Thread: When Tightening, Lugs Squeak?

User Info Menu

Default When Tightening, Lugs Squeak?

Okay, like out of 16 lugs on my snare, about 6-7 squeak when they get about 60% tight. I am using this thing called drum tuning bible on the internet by prof or something, and it one of the methods are moderately tight on batter head, and tight on snare side. So I am wondering if this squeaking could mean that my lugs are damaged? Because I tried to tune this many times and the snare never sounds good. (when i first got my drum set, i wasn't smart, i was 10 and i just tightened as hard as i could each lug, which maybe caused damage?) (i played with it like that too)

User Info Menu

Default Re: When Tightening, Lugs Squeak?

and will damaged lugs, change drum sound?

User Info Menu

Is the squeaking from the head or the lugs? Any head creaks and groans when you crank it down the first time. You can grease the tension rods so they move more freely in the lugs. I've never done it, but if you search there are a lot of recommended products to do that.

As for doing damage by tightening a snare batter head all the way, shouldn't happen unless you somehow tighten it stronger than humanly possible. Many people play with their batter head as tight as it can go by hand.

The drum tuning bible is one many of us use and steer people towards as a guideline. You should be able to get your snare tuned correctly using those steps. However, if the batter is worn and fairly old, sometimes it just won't tune.

If you want more tuning guidance search for Bob Gatzen videos on Youtube. They are very informative and helpful as well.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Use 3 in 1 oil on the tension rods and make sure the springs on the lugs are not seized. If they are put a drop or two down the rod sleeve. To find out if any of this is your probem, loosen the tension rods and you should be able to push down on them. If they spring up a little then the springs are ok if not they need lubrication. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Good info MCX. Probably should do some treatment on the old Tamas next time I take them out of storage.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

A little dab of petroleum jelly (aka vaseline) on the threads of the lugs should solve the problem.

User Info Menu

Right. Use petroleum jelly instead of 3 in 1. Less messy and won't produce dark oil staining over time.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Smile Re: When Tightening, Lugs Squeak?

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Right. Use petroleum jelly instead of 3 in 1. Less messy and won't produce dark oil staining over time.
    If 3 in 1 is used in moderation it will not leave a mess like you describe. 1 drop on the threads of the tension rod is enough as it will lubricate itself when turning inside the sleave. Now if you soak the tension rods in 3 in 1 then I can see it being messy, again if used correctly there is no problem. Just thought I'd verify that.