Thread: Do i really need a double pedal?

User Info Menu

Default Do i really need a double pedal?

Hey guys-
    ok so i have been planning on buying a double pedal, but then i was playing my kit the other day when i realized my heel-toe was getting better. I am not sure what i would need a double pedal for now that my heel-toe is improving. So i ask: do you guys think i need it with my heel-toe improving? Anyone not have a double?

Btw the music i play is mostly Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Motley Crue and such.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do i really need a double pedal?

I think its great your heel-toe stuff is getting better- those bands you play don't generally use dbl pedal, i think.. i also have had the debate in my mind-never got one, not needed, but if i had 1 i bet i'd use it! I didnt get 1 due to $$$, but i can do some fancy stuff with 1 pedal...
    My 2 cents!!

User Info Menu

I'm not a big double pedal guy (although I do play with one) but its because so many guys abuse the music with it. That said, I'm a proponent for having one and mastering it. For the right songs, there is nothing like a double pedal and it's a lot easier than heel-toe. Think of it this way; why use a spoon for everything when you can also use a fork!

User Info Menu

Well, I used to own a double pedal, but honestly, none of the music I was playing called for one. These days I stick to a single.

User Info Menu

If you have the money might as well get one even if you don't use it you still have the option to.

like buying a cymbal you don't use often it still there to be used when you want to.
    Tama Rockstar
    Sizes to be entered later

Sabian Cymbals

DW 7k DB Pedal

User Info Menu

if you play really fast stuff then your gonna need one, its always good to have one though
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

It's worth a shot if the price is right. I got a double bass pedal on craigslist for $70 because I thought I would get into heavier stuff. Even though it turned out that I barely use it, it's still nice to have the option. So I'd say go for it since you get both options with it.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

My thoughts where based more around having one to do rudiments on my feet. I believe I will become a better high hat player if I develop my left foot. With the double pedal you have a more equal feel to the stroke, where as practicing with one foot one the hat peadl and one on the bass is uneven feel. So even though I use and love me double pedal I do not play any songs with it except on the spot stuff. I use it for developing my left foot through rudiments and challenging myself to incorporate that into my high hat playing. F/T

User Info Menu

I've been playing for over 25 yrs on a single pedal and never really gave the idea any thought. My hi-hat work is pretty good with a decent amount of independence. However, I recently purchased a used Pearl Eliminator Dbl Pedal because I thought I needed it in one of my band's songs. So, as I start working on it...beginning with basic rudiments, I discovered that there is a whole new area of left foot control that I have just tapped into. The stuff that those guys, even the teens, were doing was harder than they looked. I am now committed to working on it.... It will add a whole new dimension to my repertoire. I don't plan to showcase it as the center point of my playing....but do want the option to pull it out whenever I need it.
    Last edited by nio; 08-11-2010 at 12:13 PM.

dave0549jv Guest

I've only got a single. I figure if I can master the single pedal, and my hihat technique, maybe then I'll try a double. I don't really feel like I'm missing out yet.

User Info Menu

tah821, I agree that it certainly isn't a requirement, especially depending on the type of music you play. On the other hand, I has seen videos when Neil Peart has one, and uses it sparingly in spot situations. I thought it added an interesting effect, so I just kept my eyes open and I just happen to be in a music store when the DW 8002 double pedal was being introduced. I got it for an introductory weekend price of $289. It was incredibly smooth, and I realized that a deal like that doesn't come along very often. So, I have a double pedal even though I don't use it much as I continue to work on my single pedal technique.

My advice is to not be in a rush, but keep your eyes open for the right opportunity. If you're not in a rush, the right opportunity will simply come to you one day, and you'll recognize it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I wasn't trying to make it seem like you couldn't develop a good hat foot without one. That is just the method that is working for me. F/T

User Info Menu

Speaking of double pedals, here's one that I found really interesting. It's called the offset double pedal, and I guess it's great for anyone who wants the feel of a 2 bass kit without the extra luggage. You can get your snare in the center and hats closer in(no more leaning to the side).

ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

If you master a tight "heel toe" then I agree with most here...Dbl pedal not necessary! I use to play double bass...but only on one or two songs did i really use it...I am a single player now..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I have a double pedal and since my music is mostly classic rock, I hardly use it. But on the other hand, since I've purchased the double pedal my left foot has developed a bit more muscle control and the direction of my orginal music may require me to incorporate double pedal work into the music. I still have reservations about my skill level using both double pedal and double bass but I challenge myself often and to master this techinque will keep me busy for quite some time.

