Thread: Q1, Speed

User Info Menu

Question Q1, Speed

I have two questions (on two different posts)

My first queston is "what exercises and rudements would you suggest to improve ones speed?"

Basicly, how do you get your hands to move [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gujiR_JcdZ0]this fast[/ame]?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Q1, Speed

~answer, doubles, triples, quadruples. 8 stroke rolls, 16 stroke rolls. TO A METRONOME

question back, is that you?

better question. how do you become a better drummer?
    ~ answer, same as above but add parididdles and just about any
    rudiment you can think of.

basically what im trying to say is, there is becoming two different breeds of drummers. i like to see speed, but id rather see talent, musicality and skill more than just plain speed. thats why john bonham will always be better than joey jordison. sorry joey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipp View Post
    ~answer, doubles, triples, quadruples. 8 stroke rolls, 16 stroke rolls. To a metronome

Better question. How do you become a better drummer?
    ~ answer, same as above but add parididdles and just about any
    rudiment you can think of.

Basically what im trying to say is, there is becoming two different breeds of drummers. I like to see speed, but id rather see talent, musicality and skill more than just plain speed. Thats why john bonham will always be better than joey jordison. Sorry joey
    +1
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipp View Post

no

User Info Menu

I wouldn't take the video above as an example of something to aim for. Yes he's fast, but he's too tense to be musical. If he simplified it, played half as many notes, he'd be twice as good, (IMO of course.)

If you want to increase speed, look at the works of Dom Famularo to develop speed and power WITH relaxation. Whatever you do, Always practice in tempo, and always practice relaxed. If you practice tense, you will play tense, and tension is the AntiGroove.

Andy

User Info Menu

Full agreement with my fellow posters so far.
    Add to that, practice your rudiments to a metronome both on a pad or snare and then try to transfer them to the kit. move them around. Add your foot (feet) as you progress. Mix the rudiments together in a patterned string and see what that gets ya.
    Most importantly, stay relaxed and have fun at the level you are at and the improvement will come with time.
    There are a zillion teaching videos both for sale on DVD and free on YouTube. Seek and you shall find.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I wouldn't take the video above as an example of something to aim for. Yes he's fast, but he's too tense to be musical. If he simplified it, played half as many notes, he'd be twice as good, (IMO of course.)

If you want to increase speed, look at the works of Dom Famularo to develop speed and power WITH relaxation. Whatever you do, Always practice in tempo, and always practice relaxed. If you practice tense, you will play tense, and tension is the AntiGroove.

Andy
    ya, thats why i was asking if it was him, he wasnt anything i seek to be. to sloopy for me.

User Info Menu

I'm thinkin' a six-pack of Red Bull.
    Most people don't like most music.

User Info Menu

I was greatly frustrated with getting any action out of rudiments, It took me 9 months to get them going right.

I wuld suggest you work one 2 things(MY opinion only)

1) single strokes R L R L R L R L

Double strokes RR LL RR LL RR LL

Flams RL LR (close together)

2) be pateint you are building muscle memory. Just take it slow, I mean really slow. Don't try to make antyhing of them Just practice them forward and backward(lead with right hand, then swithch and lead with left)

In a short period of time you will be amazed at the improvement of your skills.

Here are a few more ruds I personally like

R L L R L R R L

R R L R L L R L

all the best on the quest. F/T