Thread: One of my stics aren't straight...

User Info Menu

Question One of my stics aren't straight...

I rolled my sticks (vic firth 5a's just in case you guys were wondering) on the ground to see if they were straight and I found out one of them was slightly bent (not too bad). They are pretty new and it's kind of a waste if I threw it away.
    Is it bad to play with bent sticks? What's the worst that could happen?

Also, sorry about asking so many questions lately. I guess I'm just a curious guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: One of my stics aren't straight...

It's definitely not a problem, but what I usually do is buy sticks at a store and roll them before I buy! Old habit.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    It's definitely not a problem, but what I usually do is buy sticks at a store and roll them before I buy! Old habit.
    I wanted to do that but it was a small store and it would have been weird if I got on the ground and started rolling them.

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

I've noticed some of my sticks doing the same thing, but I don't think the manufacturer would let them leave the factory without being noticed.
    So I'm thinking maybe sometimes they get bent out of shape when you play them?
    I'm not sure...
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I agree. Nothing wrong with rolling them on the counter to check first.

You can use them bent , they are just awkward to play with that way. Just not worth the aggrevation for 8 bucks to me.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    I wanted to do that but it was a small store and it would have been weird if I got on the ground and started rolling them.
    I always check mine while they're still in the sleeve.
    You can hold one stick, and spin the other at the butt end.
    (Obviously switch and spin the other stick, if one checks good.)

See if the tip stands still, relative to the other... or if it moves up/down/side to side. You want it to appear to stand still.
    If the tip is not sitting steady, or you see the gap at the taper changing as you twist... try another pair.
    Last edited by Crosswire; 08-09-2010 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

16 bucks if you live in Juneau Alaska!

User Info Menu

I had a pair of sticks one time and one was more banana than stick. Crooked as a pigs tail......

Anyway, I loved it, felt right, played just fine. Didn't effect my playing at all. I just had to remember to flip the stick one way if I wanted to lead the beat and the other if I wanted to lag...... (OK that part I made up.....)

Anyway, play them until they break and get new ones..... Which was prolly your plan all along if they were stright. so, carry on sir... Nothing to see here.

-eSmith.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    I had a pair of sticks one time and one was more banana than stick. Crooked as a pigs tail......

Anyway, I loved it, felt right, played just fine. Didn't effect my playing at all. I just had to remember to flip the stick one way if I wanted to lead the beat and the other if I wanted to lag...... (OK that part I made up.....)

-eSmith.
    Too Funny.....

User Info Menu

Since we can't link to commerical sites, here's an article written by Geroge Bissinger of East Carolina University concerning "pitch" matching drums sticks. Some drumstick manufacturing companies spend time "pitch matching" their drumsticks to ensure that sticks are a matched pair. Rolling drumsticks on a flat surface will reveal warpage but will not reveal if the sticks are sonically matched in pitch.

By George Bissinger
    Physics Dept.
    East Carolina University

Quote: "Pitch is a quintessentially musical term not commonly applied to drumsticks. Yet it is considered a desirable attribute by drummers, enough to make such matching commercially viable. For the tidy harmonic series like those from string vibrations (where the frequencies fn = n x f1, and n is always an integer =1,2,3…) a well-defined pitch generally comes naturally. Although no well-defined sense of pitch is possible for drumsticks since their normal bending modes (which produce the sound we hear) are not harmonic - or even nearly so - there is still some sort of "pitch center" that allows one to achieve approximate matches by ear.

On the practical side, pitch matching of drumsticks is commonly done by those unversed in any underlying psychoacoustics explanations. Choose one drumstick from a box and then pick out any other drumstick, strike both on a hard surface and listen for a match. This takes a few seconds for each stick match and there is no minimum number of sticks to try. One might expect minutes on average to make a match from a box of sticks that have not been pre-sorted by either weight or pitch. Such rates, however, mean that using individuals to match drumsticks by ear in manufacturing consumes far too much time to be compatible with the many thousands of drumsticks throughput per day in normal manufacture.

Over 100 hickory drumsticks, in all-wood and plastic-tip models, were weighed, examined for material defects, and vibration-analyzed to create a statistical database. This database was then analyzed to find the range of mode frequencies expected to set analysis frequency bands, compute frequency relationships between modes in any one drumstick, check the effect of material defects including knots, grain twists or kinks and on vibrational behaviors. The final conclusion was very simple - only the frequency of the very lowest mode of vibration was necessary to reliably pitch match drumsticks!

On the manufacturing line this knowledge was turned into a brief (~1 s) vibration measurement after the manufacture, analyzed in few milliseconds and the drumstick was then sorted into frequency "bins". (Weights of the drumsticks were determined separately.) The pitch (and weight) matched drumsticks can then be paired and sold. To date millions have been pitched using this procedure since the manufacturer initiated the process last year.
    A little side note. The pitch and weight matching also guarantees that the drumsticks are stiffness-matched. This is due to the basic physics behind vibrating objects where if the density(mass), stiffness and shape properties of a material are known the vibration frequencies can be computed. So turning this around a little, if you know the shape, density, and vibration frequencies it is possible to get the stiffness properties". End Quote

User Info Menu

thanks guys.

late8, thanks for that. that was interesting.

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat esmith!

Thanks for the physics lesson late8!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

^^You're welcome!