Thread: Acrolites

User Info Menu

Default Acrolites

So, I've been thinking about picking up a used Ludwig Acrolite. I've noticed that there seems to be a preference towards the keystone badge 60s version of this snare, vs the 70's and newer olive badge versions. Naturally my question is whether there is really a big difference in how each sounds? I've been trying to find some locally to try out, but they seem to be much more common on the auction sites than at any of my local stores. One of the common themes seems to be a preference towards the raw vs coated aluminum shells. Is this mostly a collector preference? Also, which is the preferred configuration 5 x 14, 8 lug or 10 lug? Different depths?

I'm curious to learn more about these as acrolites, supras, and black beauties come up a lot in these forums and I'm curious to try one out.
    Last edited by MadGary; 08-09-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acrolites

Gary, you wont find any difference in sound between the 60s and 70s models. The same shell was used throughout the life of the Acro. The keystone badges are more rare and collectable, but the sound is the same. The same Ludalloy shell used on the Acrolite was also used on the Supraphonic, only difference is Acro is 8 standard lugs and Supra is 10 imperial lugs, and the Supraphonic shell was chromed. There were a few 10 lug acros, but they are pretty rare. The Acro was only offered in 5x14, the supraphonics came in 6.5x14 as well, which tends to be the more sought after drum.

User Info Menu

I didn't expect much difference in the shells but did notice a preference towards the 60's version. Perhaps it all comes down to people not liking the subjectively ugly badge or coating?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MadGary View Post
    I didn't expect much difference in the shells but did notice a preference towards the 60's version. Perhaps it all comes down to people not liking the subjectively ugly badge or coating?
    Honestly I think it is more of a collector thing, the Keystone badge acros are much less common than the B/O badge. There is a plethora of 70s acrolites out there and they can easily be found for under or around $100, but the 60s acros just don't show up forsale nearly as much, I've seen some fetch well over $200. Both drums are great investments and will increase in value over time.

User Info Menu

I would say you will be happy with either one. Ludwig snares are great sounding drums.

Mine is from 1967 and its the most versatile drum. Ive used it for all types of music from rock to country to jazz.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

From a guy on another forum (the guy is a Ludwig expert believe me ), there's a small difference between 60s, 70s & 80s and the now blackrolite **Black Galaxy finish** but to hear the difference, you have to have all of them in front of you with all the same heads and dial tuned (which he did) but for common mortal the difference remain unnoticeable. There also the fact that keystone Acrolite hardware is probably the best of all Acrolite series, then come the pinpoint badge and so on...

WHATEVER ACROLITE' YOU'LL BE WINNER PERIOD !!!

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK !!!

BTW, the only 10 lugs acro are the 6.5x14 series which is pretty rare or you have to buy a brand new "Blackrolite".
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

ThePloughman Guest

I have three Acrolites. 76, and two newer blackrolites. All three drums are excellent.

You wont go wrong with one of these.

User Info Menu

Good to hear. I've been lurking on ebay for a good deal on a 60's but many of them are a bit beat up or people want 600-700 for them. I've seen some 70's in stores for under 100 so might just take the plunge on a 70's.

dave0549jv Guest

are acrolites all aluminum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    are acrolites all aluminum?
    Yup, an alluminum alloy that they called Ludalloy.

User Info Menu

At my local GC, they are asking almost $300 for a 70's model...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    At my local GC, they are asking almost $300 for a 70's model...
    GC is usually highly overpriced on any vintage gear they get in. I've seen a few vintage snares at my local GC that they are asking double or nearly tripple the market value on. Theres atleast 1 or 2 acros a week for sale on my local CL for around $100. I saw one 2 days ago for $35 with original case and stand, someone got to it before me , the guy probably had 10 emails 5 minutes after his post.

User Info Menu

I would love to have that kind of CL selection. I have a hard time finding any decent drum gear up here. Mostly just old pianos on CL.

User Info Menu

Yeah, we have an old store here in town that does a lot of second hand sales, mostly on line nowdays. Everything they have is overpriced. They price things like a pawn shop, based on some perceived retail price starting point, but the MSR is never a valid starting point for used gear. The thing is, they have this snare I really want (I posted about this months ago). It's an older (90's) Mapex Stainless Steel with original heads. It's like a pre-Black Panther model. They are asking $270. I just got my almost new Black Magic brass snare for $220. I have pointed this out to them and they just let stuff sit on the shelf for months and months. I won't pay their price though...

dave0549jv Guest

I'd like to give this thread a bump, and ask all you Acro-smackers what heads you use on your Luddy. I'm hoping to aquire one shortly, and im just curious to see what all y'all reccomend.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Well, mine's a 70s model and seems to have all the original heads. 8l

User Info Menu

i will say take the 70s and you will be happy

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY