Drum Domains

Thread: Snare drum enquiries

User Info Menu

Default Snare drum enquiries

Hey there, forumers.
    I have the Gretsch Catalina maple kit which came with a 14x6 inch maple snare drum.
    However I have two enquiries for you...
    1) What is the best snare drum batter head??
    I recently have decided I want to get a new head but with all these different heads out, I'm having difficult deciding. At the moment I am deciding between the Evans Genera HD Dry and the Remo Emperor X. But are these the best you can get?
    2) My snares give off a LOT of buzzing and ringing and I do not know how to get rid of this? I have tightened them as much as I can, and I have also tightened the resonant head as much as I can. But should I loosen one of them or what??
    Many thanks,
    Jameister

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum enquiries

Quote Originally Posted by Jameister View Post
    Hey there, forumers.
    I have the Gretsch Catalina maple kit which came with a 14x6 inch maple snare drum.
    However I have two enquiries for you...
    1) What is the best snare drum batter head??
    I recently have decided I want to get a new head but with all these different heads out, I'm having difficult deciding. At the moment I am deciding between the Evans Genera HD Dry and the Remo Emperor X. But are these the best you can get?
    2) My snares give off a LOT of buzzing and ringing and I do not know how to get rid of this? I have tightened them as much as I can, and I have also tightened the resonant head as much as I can. But should I loosen one of them or what??
    Many thanks,
    Jameister
    The "BEST" is always going to be a matter of opinion... my primary snare has a Ludwig Weather Master Coated Medium and it sounds great. A lot of people like the sound of a plain old coated Remo Ambassador on their snare... usually a head like the Evans HD Dry is a fairly safe choice, and I use it on several of my snares.. but the Power Center or ST series is probably more like the Emperor X.

Over-tensioning the resonant or "snare side" head will not reduce buzz or ring.. it will increase annoying buzz and choke the drum... and most of the "ring" comes from the batter head and doesn't have to be an entirely bad thing. Uneven tuning will produce wonky over/undertones in your drum... so once you find your drums "sweet spot" you'll probably not be so concerned about ring.

Also uneven or improper snare wire mounting or tension will also produce horrid "buzz" sounds.

It sounds like you don't need a new head as much as you need "snare school" I think you would be wise to learn how to tune a snare... how to mount/ tension/ adjust snare wires... and then worry about a new head. If you really have to buy a new head I suggest starting off with just a basic decent quality head like a Coated Ambassador or Emperor until you get to know your way around a snare.

All of the things I've discussed are covered in articles and video on the web.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

I'm running a HD dry on a maple snare (an inch deeper than yours) and am pretty happy with it. The reso is a hazy 300. This head is not a magic cure all for ringing. If you play toward the outer third it will ring (not unpleasant though). It's very dry when played in the center. Rimshots sound thick and woody. It also seems to be pretty durrable. I haven't had any problems with the coating flaking off.

I have no experience with EmpX's.

As Dave pointed out, the best head is a matter of opinion and you won't get the most out of any head if your snare drum isn't propperly set up.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Dave nailed it. One other option for education is if you have a music store with a good drum section nearby. If you are a hands-on person, you could take the snare in and have then tune it while helping you understand the process better. After all, you'll probably be buying heads from them, and I agree with Dave that an Evans Genera HD Dry is a good head. I use that one on my Catalina Maple snare myself.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+1 on the Evan's Genera HD on the maple snare. That is what I use combined with the Hazy 300 work great together.

User Info Menu

I would pick the emperor x and I also think you could try moongel
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5