Thread: Stick size with ekits?

User Info Menu

Default Stick size with ekits?

Hello everyone. I'm just getting back into playing after many years and picked up a Roland TD4. I always used 5A sticks on my acoustic kit but they felt big playing the Roland and I find myself using 7A sticks now. I'm not sure if I'm nervous of damaging something or what. Are your experiences similar for those who play edrums and acoustic?

dave0549jv Guest

Default Re: Stick size with ekits?

hello, fellow new yorker, and welcome to DC!

I use a 5b stick with my accoustic kit, and in the interests of consistency, i've been using the same size with my e-kit.

It's hard enough adjusting back and forth between the two of them without adding something else to get used to. It seems to be working out alright for me.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat and welcome back to drumming ! I use a medium size stick on both sets but , I only use a nylon tip on the mesh heads and like to use both wood and nylon playing acoustic .
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I mostly used a 5B with nylon tip but lately have been using some pretty lightweight sticks , I think they are called 'fusion' sticks and have small round wood tip. Had to retune the trigger sensitivity thresholds but the fusion sticks seem to be easier for me to get a full dynamic range.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat catskillclimber!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I honestly prefer the bigger, thicker sticks for my DTXPlorer. It's an overall preference though. Everyone's different. I don't own an acoustic set, but i'd probably use the bigger thicker sticks as well.
    Yamaha DTXplorer.
    YAMAHA-VIC FIRTH-AGAZARIAN-SOUND PERCUSSION

User Info Menu

Thank you for the replies and for the welcomes. I guess I am being a little paranoid about breaking something. I'm not use to edrums but I am loving it so far. It's just nice to play again. Well, I think I'll go back to the 5A stick that I'm most comfortable with and not worry about the pads so much, especially others using 5B sticks without issues. Are the nylon tips better for the mesh heads? Is it because they don't splinter and snag the head? Again, thanks for the welcomes. Oh, are any of you playing live with your edrums?

User Info Menu

I am more comfortable with smaller sticks on my e-kit. For my acoustic set I mostly use Vic Firth 55A, but will sometimes also use 5B or 5A (mostly because I have a million of them and don't want to feel like I wasted my money). For the e-kit, I stick with 5A. Not only that, but I use the sticks with the "Vic Grip" for the e-kit and I hate using them with the acoustic. The two instruments have a really different feel for me so I guess they call for different sticks.

As for nylon vs. wood tips on an e-kit; it doesn't really matter. As long as you aren't using sticks that are chewed up by an acoustic set, you'll be fine.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Thinner sticks. Or if you're planning on using your Roland as a practice kit, use thicker sticks like 2B's, they will help with you speed and endurance on the acoustic.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I played with 85A by Vic Firth (I still use these on my akit). I found these to be the best fit, not so much because the are small and light, but the produced the least amount of vibrations on the rubber pads. I tend to hold the sticks very lightly, and the vibration would really start to annoy me after some time. I tried most of the anti-vibe stuff, and these really seemed to do the trick.

As for playing live, as long as you have proper monitoring and a good PA, you can play anywhere you would an akit.

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring