Thread: Finger Technique?

User Info Menu

Default Finger Technique?

Hi, I feel like my single stroke rolls can't get any faster and I've reached like a wall of how fast I can go. (it's not that fast). so I'm starting to learn finger technique because I heard that if you master the fingers, and then mix it with your wrist, you can get a lot faster.

So, some websites tell me to do finger exercises with french grip, but I'm wondering if I should do it in american grip since that is how i play on the drum set? (i had a teacher, and he said to do it in american)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Finger Technique?

Blaque, I am learning the beginnings of finger technique right now - so I am no expert - and I use the American grip. The way that I understand finger technique, you are controlling the bounce by "catching the stick," or facillitating the bounce through finger pressure. That technique can be used with any grip style, so you should have no problem applying it to the American grip -theoretically. It's a whole lot easier to expalin that to do! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Using French grip to work your fingers is fine. Don't worry about confusion. I learned that way and it never messed with my regular grip. I would also advise you to keep using your wrist to work on singles. Many drummers give up on this far too early. It takes time to build speed but it can be achieved. I've always had blazing single strokes and this was before I ever even started working on finger technique.

User Info Menu

thanks. i can do 16ths at 190 bpm on the snare. my goal is around 205, but at that speed being able to change from the snare to another drum (toms) at every 8th note smoothly. i will do french grip

User Info Menu

16ths at 190 is pretty good. Drumming works this way though; abilities come much faster at first. In math, physics, econonmic, etc. it's a concept known as diminishing returns. You reach a point where you have to put more and more into practicing to get the hoped for retun in talent. It's a reality with everything. Not just the drums.

There was a time when everyone thought it would be impossible to run a mile in 4 minutes or pole vault more the 6 meters. The mile is now at 3:48 and the vault exceeds 6 meters. Will 3 minutes or 7 meters ever be broken?

Just be patient, stick to it and you although you may never reach you goals, you will get faster and faster.

Sticking technique isn't all that important. No matter what technique you use, you trade something for something else. Finger technique with a french grip will be faster the American, but you'll never have the power you can get with the American grip. Finger technique is faster the Moeller, but Moeller will always be more powerful then finger, and some rudiment combinations are almost impossible with the finger technique because Moeller offers much more idividual stroke control. Remember this though, Learning French will help with American, Moeller, German, etc. Learning Moeller will help with your American, German, French, etc. grip. etc. etc. etc.

User Info Menu

Flying fingers - used by a lot of death metal drummers for their uber-fast blasts and rolls.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I don't really understand the whole finger technique thing. Embarrassingly enough, this is the first i've really heard of it. I thought the was just standard and traditional grips. I can do 16ths at 205, but only for two measures, then it starts to slow down and get off track. It's enough time to do a little run down the toms, but It would be nice if I could keep it up a little longer than that. I don't know about my fingers, but I can feel my forearms tighten up big time when I try to play that fast.

Is French grip just thumbs facing straight up? Thats what I tend to do naturally the faster a roll gets.