Thread: Recording drums with an xbox mic

User Info Menu

Default Recording drums with an xbox mic

OK, Thanks to Jordison's thread HERE about using an XBOX Guitar Hero mic, I decided to give it a try and part with a Hamilton. This recording is unchanged... It has not been EQ'd or had any FX added. It's as bone dry as my momma's cookin'....

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dnx0le

No doubt, It's not the quality of a close mic or evan a "recorderman x/y" recording, but for grins and giggles, it aint half bad for a $10 mic....
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording drums with an xbox mic

For a 10 quid mic! thats awesome!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

nice chops CD..sounds great for a xbox mic!

User Info Menu

Not bad at all CycleDude. As sophisticated as things can get, it's nice to know that simple works too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Definitely not half bad for a cheap, quick, room mic style recording. Maybe give it a whirl this weekend.

I wonder how it would handle high levels of a whole band.

Nice playing too!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Not bad at all.. You can hear a little bit of scratchy sounds though when it gets louder, but it sounds very good. Well done.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Not bad at all.. You can hear a little bit of scratchy sounds though when it gets louder, but it sounds very good. Well done.
    Yup, I think the mic level was too high and it peaked. I'll keep messin with it. I compressed it and added a pinch of verb and it sounds way better. This is kinda fun...
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Yup, I think the mic level was too high and it peaked. I'll keep messin with it. I compressed it and added a pinch of verb and it sounds way better. This is kinda fun...
    Good for you CD. What I would do is check your mic level as you sound like you are clipping. Also love that you are starting to mess with plug ins. Like I said it is a slippery slope. If you dry out your recording room and add Reverb on the back end you can dial in the "Wetness" to taste. A touch of compression will help as well which you have already figured out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Good for you CD. What I would do is check your mic level as you sound like you are clipping. Also love that you are starting to mess with plug ins. Like I said it is a slippery slope. If you dry out your recording room and add Reverb on the back end you can dial in the "Wetness" to taste. A touch of compression will help as well which you have already figured out.
    Thanks, nucjd.

My room is 15' x 10', all sheetrock with a cement floor covered in those industrial sticky tiles, like you'd see in a school. It has a standard drop ceiling about 7' high.

Like I said, the mic level peaked, so I have to lower that. I had it placed on a stool about 3 feet from the bass drum aimed at the beater for the best attack.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

How many usb ports do you have? I wonder, if you had a usb hub and enough of these 10$ mics, would it be possible to make a more affordable multitrack recording without an interface/mixer? Just thinkin.. I've seen some sm57 immitations at Radio Shack for about 10-20$ a piece, I wonder if those would be any good.
    Last edited by Russ; 08-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    How many usb ports do you have? I wonder, if you had a usb hub and enough of these 10$ mics, would it be possible to make a more affordable multitrack recording without an interface/mixer? Just thinkin.. I've seen some sm57 immitations at Radio Shack for about 10-20$ a piece, I wonder if those would be any good.
    No, it just picks up more of the drums. Each mic has a sensitivity level that's unique to each mic. Mine was perfect for drums because it wasn't too sensitive and if placed correctly. It took me forever to get it mixed with my guitar track. Recording with more than one mic will (since it is NOT a drum mic, it really is a vocal mic, for, well, Rock Band) pick up EVERYTHING. I mean it. I was yelling at one point because i hit my finger on the rim of my floor tom during recording, it picked it up... And i was playing pretty loud and the mic was placed, 10 or so feet away from my kit (due to the acoustics in my basement). :/ But they do well. It picked up guitat very well, I must say that.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Maybe my problem can be fixed by NOT playing like Lars Ulrich. Hmm. Anyway the more polished recording of my band will be up next week, kaos, if you want to check out how a whole band (or 2 guitarists and a drummer) sound on the mics.

Check it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Maybe my problem can be fixed by NOT playing like Lars Ulrich. Hmm.
    I hear that. I think I blew the mic out on my test. I tried doing it again today, and it was as if there was no mic plugged in. Either that or I dont know what I'm doing with Audacity, which is a distinct possibility. Is Audicity pretty user friendly or are there bugs that make it funky?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Try turning down the gain/volume settings to avoid overloading the mic in the future. It could just be a problem with SPL levels, so if you don't overwork the mic it will work much better.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

@CycleDude

Audacity is pretty user friendly. While its not the best program, it is one of the greatest for the money (free ). Use amplify in the effects section if the mic is actually picking up something. Increase until the "OK" button disappears (about 10 or so dB), and then change the dB level to as high as it can go before you can't click "OK". It may just be that the mic got messed up the last time. It could just be audacity. To make sure it isn't your mic, use sound recorder on your computer to check. It'll record for min then automatically stop once it reaches the min mark.

Even if the mic DID break, it's worth $10. Not much of a loss, since it can be replaced for next to nothing.
    Last edited by jordison515; 08-10-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: If its not the best how can it be the BEST? I have no idea

Check it.

User Info Menu

I love Audacity.. I haven't found one reason to stop using it and change up to another more complex program. It does what I need- I can record to it, multitrack, effects/mix, editing, etc. Is there something more than that a good software program needs to be able to do? It can even save you hundreds vs those other big names like cubase, logic, sonar, pro tools, etc.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments