Thread: New

User Info Menu

Default New

How's everyone doing? This is my first post on here and just had a few questions. Well I got my first kit recently and starting to get into it, but something just doesn't sound right. Since i'm new to the drum world i'm not too sure that i'm tuning them correctly. I've heard the stock heads are terrible, if this is true which brand would you suggest? oh btw i just bought a little cheap sound percussion kit so if i didn't like it I wouldn't have blown a lot of money, but fortunately they were out of the cymbals so they gave me a set of paiste pst3. Any input would be great!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New

Welcome to the forum KSz! I always say any kit is better than no kit at all. Better heads will improve the overall sound of you set.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat! I would recommend taking a look at Evans G2's for batter heads, they are a great all-around head. The stock bottom heads should be fine for now.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Welcome KSZ!! There are a ton of videos on youtube that show how to tune your kit. Watch a couple of them until you find one with the sound you want. The others are right, you probably want to replace the batter heads (top heads) on your drums with something else. Evans, Remo, Aquarian, and others make some pretty affordable options.

User Info Menu

I would try different heads and choose the sound that you like the most... but that would be a little expensive... lol
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat KSz!

Your story sounds very much like my own from several years ago. I bought a beginner kit thinking that if I didn't have what it takes to be a drummer, I wasn't out too much. Within the first year I was so sure that I could be a good drummer that I bought a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and I saved the beginner kit for my son. I like a nice open sound, so I use a single ply head, and right now I am using a single ply coated head because the sound is a little warmer. I wouldn't be in a big rush to replace heads right away, because you don't yet know what you like. Give yourself a little time to figure out what you like to hear, then you'll be able to get the heads that make that sound happen for you. Also, through the chat here, you will learn a lot that will help you make good decisions and save you money.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC and enjoy your stay, King Size!

I'd do like everybody else said and buy new batter heads and tune them correctly, but make sure everything is in the "right" place ("right" meaning that everything is in the correct spot to avoid muscle strain, but also so you're comfortable with the setup) and that the angles on both the toms and cymbals allow you to strike them well and cause the least amount of damage to them as possible.

Welcome to the wide world of drumming, too!
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: New

Welcome to the forum. You heard right all new kits come with the cheapest heads available which is usually the Remo Amassadors single ply. Change them to any 2ply Remo Emperors or Evan's G2s and you will see the difference it makes to the sound of your kit. The tuning part in most cases his about the same method. You finger tight, then 1 full turn and check all tensions to be the same by tapping 1 inch from the edge at the rods. This should give you a good sound if not, tighten up 1/4 of turn at a time to your desired sound. Good luck and welcome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat KSz!

Your story sounds very much like my own from several years ago. I bought a beginner kit thinking that if I didn't have what it takes to be a drummer, I wasn't out too much. Within the first year I was so sure that I could be a good drummer that I bought a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and I saved the beginner kit for my son. I like a nice open sound, so I use a single ply head, and right now I am using a single ply coated head because the sound is a little warmer. I wouldn't be in a big rush to replace heads right away, because you don't yet know what you like. Give yourself a little time to figure out what you like to hear, then you'll be able to get the heads that make that sound happen for you. Also, through the chat here, you will learn a lot that will help you make good decisions and save you money.
    Welcome to DC, King. I agree with PB... I would learn how to tune the drums properly first and take it easy on the spending...after all, you've just uinloaded a lot of money on the new set. At this point, nothing that you buy will improve your learning process....this, I'm afraid, just takes time and effort. Good luck !

User Info Menu

Although it's the best way to get your set sounding better, redoing your entire set with new heads can be expensive. If you don't have the cash for something like that, or just want to wait until you understand the instrument a little better before upgrading, you can always use little cheats to make those drums sound better. Moongels and e-rings are a cheap, yet effective, way to alter the sound of your drums without changing heads.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat KSZ!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum, King Size!

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Although it's the best way to get your set sounding better, redoing your entire set with new heads can be expensive. If you don't have the cash for something like that, or just want to wait until you understand the instrument a little better before upgrading, you can always use little cheats to make those drums sound better. Moongels and e-rings are a cheap, yet effective, way to alter the sound of your drums without changing heads.
    Exactly. Took the words right out of my mouth (I guess Long Island's drummers think alike ) Moongels are perfect for your situation. If I were you though, I would do what PB said:

I wouldn't be in a big rush to replace heads right away, because you don't yet know what you like. Give yourself a little time to figure out what you like to hear, then you'll be able to get the heads that make that sound happen for you. Also, through the chat here, you will learn a lot that will help you make good decisions and save you money.
    Try youtube and see what you get. Maybe one of your favorite drummers has a tuning vid on youtube! (Joey Jordison doesn't...)

Also like you said, they gave you Paiste PST 3's. Not bad cymbals, but they're for beginners (they're brass... they're not high end whatsoever) and if you want a cymbal recommendation, i'm pretty sure, actually i'm more than sure, i'm positive, if you asked Constinator25 what cymbals to get, he'd say Paiste PST 5's. If you asked the rest of the forum, they'd say the same thing; or to get some used high end cymbals (such as Sabian AA, HH, AAX, HHX... Zildjian A Customs or K customs... and Paiste 2002, RUDE, Signatures, maybe Alphas as well).

Good luck to you and have fun on the forum!

jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board KS0.

It is true that new heads will sound better but at your level of just starting you wont really notice a difference and, if you are having trouble tuning the stock heads then you will also have trouble getting the new heads to sound good.

It will take time and patience going loose then tighter and testing the sound. I suggest keeping the stock heads for now and experiment.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC! Keep the stock heads until you where them out! By that time, you'll have a better grasp on what you want.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll keep ya'll updated.