Thread: yes another recording ?

User Info Menu

Default yes another recording ?

Ok i have been reading several threads. i think i might have a little idea how to build a DAW but still have some questions.

Microphones to a firepod to a PC via a firewire and then software.

That being said would this give me the most flexibility?

Do i get control of the sound before the final mix? I think the firepod is a audio capture card but does the sound then go through the virtual mixing console (software) before the file is created?

What are the limitation of this set up compared to a analog set up?

User Info Menu

Default Re: yes another recording ?

Flexibility-yes, this will probably give you the most flexibility
    Control of the sound- yes, whatever number of channels your firepod has, and the number of mics you have plugged in to it are the number of separate tracks you will have on the pc. you can add your effects to each channel/track, having different effects on each channel/track.
    Audio capture- no i don't think it is an audio capture device, it is an interface, not storage.
    A temp file is created on the hard drive as you record and edit your track. When you save your track after editing, then your file is created,1 file per track, so kick.wav is 1 track, snare.wav another, etc...
    Limitation compared to analog?-you'll have more money in your pocket with a DAW then buying a mixer, rack effects etc. i think we have more with DAW then analog, and im a an old analog dude...
    Dig your handle and profile pic man, when Neil had hair!

User Info Menu

Once again funkyruss is dead on correct. The big difference for mixing outside of the box vs inside of the box is as fr said is mainly cost. That being said, there will be some fidelity loss as the analog signal is chopped up into 1's and 0's in the digital world.The better the converter and word clock the less the fidelity loss but this goes up in cost exponentially. What I have recommended on the forum is cost conscious DAW's and hardware as I have noticed over the years drummers aren't always flushed with cash. Now, do you want a great system for recording drums with price no option then I would run all nemaunn mics into Avalon and Universal audio preamps and then run the preamps to LA2A compressors and manley eq's THEN I would run these to Digi Pro tools HD3 rig from a FM 192 that was modified by black lion. The computer system I would use would be a Mac tower. I figure this combination above would cost roughly 80 to 100 thousand if you could even find some of the equipment (i.e. the LA2A). The front end (analog aspect ) would be spectacular and would be better than what you could do in the software. Now would you hear the difference? Yes, but you would not be impressed in relation to the cost unless the room has been acoustically treated. The software and plug ins are getting better and better, allowing you to have everything I mentioned above as plug ins for about 500 dollars. It is just amazing what the manufacturers are doing with plug ins. If I had my brother mix a session with his plug ins and compare to what I listed above you would have a hard time hearing the difference. This has been the biggest advancement for guys like us who record at home. I can pull up a 10 thousand dollar eq and place it on a track and adjust it in the digital world and get the EXACT sound and that plug in by itself cost about 30 dollars, and I can place that 10 thousand dollar eq on everytrack I am running at the same time just like I had bought ten of those eq's. Anyway, short answer Analog is good and expensive. It gets you cool points and does improve the quality slightly but recording is a chain and the weakest link will pull down everything else. Digital allows you do everything inside the box that you can do in the analog world for MUCH CHEAPER and for what we do is usually the way to go.
    Last edited by nucjd; 08-12-2010 at 09:51 AM.

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies guys. this helps a lot.