Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap starter quality drumsets

User Info Menu

Default Cheap starter quality drumsets

I want to get into drumming really bad but with the economy the way it is and no job at the age of 17 it's becoming difficult so I've lowered my standards. I really wanted to get a Gretsch Catalina maple set a while back. That alone is $700 and that's without cymbals and such, it's just out of the question. My budget for drum shells is $400 and it would be great if it came with hardware but it's not necessary. I just want to know the best quality kit I can buy for $400 or less.

Also I will be needing cymbals of course. My budget for cymbals would probably be about $200-$300, I already have a B8 16" crash which I will be using whether it sucks or not because it's one less cymbal I have to buy. I'll want to at least have hi-hats, crash, and a ride. I already have a crash but if there's a cymbal pack out there with another crash and it's in the price range than so be it.

The type of music I'll be playing is basically metal. Avenged Sevenfold, The Devil Wears Prada, Bring Me The Horizon, Underoath, anything with double bass really. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by gtrplyr; 08-02-2010 at 07:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap starter quality sets

gtrplyr, have you thought about looking for a used kit. If you are needing to go with something entry level, then I see a lot of them on the used musical equipment sites. You will lose a lot of value on an entry level kit just by leaving the store. I made that mistake myself. By getting it used, you are aknowledging that it is temporary, and you will also have more money to spend on good heads and cymbals.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Your best best is probably going to be to get a used set. With the $600-$700 budget that you have, you can get a really nice used kit with hardware and cymbals. The only problem with buying used is that the market is what it is, sometimes there are deals to be had and sometimes there aren't. You may have to be patient.

If you end up going new then the Tama Imperialstar is a great entry-level kit (I own one myself). For $700 you'll get hardware, cymbals, throne, pedal, everything. It's literally a complete drum set in a box and it's all great quality stuff. I have no complaints about mine. I tried going the used route initially but nothing came up so, after a month, I decided to get a new Imperialstar and I'm actually happy I did.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Pearl Forum/Export
    Anything Tama, Grestch, DW you can find under $500
    PDP
    Sound Percussion?
    Any kit can be good with new heads, keep that in mind too.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I've heard Custom Classic kits are fantastic for the money...similar to the Gretsch Catalina's but for like half the price. I haven't had any personal experience with them though, but there are several people on here who own these kits.

I'd also keep an eye out for used Gretsch Catalinas, Tama Superstars, Mapex Meridians, etc. That way you'll get a great mid-level kit for the same money as a beginner set, and it won't lose as much value over time like PB said.

As for cymbals, you've already got a crash so that only leaves you hats and a ride to get for now. You should be able to get Sabian Xs20 hats and ride for within the cymbal budget you put, and those are really great B20 cast cymbals that you'll be able to keep for a long time. And again, if you decide to go used you can find even better cymbals for that price.
    Matt

dave0549jv Guest

+1 on the used kit. The first kit i picked up was a used Pearl export for about 400 bucks, and it has served me well for almost two years. I'm just now trying to sell it, and based on what others are selling for, im glad i went for the better quality kit. if i had been trying to sell a sound percussion set right now, i wouldnt expect to get anything for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    if i had been trying to sell a sound percussion set right now, i wouldnt expect to get anything for it.
    That's the key right there. Selling an entry-level Pearl or Tama won't really be that bad. You'll get a decent amount of money back if you've taken care of it. Trying to sell a Pulse or Sound Percussion set, you're going to take a big hit. Better to keep those sets and beat the Hell out of 'em.

User Info Menu

+ 1 on used kits for your budget but make sure it is not a low end cause 700 would be too much money and you would'nt get it back. Pearl vision/export would be in your price range with cymbals.

User Info Menu

The problem with going used is I'd be leaving it all up to chance because this is going to be a Christmas present. So if there aren't any kits I can find around Christmas time then I get nothing. If I buy new and start doing my research now then I know that it will always be available. I have been checking the used sales sites (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the actual site but I think it's obvious). There really isn't anything on that site right now, I did find one about a year ago that was a 8 piece pearl kit with about 6 high end zildjan cymbals. He was selling it for $1000 when it was easily worth double that. The cymbals alone added up to $1000 new. I wish I could've gotten that kit.

dave0549jv Guest

there's definitely a certain amount of luck involved in finding a decent used kit. certainly a lot of patience and persistence are required, but good deals can be had if you're able to put the time in.

Of course it might be a bummer if Santa showed up late for Christmas...

User Info Menu

Your best bet is to go used. Bottom line. There isn't a starter set out there that will hold it's value once you're ready to upgrade.
    DRUMS
    Fibes Clear Crystalite, 22"/16"/12"
    SNARES
    Pork Pie Piglite Amber Acrylic, 13x7"
    Mapex Black Panther Hand Hammered Steel, 14x6"
    CYMBALS
    Sabian AAX-celerator 15" Hi-hats
    Sabian AA 17" Medium Thin Crash
    Sabian AA 18" Rock Crash
    Sabian AAX 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
    MISC
    DW5000 Single Pedal
    Assorted Hardware
    Remo/Aquarian Heads

User Info Menu

I don't think the whole value difference between starter and intermediate packs is really that big of a deal. Let's say you buy a Tama Impersialstar for $700. Hardware and cymbals are worth at least $200, so we'll call the shells a $500 kit. Keep it in good condition and you can turn around and sell this later for $300. Now lets say I buy some Tama Superstars for $1,000. Down the road I can sell it for $800. Yeah, the Superstars will hold the value better in terms of percentages, but either way you're losing about the same amount of money.

