Thread: Note to Self ...

User Info Menu

Default Note to Self ...

I thought I would start up a new thread about things you write down so that you don't make the same mistake the next time....

Last night we had a gig at a nearby club. Three songs into the set, my snare drum batter breaks ! ... Aaaarrrghhh ...and I don't have a spare with me. Thank goodness the drummer following us was kind enough to let me use his. So, next time around I will either bring a back up snare drum or at least bring some used heads including toms sizes. Now, I've finally figured out a good use for my used drum heads :-)

How about you? Any thing you care to share with the rest of us so that we don't make the same mistake you did?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Note to Self ...

I always bring 2 or 3 snares.

User Info Menu

And at least one extra bass drum head.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Always keep spare sticks close by. Once was recording a video when my stick snapped in half (never again will i use Zildjian sticks) and had to stop recording becuz i have yet to buy a stick bag, and only had one extra pair whos whereabouts were unbeknownst to me for like 20 minutes. Now im down to my last pair of Zildjians until my Vics come.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Don't hit yourself with a drumstick

i tried it, it's terrible
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Don't hit yourself with a drumstick

i tried it, it's terrible
    Ive poked myself in the eye with them before. And let them slip out of my hand and halfway across the living room.

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    -jordison515

My Band:

User Info Menu

Always bring a spare for everything when possible. Specially drumsticks
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    Ive poked myself in the eye with them before. And let them slip out of my hand and halfway across the living room.
    I've had a stick slip out of my hand, fly across the stage and smack into my guitarist from behind.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Make mental notes of which songs go over well and which ones dont.
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Keep a setlist in sight. I started the wrong song once, and our singer simply says, "I don't think we'll do that song next, actually." By the way, we should sticky this. It's a good idea and it could help out lots of people.
    Last edited by IAmNotATable; 08-16-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Typo
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, don't forget the fan and the small cooler with gatorade and water...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Oh yeah, don't forget the fan and the small cooler with gatorade and water...
    You aint kidding!!
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Seriously, don't forget to hydrate!!
    I did an outdoor gig one summer and forgot to drink anything for the whole second set and into the third. (I had spent the break fixing a little snare stand issue.) Fourth song in, I started feeling pretty faint and had to call for another break. The band was not happy but the crowd was actually understanding as I was playing my keester off for them up until that time.
    I briskly knocked back about a liter of water, which didn't feel real good either, but I was able to resume and kept on sipping my way through the last set.
    I have never sat down for a long gig, or rehearsal for that matter, without a water supply within reach.
    Great idea for a thread!
    Sticky, oh dear Moderators?
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

+1 on the sticky.

-TxDrummer
    -jordison515

My Band:

User Info Menu

Never get mad at a broken drumstick, and if you do never throw it across the room because you never know that it might rebound off a table and stab a big hole right in the ceiling and get stuck there... people might look at it and give you weird faces.

It has happened to people.

Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

Extra springs for bass pedals. One night when I was tearing down after a gig, I unfastened my DW dbl kick pedal from the bass rim and for whatever reason I grabbed the spring. With hardly any force, the spring broke right off. I was thankful (and amazed) that it happened then and not during the show.
    Create a "spare parts" list of little things like wing nuts, screws, etc. and over time put together a survival kit to take along with a couple of useful tools.

I always have an extra snare batter with me and/or sometimes an extra snare. But, I've never had an extra bass batter handy. That probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks Bish.

User Info Menu

Here is another one...make sure you warm up before you start the set. I do simple wrist and finger stretches to loosen them up. This actually helps me prevent the hand cramps during the set. Its probably a good idea to loosen your arms, neck, and back muscles as well...

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention this one. Be sure to always have an extra drum key. You can never have enough drum keys handy!

User Info Menu

All good adsvise......extra heads, drum keys, drum sticks etc.

I have a stick bag on each side of the set with a pair of sticks in them.

One is on my HH stand and the other is on my last cymbal stand on my far right side so which ever hand doesnt have a stick can easily reach a fresh one.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Call every member in the band the day BEFORE the gig because:

#10-Some can't remember simple directions to the gig
    #9- Extension power cords are often forgotten
    #8- Keyboard stand was once left at home
    #7- Six PA speaker cabinets need to be loaded into truck
    #6- Final set list needs to be emailed out
    #5- Some forget to bring water
    #4- One forgot to bring their 2nd instrument
    #3- A few forget to bring their own vocal mics
    #2- Some don't bring cash
    #1 -One member forgot to show up the day of the gig

User Info Menu

I also have what I call my "Ditty Bag"...its about 14 inches long and maybe 7 inches wide...has a wide flap with a zipper on each side of it and it holds the rest of my emergency repair kit. A pair of small wire cutters, a pair of small needle nose pliers, a pair of small channel lock pliers, a set of metric allen wrenches (the smaller ones), a standard blade screwdriver and a phillips screwdriver, my Drum Dial along with my Woolee, extra cymbal felts, an extra bottom hi-hat felt washer and a small bottle of light oil, some small flat washers and a couple of concave washers and a small roll of Duct Tape, a dual heat (15 and 30 watt ) soldering iron and a small roll of resin core solder and a 2 spare 1/4 inch male guitar plugs, 2 - 9 volt batteries, 4 - Double AA batteries, 4 -Triple AAA batteries and finally a small roll of VIVA paper towels.

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    I also have what I call my "Ditty Bag"...its about 14 inches long and maybe 7 inches wide...has a wide flap with a zipper on each side of it and it holds the rest of my emergency repair kit. A pair of small wire cutters, a pair of small needle nose pliers, a pair of small channel lock pliers, a set of metric allen wrenches (the smaller ones), a standard blade screwdriver and a phillips screwdriver, my Drum Dial along with my Woolee, extra cymbal felts, an extra bottom hi-hat felt washer and a small bottle of light oil, some small flat washers and a couple of concave washers and a small roll of Duct Tape, a dual heat (15 and 30 watt ) soldering iron and a small roll of resin core solder and a 2 spare 1/4 inch male guitar plugs, 2 - 9 volt batteries, 4 - Double AA batteries, 4 -Triple AAA batteries and finally a small roll of VIVA paper towels.

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree~
    Warren did you ever make Eagle Scout?

User Info Menu

Wanna know the truth? Yes I did~ Does that surprise you?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

Larrysperf Guest

I have that same bag I carry plastic containers with extra parts in them. Small world

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Wanna know the truth? Yes I did~ Does that surprise you?
    Nope....not at all!