Thread: What mixer settings to use?

User Info Menu

Default What mixer settings to use?

What settings do you guys use on your mixer? I'm having trouble getting it dialed in right because i'm still trying to figure out how the knobs work together the best. On my mixer is a top section of PRE,(6 knobs total) and a lower section for EQ knobs,(4 total- 1 high, 2 mid, 1 low) trim, fader, mute, solo, and a lowcut filter for each channel.

What settings would you recommend for the bass, snare(batter/reso mic'd), rack toms, floor tom, hats, ride, and room mics? I've looked up youtube videos on setting levels but I always end up confused cause none of them make much sense, I just wanna know a good setting to use for each of those channels i'm using. How much to cut out, and where, would be very very helpful.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: What mixer settings to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What settings do you guys use on your mixer? I'm having trouble getting it dialed in right because i'm still trying to figure out how the knobs work together the best. On my mixer is a top section of PRE,(6 knobs total) and a lower section for EQ knobs,(4 total- 1 high, 2 mid, 1 low) trim, fader, mute, solo, and a lowcut filter for each channel.

What settings would you recommend for the bass, snare(batter/reso mic'd), rack toms, floor tom, hats, ride, and room mics? I've looked up youtube videos on setting levels but I always end up confused cause none of them make much sense, I just wanna know a good setting to use for each of those channels i'm using. How much to cut out, and where, would be very very helpful.
    What mixer do you have Russ? What mics are you using? Is this your mixer?

And do you have your kit mic like this hook up diagram?

Last edited by late8; 08-03-2010 at 03:46 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm using samson q series mics on the drums, 2 qkick for kicks, 2 qsnare for snare, 4 qtom for rack tom, 1 qtom for floor tom, mxl 991's on hats and ride, and mxl 990's as overheads.
    Last edited by Russ; 08-03-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Russ- Here's a pic of the SR24's front panel strip:

The top 6 knobs you were asking about are aux sends for monitors and head phones. Aux #1 and #2 are wired as pre-fader so you will hear audio after the amplifier (any source that is plugged into the mixer AFTER the amp such as vocal monitors, playback audio for play-along ipod etc.)
    Aux sends #3 and #4 are post aux sends but can be set to pre-fader by depressing the PRE switch. They have nothing to do with the actual audio mix.

The EQ panel (green arrow) is where you make your adjustments for highs mids and lows. Start out flat or zero EQ and adjust according to your tastes.

There's no set formula for mixing drums. But there are guidelines that must be followed. Set the trim knob (red box) on each channel (at top of channel panel) to "U". If the volume is too loud or you need some headroom adjustment, then lower the trim a bit and vise versa if too low.

There are so many variables in recording and micing drums. Room noise isolation, drum heads, mics, and mic placement all contribute to the final outcome to the sound you want recorded. Make sure each channel is active and the mute button (yellow box) is NOT activated. Use the low cut filter if the drums are too loud and you don't have enough "knob" left to turn the level down.

Lots of back and forth between the kit, the mics and the PC until you get the sound you want. Tuning, and dampening will also help up "shape" the sustain and tone you want from your toms. Remember, what sounds good to the "ear" will not necessarily sound good on recorded media.

User Info Menu

Ahh I see, thanks. But i'm really looking for some levels to try, what do you use?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ahh I see, thanks. But i'm really looking for some levels to try, what do you use?
    Level to use-Always start out flat EQ and use the normal level setting. If the levels are too loud use the -20db cut switch and re-adjust the fader level accordingly.

User Info Menu

Alright I switched PC's and the shoutbox isn't loading so I'll answer here.

Russ, the most important part of setting it up is the trim levels and it sounds like you're not sure how to do that. So here goes.

For each channel (track) that you have a mic connected to, following these procedures. Set all your EQ's to FLAT (in the middle) and all faders to zero (all the way down).

1) Press the SOLO select on that track. The solo button is along the fader for each channel.

2) Make sure the PreFader button is in the UP position, which will give you PFL (pre-fader listen). This should show the level for that track in the level meter lights right near that switch. It will only be one side of the lights because it's mono.

3) Now hit the drum that is hooked up to that mic and see how the level is. It should reach the end of the green lights, and occasionally a little in to the yellow. If it's too low the sound will be too weak, too high the sound will distort. To adjust the level, adjust the TRIM knob for that channel at the top.

4) Repeat the procedure for all mics. For any room or overheads, you are probably going to have to play the whole kit and somehow watch the level as well (hard to do alone).

5) Once you have all the trim levels set accordingly, then it's time to play around with the faders. This is more trial and error, but start by setting each channel's fader to U (for Unity) or 0 if that's what it has.

6) You'll also have to do trial and error in terms of the main fader levels as well.

Post more about how it's all setup and I might be able to help more.

But the steps above are the basic way to setup a mixer for recording!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

So start with everything at unity gain? Should I mute all channels except for the one i'm checking until I get the sound dialed in?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

When you SOLO a track, that sets everything else to MUTE automatically, so you don't have to bother.

And yes start with everything at Unity and adjust from there.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I still don't know how to work the eq frequencies though. Therein lies the problem, what do you use for snare, bass, and toms?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I still don't know how to work the eq frequencies though. Therein lies the problem, what do you use for snare, bass, and toms?
    Flat EQ and add as if adding seasoning to your favorite receipe. You must understand, there is no two drummer who will have the exact EQ settings between them. EQ is to help "fix" bad acoustics in a room. You adjust your EQ levels if you start hearing feed back from any mic channels that are open. The High, Mid and Low knobs at each channel strip is where you need to make the adjustments for the snare, toms, kick and overheads.

Snare- High knob is set really low to keep harshness out of mix. Mids are off and Low is off
    Toms- Highs are at mid level, Mids are low and Low is set off to keep them from over resonating and bleeding into each tom mic.
    Kick- High knob set low, Mids set low and Low is at mid range if there's not enough punch.

If you have the high mid and low knobs at each channel strip adjusted to your tastes, then the EQ band should be run flat and if you hear squeels or feed back, find the frequency that's feeding back (indicated by red LED peak level indicator at EQ band) and bring that particular frequency down at the EQ band and leave the high mid and low knobs at the channel strip alone.

User Info Menu

Yeah that's more like what I was wondering, cause my EQ was wayyy off. I had the kicks lows boosted like crazy and don't really know how to do it right still. Thanks much.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yeah that's more like what I was wondering, cause my EQ was wayyy off. I had the kicks lows boosted like crazy and don't really know how to do it right still. Thanks much.
    You're welcome. Keep asking, I'm sure they'll be more questions to come!

User Info Menu

Great thread Russ!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!