Thread: Timing

User Info Menu

Default Timing

I have a question slightly different to Drum chicks and the timing of fills .

Since we all have our own little personal exercises etc for certain drumming techniques. Could we share some timing exercises which could be very beneficial.

How do you build that clock inside you? my drum teacher had a pretty cool metronome or drum machine possibly where you set the speed and programmed to stop the click for two bars (for example) while you keep playing and then hopefully land on the one when the click comes back in.

any other tips?

Last edited by livewire80; 04-07-2007 at 08:13 PM.

User Info Menu

i dont use a metronome..i just go sit down and play but i need lessons so whose counting lol

User Info Menu

In Response MichiganIce, I believe everyone should be using a metronome during practice. This situation is analogous to going for a drive and only putting ten dollars of gas in your vehicle, it may seem like a great idea at the time [who doesn't want to save a couple bucks???], but, in the long run you're not going to be doing to hot. Because inevitably there will come a time and situation that really challenges you as a drummer, either rhythmically or tempo wise. Then look back at all the time you could have spent truely increasing your skill as a drummer and overall musician.

As for techniques I use for 'building that clock inside' [which, by the way is a great way to put it!], I use just a plain ol' metronome, and perserverence I guess.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

I agree with training with a metronome, however, I also feel that quite a bit of it is natural......if you can't beat a steady time with one hand on, say, a desk, or whatever, you'll have a hard time being a drummer.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

ALTHOUGH.....Lars Ulrich has absolutely HORRIFIC timing and meter, and look where he is.......
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

God yes, how the F*%K did that moron get where he is!!!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Tommy Lee has perfect timing. thats something that really stands out in his playing.

i just dont want to have to rely on the metronome. sometimes i feel lost without it but then again i only been playing three years and it is getting better with perserverance

User Info Menu

Now, i believe timing is also natural but to make it more comfortable for those finding problems with it, it is advisable to either tap the sticks according to the beat b4 playing it full or match the hi hat acc to the beat. if u can coordinate the frequent matching, u can stop a while and when u feel u are goin off, continue again.
    most people need timin to be anle to play off timin beats like jazz beats, is that what u wanna play rj?

User Info Menu

The drummer from Nickel back is an very talented drummer, and my drum teacher told me this guy had just practiced simple slow beats with a metronome for a year or so because, in a band like that your timing has to be perfect or nothing. so i think practicing with a metronome is very essential to keep in time. I found myself absolutely bored out of my tree but as i keep using it for practicing my rudiments and my different beats i'm starting to get the hang of it. At first i thought "oh ya i can keep in time no problem" but i tried to play to a song and turn it down and kept playing the song and when i turned it back on, i was totally off beat. That makes me want to practice and get better at my timing even more.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I realize that a ton of effort is put into timing, but don't forget that Pro Tools takes care of a lot of that on recordings

You don't even have to be good anymore... if you've got Pro Tools and Autotune you can just hit random notes and release a Top 100 single!
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

yer but then you play a live show and ur gone.

i would never want to be in a situation where the drum track i put down in a studio needs two hours of work to fix the timing and miss hits.

the way i see it, if you cant play it in time live, dont play it on a recording at all! i mean whats the point, no satisfaction there