Thread: Going back into drumming, HELP

User Info Menu

Question Going back into drumming, HELP

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right thread but here goes. I am 40yo, I started playing drums when I was 8. I was bought the basic beginner kit as a presant and eventually at age 16 I was able to buy my very first REAL kit. It was a Tama 9pc dbl base and all zildjian cymbals. I sold that same kit back in 1998 and have not really played since. I want to get back into drumming again and I know alot has changed with kits, cymbals, shells etc. There is even more companies out now then there was back in 1986 when I bought my first real kit. I am not sure what company to go with for the shell kit, what cymbals, what should get as far as the shell, ie. maple, birch, oak, etc. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Going back into drumming, HELP

Welcome to DrumChat JohnnyBoomBoom. You'll find that the answers to your questions concerning shells, cymbals and wood type will vary as diverse as musical taste can be. It would be nice if you can share a bit more of your musical genre, goals, and most important, your budget. It's almost like asking "What car should I buy?" I bet you can imagine the response to such an open ended question.

So let me kick this off:
    #1- What's your budget? (Used or New? Budget kits can range from $399+)
    #2- Shell pack or complete kit? -(Sounds like you sold your entire Tama kit?)
    #3- Hobbyist goals or going pro? (Invest wisely)
    #4- Noise abatement issues at home? (E-kits might help with neighbors)

User Info Menu

I too went back to playing drums after a number of years. I play weekends and haul my own equipment. This is a thread I started a couple of weeks a go when I finally got my new Gretsch kit.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...4.html?t=16624
    The guys at this forum are a great help. Try to be specific with your needs and they will "Hook a brother up".

User Info Menu

It is a GREAT time to be shopping for drums. New, used, whatever...THERE ARE SO MANY DEALS! You can get real good quality for next to nothing. Let us know your budget and you will have more suggestions than you will know what to do with!

THEN POST PICS!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat JBB!

I totally agree with late8 that if we are to make meaningful suggestions, we need to clarify a little bit more. xsabers is also right that you are making a purchase at the right time.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I got into drumming seriously last year after 40 years of playing other instruments. I needed a set for a Friday evening gig, and was lucky that the pawnshop had a set of EC fairly recent Ludwig Rockers with a set of ZBTs on hand (small town). They've been bombproof for the past year of almost weekly gigging.

User Info Menu

JBB, welcome to DC and welcome back to drumming. I too have given it up only to get back into it. I have to say that it is much more exciting this time around with the internet and the new technology that's out now. Not only that, I think drum gear is much more affordable now than ever. I say, get yourself a 2nd hand semi-pro set like the Gretsch Catalinas or Sonor 3007s ... can't go wrong with those. Good luck !

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the responces. My budget is about 2000-3000 for everything, kit and cymbals, and hardware. I have always played hard rock/ heavy metal and want to continue playing the same. I live in a very small town out in the middle of the boonies of Colorado and was thinking of buying on line. I use to play tama and zildgians. I have some friends that play guitar and we are talking about getting a band together to play rock/metal at some of the bars and clubs around the area on weekends. That is all we really want to do. The kit I use to play had a dbl base but now thinking a single base with a dbl kick pedal. Thanks again and hope this helps

User Info Menu

Welcome JBB! I too started playing the drums at a young age of 10. I played regularly up until I was 25. I always had "pieced" together kits until I got out of school, started working and bought my first "real (used)" kit at age 19. I bought a 8 piece dbl. bass Rogers (1975-76). However, I didn't sell them, they were packed away up until 2 years ago when I joined a working band. I'm now 43 and playing regularly again...but with a set of used Pearls. Xsabres is absolutely right about buying right now. I picked up my used 6 piece "semi-pro" Pearls (with hardware and Zildjian A's) at a bargain. It was such a good deal that I couldn't even purchase the Zildjian cymbals new for what I paid for the whole kit. With your budget, you'll have a sweet setup. As for the single bass, dbl. pedal setup...coming from someone who use to lug around a dbl. bass kit, you're definately on the right track. You won't miss hauling around the extra kick. There's a lot of cool drum stuff out there.
    Again, welcome. I wish you all the best in getting back into drumming. I know I'm certainly enjoying it more than I ever did. Keep coming back to DC and look around. There is a ton of great stuff here and everyone is very helpful if you have questions!

Sorry if this post got a little long.

dave0549jv Guest

man, with a budget like that you could pick up some pretty nice stuff. you could pick up some pearl Masters, gretsch renowns, mapex saturns, yamaha starclassics, pdp platinums etc... all real high quality pro/semi-pro stuff.

I'd be like a fat kid in a candy store!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board BoomBoom.

As you can see there are a few things to look at when buying drums, genre of music, budget etc and its all what flavor you like.

Any of the main companies offer good sets no matter if its Gretsch, TAMA, Ludwig Pearl or any of the others.

Same as cymbals, Sabian, Paste,Zildjian....

Go to your local music store and listen to the stuff with your own ears to see what sounds the best to you and what is in your price range.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey