Thread: Chops

User Info Menu

Default Chops

Hey DC I was a member here for about 4 years, 13drummer. but I've lost the password and no longer have the email to get it, so. Made this profile to get back in the forum. Now...

I was wondering what you do to work on your chops? That's been my biggest part of practicing over the past few months(thus the username). I've mainly been doing simple/intermediate rudiments, gradually raising bpm. How about you?

-Mini
    "On the road to success there are no shortcuts."

"It's not the years you play, it's the hours." -Mark Zonder

User Info Menu

Default Re: Chops

90% of the time ,when i sit down behind my set. i have no idea what im going to play . i just let it flow .. destination unknown .......
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Good to see you back 13drummer/Minipoulterchops!

I'm currently doing sticking studies to improve my chops. Of course, I am still at the bottom of the heap and looking up, when it comes to chops.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I do a lot of improv. jams with as many people as I can. This keeps me on my toes because I make things up as I play.

User Info Menu

I just play. I know I should work on rudiments more. But they just aren't fun.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Create exercises that relate to what you're having problems with. If you can't think of patterns to play, get Mike Johnston's linear drumming book. If your hand/foot speed isn't fast enough loop patterns of RLKK RRKK LLKK etc.

User Info Menu

Yeah I've been doing pretty much everything you guys have mentioned. Probably 75% of the time I'll just sit behind the kit and jam for an hour. Ive just recently decided to spend much more time on a pad, just because I feel its necessary and I can get better that way

User Info Menu

mmmmmm pork chops mmmmmmm....

User Info Menu

There is pleasure in sitting down at the kit an playing away. I wouldn't recommend it as a primary method of practicing though except for conditioning. Playing is as much knowing how to pull off what you feel as it is playing what you can. As uneventful as practicing the rudiments is, learning and putting rudiment combinations together around the kit takes as much time and effort to do well as any other aspect of drumming. Drummers are plentiful, good drummers are not. What separates the many from the few?

The rewads of playing music are so often immediate and because of that proper practicing is difficult to maintain. Just remember, specially the younger drummers, what you can pull off tomorrow will usually do more for you then what you can do today. Be patient and practice smart. It is a better use of you time and efforts. It is also what will make you stick out from the crowd. Sticking out because you are good will take you far.

Think your chops out and then practice them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    mmmmmm pork chops mmmmmmm....
    HAHA! Exactly

I found an easier way to make rudiments fun is just jamming on the kit and using them often.