Thread: Paiste alphas: Pro or Semi-Pro?

User Info Menu

Default Paiste alphas: Pro or Semi-Pro?

Hmm, question to all you paiste fans out there

The paiste alpha series, are they a pro series like ive been hearing, or semi pro

Ive heard since paiste re-vamped the alphas in '06 they lost the semi-pro status and gained a pro status

I mean, ive seen at least 4 people on the paiste website that use nothing but paiste alphas and are professional drummers

Im just asking because the alphas would be cheaper for me in the long run, the AA's might be cheaper by 80 bucks now, but to add on a cymbal it would be cheaper to go alpha than AA

Also does anyone know where i can buy the alpha cymbal package that paiste has launched (this year i do believe)

User Info Menu

id say semi..because i heard theyre the equivalent of Zildjian A customs..or almost the equivalent..and i consider A customs semi-pro compared to the K cymbal line

User Info Menu

I love the sound of the Alphas over Semi-Pro. It could just be my taste, but I'd prefer the Alphas. Musicians Friend has all the packages.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

No it dosnt

Thats where i looked, all they sell is the medium crashes, and the 2 splash models

User Info Menu

I guess I'm the Alpha dog here (pun intended) . I use Paiste Alpha cymbals on my kit: 20" ride, 14" crash, 16" crash, 16" thin crash, 18" crash, 14" china, 12" splash, and 14" Sound Edge hats. They are hand hammered and hand lathed just like all other pro cymbals. I think if they raised the price of them, they would be considered pro cymbals to be honest with you. They sound just as good and are of the same high quality as any pro cymbals on the market. They are still considered semi-pro cymbals though. But, there are a few sleeper cymbals in the line that pros are clamoring for, ie. 20" flat ride. If you find one, hang on to it.

Overall, they are great sounding cymbals at an affordable price. I've never cracked, dented, or keyholed one and I beat the heck out of mine. They are a very good investment that I'm glad I made.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i like the paiste rudes...those are sweet..are they as good as alphas?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michiganice91
    id say semi..because i heard theyre the equivalent of Zildjian A customs..or almost the equivalent..and i consider A customs semi-pro compared to the K cymbal line
    Zildjian A Customs are most assuredly a "pro" line. Look on their website and see all the pros who use them.....the Ks are pro, too, but they are engineered and manufactured for a different sound....A Customs are very tonal and bright, whereas the Ks are darker, and a bit more "earthy"....really good for jazz.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

i suppose..but could anyone tell me about the rudes..those look awesome

User Info Menu

The rudes are like the original hard heavy hitter cymbals from what ive heard

Before the Z customs, before the AA metal-X's the rudes were around for the heavy metal sound

User Info Menu

yea..well i dont know too much about em except that there for punk and stuff..but they look really sharp..

User Info Menu

Lol, i find they look quite ugly, but a good kinda ugly... its weird