User Info Menu

I just love the hi hats too much. I play mostly four to the bar anyway. Nothing too fancy. I think the cost of a double pedal would be lost on me. I could see for a few accents or something.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Digging the pedal russ, that would solve some issues I have with snare to hat placement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I've been playing for over 25 yrs on a single pedal and never really gave the idea any thought. My hi-hat work is pretty good with a decent amount of independence. However, I recently purchased a used Pearl Eliminator Dbl Pedal because I thought I needed it in one of my band's songs. So, as I start working on it...beginning with basic rudiments, I discovered that there is a whole new area of left foot control that I have just tapped into. The stuff that those guys, even the teens, were doing was harder than they looked. I am now committed to working on it.... It will add a whole new dimension to my repertoire. I don't plan to showcase it as the center point of my playing....but do want the option to pull it out whenever I need it.
    i think this answer says it all.

im not a huge dbl fan. i dont dig music where its constant dbl. but i love it mixed into fills and thats how i use it.

i do practice rudiments on it as well. just like the hands. parrididdles, doubles, singles and triplet’s everyday
    Last edited by bloodylipp; 08-16-2010 at 06:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I bought a double pedal almost 2 years ago and can say it was a good investment. I got it mainly to help with getting better coordination. It helped a lot.

I wouldn't say it's neccessary though. Before I got mine I already had awesome right foot skills, but I got it for my left foot(no skills). But if it's right foot skills you're striving for, it's not a must.

-Mini
    "On the road to success there are no shortcuts."

"It's not the years you play, it's the hours." -Mark Zonder

User Info Menu

I would say get a double pedal. Learning to use a double pedal well in all situations (from death metal to latin jazz) can only make you a better & more versatile drummer.
    Last edited by xweasel; 08-12-2010 at 02:52 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I saved and got myself a nice, responsive DW 9000 single pedal. I've played single for five and a half years because...

1. My music style doesn't require it.

2. I want to be able to master (By this I mean be as good as I'm happy with) my hi-hat work and my right foot.

I think too many people who get double bass pedals quickly start to rely on them too much. I've always found the term "slave pedal" quite hilarious because if this. I've learned to play Good Times Bad Times from Zeppelin on a single just like Bonham. If you've heard the song, you'd know how much work it must take. Heck, Bonham was doing quadruplets half the time people thought he was doing triplets. (bass bass xxxx xxxx) And all with a single pedal. I would rather make my single bass pedal my slave, personally. It's going to be doing all the work.

In response to my number one reason, if you play metal, you actually kind of need it. And I say go for it. If you don't, I honestly wouldn't unless you think you can learn to not rely on it. (Like when you're doing a fill that goes "Buhduh CAH!" You could do that with a single or double bass, and if you know how to use a single at all, you could do it with that.) That's just one example, though. You guys know what I mean. If your guitarist wants to kill you, I say hand over the rod. Then...
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I have been playing since I was six and I have never had the need for one, don't see the musical application for bass drum rolls etc, it, but then, Im a beboper. I use a vector single pedal, which lets me sit right and not have to fight. Finally!

User Info Menu

Double Pedal is rarely a necessity unless you're playing the extreme forms of metal. Still, if you ever hear tasteful use of double bass playing it can make you want to get one. I'm still trying to find a place to use it for anything but heavy sections. Trying to stick fast quads in to weird places is what I've been trying recently.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I think too many people who get double bass pedals quickly start to rely on them too much. I've always found the term "slave pedal" quite hilarious because if this. I've learned to play Good Times Bad Times from Zeppelin on a single just like Bonham. If you've heard the song, you'd know how much work it must take. Heck, Bonham was doing quadruplets half the time people thought he was doing triplets. (bass bass xxxx xxxx) And all with a single pedal. I would rather make my single bass pedal my slave, personally. It's going to be doing all the work.:
    I learned to play a single pedal before I moved to the double pedals. I can play Bonham kick stuff with ease. But playing 4, 3, or even 2 16th notes at a speed of, say, 240 BPM, that's where the double pedal kicks in.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Here is swedish drummer Peter Bylin at Frankfurt showing fancy single pedal work.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlaT8AwdgX4&feature=related"]YouTube- Frankfurt Musikmesse 2010 - Vector pedals[/ame]