User Info Menu

Keep yor eyes open, you might run across a great deal on some used drums. About ten years ago I bought a beat up old Pearl Forum set for $40, yes forty dollars! It had cymbals (junky ones), stands, bass petal, and even a 1971 Ludwig Supraphonic snare in its original case! The man got his Beer, and I got a second drumset. In this economy, just look around a bit.

User Info Menu

You, as like everyone else has said, could buy used. There are a lot of good used sets out there that comes as a package with hardware and cymbals, but there unfortunately is a very strong luck factor attached as well. And the chances of finding said good deal at a specific time might be risky. Although around the holidays is when there are some great deals out there. Cause everyone is looking to buy in the months leading up to the silly season. And the sellers know this also. Or you can go new with a Custom Classic 5 piece Jazz kit with all hardware for $470.00 free shipping. And while your at it pick up some Amici cymbals as well. 14" hats, 12" splash, 18" crash, & a 20" ride for $280.00 free shipping as well. $750.00 total brand new and will serve you well for a long time without breaking the bank. Check it out. Cheers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

LUDWIG CS COMBO...Nuff said

User Info Menu

mapex m birch used between 300-400 they look nice and sound great 100% birch shells !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

You will absolutely not go wrong with Custom Classics. I have a 7 pc Custom Classic, and a 5 pc Pearl Vision. Love them both, but for the money...............definately Custom Classic............ Forgot to mention, they are all birch, came with double braced hardware, base pedal, throne, and shipped to my door for less than $500 bucks. I then bought some zht's and wa-la......a brand new, great sounding kit for very little dough
    Last edited by CrossPoint; 08-04-2010 at 11:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Yep, +1 for the used kits.
    Look around at your local classifieds online and even in the newspaper, I've been looking at my local classifieds and I've been seeing some pretty decent deals.
    Well... if you are going to try and find something in your classifieds, make sure that you try everything out to make sure there aren't any major cosmetic issues that could affect tone.
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    mapex m birch used between 300-400 they look nice and sound great 100% birch shells !
    This. Easily, this.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've been drumming for about 2 months maybe a little less I got a four piece sound percussion with hardware and a crappy 16 inch crash and 13 inch hats for about 350. They are perfect for a beginner set I put some evans ec2 heads on them and they sound fine. I'd recomend this set the cymbals I got with them were awful but you can find replacements easy check craigs list I got a set of zildjian zxts, 2 crashes a ride and hats for 180. I'd reccomend this set but I will say you do get what you pay for I've been paying for at least 2 hours a day since I got it and yesterday I noticed the lugs on my bass drum were almost falling out.

User Info Menu

look on ebay for some used pearl forums or exports, theyr pretty cheap, and for a beginner set, they sound pretty good
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplyr View Post
    The problem with going used is I'd be leaving it all up to chance because this is going to be a Christmas present. So if there aren't any kits I can find around Christmas time then I get nothing. If I buy new and start doing my research now then I know that it will always be available. I have been checking the used sales sites (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the actual site but I think it's obvious). There really isn't anything on that site right now, I did find one about a year ago that was a 8 piece pearl kit with about 6 high end zildjan cymbals. He was selling it for $1000 when it was easily worth double that. The cymbals alone added up to $1000 new. I wish I could've gotten that kit.
    One word.....Layaway! That's how I bought my used SBX kit I found at my local music store. It's a win win situation for both retailer and you the consumer. Typically, stores that participate in lawaway plans require 30% deposit of the entire purchase price including sales tax. Three monthly installments (if you need more time, they should deal with you) and your purchase is yours. The store makes out by having your cash interest free, and you get to walk out with gear held for you at the end of just a short wait.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap starter quality drumsets

I recommend the sound percussion 8 piece it has two 22" x 16" kick drums, 10" x 8", 12" x 9", and 13" x 10" toms, 14" x 14" and 16" x 16" floor toms, a matching 14" x 5-1/2" snare drum for $600 it also comes with
    # Double-braced snare stand
    # 3 Double-braced boom cymbal stands
    # Double-braced hi-hat stand
    # Boom cymbal arm
    I'm not sure what pedals it comes though so you may have to replace them but you can find pretty cheap pedals like the iron cobra junior (single pedal around $70 and the double about $150)

User Info Menu

Look around on craigslist. I found a Tama rockstar kit with a paiste 2002 ride, zildjian new beat hats, other random cymbals and all dw hardware with a dw 5000 pedal for 250 bucks.
    RAWR!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Ludwig cs combo, nuff said. I got mine for $320 on ebay, and it comes with hardware. Awesome starter kit.