Thread: Preventing Rust???

User Info Menu

Question Preventing Rust???

Alright, so the rims/hoops on my drums are at the of stage right before rusting. (This isn't due to neglect, I live in Japan where it's humid) My dad says that I should use car compound to get the rust off, then rub car wax on it, and then spray a clear laquer coating on it. (I forget if he said the car wax part but whatever, ill ask if again)
    He says the rims are going to lose a good amount of shine but they won't rust.
    I'm thinking of doing this. What do you guys think???
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: Preventing Rust???

I have read this post from you before. If you think you can't stop your hoops from rusting then I may suggest painting them with a rust paint. With all the replies you received over this subject like wd40, 3 in 1 oil, silicone spray,car wax etc, the paint maybe your solution as there are so many colors to match your kit. Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I have read this post from you before. If you think you can't stop your hoops from rusting then I may suggest painting them with a rust paint. With all the replies you received over this subject like wd40, 3 in 1 oil, silicone spray,car wax etc, the paint maybe your solution as there are so many colors to match your kit. Good luck
    Actually, the other thread and this thread are different. The other thread I made was just asking for rust prevention methods and this thread is asking if it's a good idea or not to spray a laquer coating on the the rims.

But yeah, I think I might go with the paint.
    Thanks

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

im not sure how you would prevent it but try comet cleaner to remove spots. its for stove tops but it works on about everything so id give that a shot

User Info Menu

If you have used any product with silicon in it via WD40 car wax, automotive rubbing and polishing compounds, silicone spary, then you need to carefully clean them with a silicone remover or the clear coat or paint that you are attempting to spray will fisheye. The coating will not stick to silicone and it causes the finish to seperate and look like it has fisheyes (holes) in the finsih. It is hard to explain but suffice it to say it will look bad. If you are dead set on clear coating your chrome to protect it from rust then that is the only advise I have particularly if you are going to remove the rust with rubbing compound and then car wax. Car polishes are usally full of silicone becuase of its protective and UV qaulities but automotive finishes, spray paint, etc. will not go over it well once it has been applied. You can purchase the reomover at any automotive paint retailer, It smells like some sort of light solvent similar to Laquer thinner only not as caustic. I do not know what is in it, but i will say that Laquer thinner does not work as well however, just tell the salesman what you are trying to accomplish and he can get you the product that you need. Pay particular attention to applying it in all of the corners and cracks and grooves with a brush, because it doesn't matter where silicone is it will ruin your top coat. so make sure what you are trying to coat is absolutly clean.

User Info Menu

I use WD40 on everything that has metal on my drumset, that should work
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    If you have used any product with silicon in it via WD40 car wax, automotive rubbing and polishing compounds, silicone spary, then you need to carefully clean them with a silicone remover or the clear coat or paint that you are attempting to spray will fisheye. The coating will not stick to silicone and it causes the finish to seperate and look like it has fisheyes (holes) in the finsih. It is hard to explain but suffice it to say it will look bad. If you are dead set on clear coating your chrome to protect it from rust then that is the only advise I have particularly if you are going to remove the rust with rubbing compound and then car wax. Car polishes are usally full of silicone becuase of its protective and UV qaulities but automotive finishes, spray paint, etc. will not go over it well once it has been applied. You can purchase the reomover at any automotive paint retailer, It smells like some sort of light solvent similar to Laquer thinner only not as caustic. I do not know what is in it, but i will say that Laquer thinner does not work as well however, just tell the salesman what you are trying to accomplish and he can get you the product that you need. Pay particular attention to applying it in all of the corners and cracks and grooves with a brush, because it doesn't matter where silicone is it will ruin your top coat. so make sure what you are trying to coat is absolutly clean.
    Hey thanks a lot. I didn't know that.
    I think I'm just going to stick with just car wax for now actually. It seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Ever thought about painting the rims GOLD? Maybe all of the metal attached to the shell?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!