Thread: Need advice...

User Info Menu

Default Need advice...

Hey guys, I was just wondering whether it's worth getting a double bass pedal, and keeping the cymbals that come with the kit... Or buying new cymbals then buying a new pedal when funds allow?
    This is the kit I'm getting:
    LEEDY NRG 5 PIECE STOMP DRUM KIT/SET BLACK

This is the pedal...
    GIBRALTER VELOCITY DOUBLE PEDAL

And I don't know what cymbals to get, so any help on that front would be appreciated, bearing in mind I'm only 14 and I'm not rich haha.
    Thanks guys

[I]*sorry JD, but the Forum Rules prohibit commercial links, so I had to do an edit. - PB*/I]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need advice...

Welcome to Drum Chat JoeyDrummer!

How long have you been playing? If you are just starting out, I wouldn't worry about the double pedal right away. As to the cymbals that come with the kit, they are usually not worth much. I would look into getting the best cymbals I could afford - including possibly, used pro quality cymbals.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I had never heard of that brand, so I googled it. Looks like they may be pretty decent quality drums with nice hardware. I'm with Pastor Bob skip the pedal and don't cheap out on the cymbals. It looks like that set could last you a quite awhile with some quality cymbals.

User Info Menu

Im going to say get the cymbals because Im assuming the set youre looking at is an entry-level and will come with low-end cymbals.

Spend your money on good cymbals and add the pedal later.

Welcome to the board.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

New cymbals are always a good choice.

User Info Menu

Definitely worry about the double pedal later. In my experience it always seems to pay to get good quality products first off as opposed to buying entry level and working your way up to professional grade, that is if you're sure this going to be your thing for many years to come. You don't get anything back on an investment in cheap equipment, so it's money lost. I would start one at a time with the cymbals...buy a good set of hihats, then get a ride, then a crash, etc. They'll last forever and always be worth the money you paid (to you at least!).

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat muddogsrule!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+1 on skipping the DB pedal for now. I'd wait at least 6 months.

And yes, switch out those cymbals ASAP. All stock cymbals make pretty nice frisbees.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Thanks pastor Bob!

User Info Menu

What's your budget for cymbals? Either way, get the cymbals before the double-bass.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice everyone (: I've been playing for "3" Years, but the first two I took it as a joke around with mates getting our of lessons for drum lessons, but in the last year I've really got hooked on drumming :D I think I will skip the pedal for now, What cymbals would you recommend? I have roughly £450 and the kit will cost £340ish, so that leaves £110, but I could always borrow an extra £50 or something off my parents to get cymbals Thanks a lot guys (:

User Info Menu

Look for some Sabian B8's for Paiste PST 5's. They're both pretty good entry level cymbals that fit into your budget. You could also look for used mid-level cymbals like Paiste Alpha or Sabian Xs20.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll check them out now (:

User Info Menu

Okay, I'm confused, I've got the Sabian B8 series performance pack, then the Sabian B8 Pro performance pack? 1st is approx £161, the Pro is approx £165... What's the difference? Oh and check this out for some special deal... You can add a FREE 18" crash, but... when you do the price goes from £165... to £212?! Hahahaha Craaazzy!

User Info Menu

b8 pros usually sound a little bit better and have a nice finish.
    if you can afford them, get em
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

The Zildjian A Customs are great sounding cymbals too.

I suggest a trip to your local shop to see what sounds best to your ears and since you have a budget to stay with try buying what you like used to save yourself a bunch of cash.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Agreeing with what most of us have said and definitely go with the cymbals for now.
    Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.