Thread: Things that make me angry...

User Info Menu

Angry Things that make me angry...

Ok, not really a good subject, but anyway, I'm new so i will learn.

I played in a band with a fella right? In ireland, and he lived in the backarse of nowhere. He told me and the guitarist both, that he had a sound room in his house... dedicated to music, with amps and P.A. and everything, sounded great.

Eventually got there after driving past what seemed like the same evil looking hedge about 12 times, and we go into his house, me bringing in my old premier pro kit. and he leads us into the sitting room, and tells us thats it......

not happy, but we set up anyway, on his parents polished laminate wood floor. The kit moved more than i did, AND THEN!!!! he said after a half hour of practice, that we would have to stop, because we might upset the neighbours.....

now i didn't have spikes at the time, but if you were in that situation, would you have:
    A: Spiked the floor...
    B: Spiked the dude...
    C: Sat down and got on with it...?

needless to say, i don't play with him anymore...
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Angry and i forgot...

and another thing, why do people who can't play the drums, think it is ok to sit behind them when you are not there and play them really hard to "let off steam"??

cos when ANOTHER guy i played with did, and dented all the skins, yes yes ALL the skins, i made my feelings known, and when he came back to find my letting off steam on his guitar strings, with the same drumstick he played, no... no sorry, played isn't the word........ ABUSED my kit with, he didn't like it!

I am having a bad day....
    i have drumming issues.... but damn it, people would really want to start respecting the drums, before i respect their asses, with my foot...
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

I am still recovering, and am not in a band at the moment, until i calm down...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1986
    and another thing, why do people who can't play the drums, think it is ok to sit behind them when you are not there and play them really hard to "let off steam"??

cos when ANOTHER guy i played with did, and dented all the skins, yes yes ALL the skins, i made my feelings known, and when he came back to find my letting off steam on his guitar strings, with the same drumstick he played, no... no sorry, played isn't the word........ ABUSED my kit with, he didn't like it!

I am having a bad day....
    i have drumming issues.... but damn it, people would really want to start respecting the drums, before i respect their asses, with my foot...

My own personal solution to that problem....anyone gets within 15 feet of my kit, they get thrashed.

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    My own personal solution to that problem....anyone gets within 15 feet of my kit, they get thrashed.

That sounds like a real good plan!! Will try that out...
    by the way... do you allow exceptions to that rule?? like if you are jamming with someone, do you thrash them too???

User Info Menu

That sounds like a real good plan!! Will try that out...
    by the way... do you allow exceptions to that rule?? like if you are jamming with someone, do you thrash them too???

Well, my bandmates are the exception, but they know better!!

Reminds me of a story....I was jamming with some guys this one time, about 5 years ago (just a jam session for an afternoon, I was already in a band at the time)....well, about a half hour or so into it, the singer starts walking across the room towards me (and my kit), singing, you know, getting into it...well, he stops right in front of my kit and starts to pick up his foot, like he's gonna stand on my kick drum or something....I completely stopped playing, and yelled at him, "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT PUTTING YOUR FOOT ON MY KICK DRUM, I SWEAR I'LL RIP YOUR @&*%$#@ HEAD OFF AND TAKE A HUGE $#*& DOWN YOUR NECK!!!!" Needless to say, he stopped in his tracks...the other guys heard me yell at him (yes, OVER the guitars and bass), they stopped playing, and the singer guy says, "Jeez man, I was just gonna lean on it, you don't have to get irate.", to which I vehemently replied, "This drum kit means more to me than your life does. DO NOT mess with it!" It was a pretty short jam session.

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Things that make me angry...

Sounds to me like your bandmate would "drive a saint to cuss," to use a good old-fashioned American expression. Don't know if he was trying to impress you--and to me he didn't.

#1) He didn't have any sound equipment ...

#2) He had you set up in a room that sounds to me like it had the acoustics of a bloody warehouse ...

#3) He didn't bother to check with his neighbors ...

You did the right thing by losin' that dude! Anything else and you would have lowered yourself to his level, man...

Now about the other dude who dinged your drumheads ... see above about your thrashing his guitar with the drumstick. If you don't like it bein' done to your stuff, don't do it to his. I have several buddies who have killer drum sets and percussion set-ups and I don't put a finger on them unless they ask if I'd like to play, and even then I play them more gently than I would my own.

Your so-called friend wouldn't let you drive his car without permission...so why would it be any different with your instruments? To paraphrase BTG, you don't mess with the drummer, and you don't mess with anyone else's instruments!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=BigTallG]Well, my bandmates are the exception, but they know better!!

I completely stopped playing, and yelled at him, "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT PUTTING YOUR FOOT ON MY KICK DRUM, I SWEAR I'LL RIP YOUR @&*%$#@ HEAD OFF AND TAKE A HUGE $#*& DOWN YOUR NECK!!!!" Needless to say, he stopped in his tracks...the other guys heard me yell at him (yes, OVER the guitars and bass), they stopped playing, and the singer guy says, "Jeez man, I was just gonna lean on it, you don't have to get irate.", to which I vehemently replied, "This drum kit means more to me than your life does. DO NOT mess with it!" It was a pretty short jam session.

my singer,when i played in a band, actually stood up on the kick drum and lets just say he never did it again.

well my drum kit is too personal to let anyone else just get behind it. if i ask them if they would like a hit and i trust them, thats ok but not just to get on there on ur toilet break or whatever.
    Last edited by livewire80; 04-08-2007 at 06:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Now about the other dude who dinged your drumheads ... see above about your thrashing his guitar with the drumstick. If you don't like it bein' done to your stuff, don't do it to his. I have several buddies who have killer drum sets and percussion set-ups and I don't put a finger on them unless they ask if I'd like to play, and even then I play them more gently than I would my own.
    I get you man, but christ i was so angry, better to think about these things and calm down first i suppose!!!

In Ireland we say "Drive a saint to drink"!!!!
    That just goes to reinforce the imag of the old stereotypical drunken Irish man... ah well, what ya gonna do?? Im off to the pub...

User Info Menu

I usually let people get behind my set, but I watch them the way a Harris Hawk watches a rabbit, and if they play too hard I tell them, and if they do it again I kick them off the set.

There are only two people who I feel comfortable behind my set: Me and my mentor (my step-dad)

That being said, DO NOT SCARE ME WHILE I'M ON MY SET!!! I WILL THROW STICKS!!!
    My brother came in while I was playing and I didn't hear him, I looked up and there he was. I panicked and threw a stick, barely missing him but hitting his hand.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Cool

I get you man, but christ i was so angry, better to think about these things and calm down first i suppose!!!

In Ireland we say "Drive a saint to drink"!!!!
    That just goes to reinforce the imag of the old stereotypical drunken Irish man... ah well, what ya gonna do?? Im off to the pub...
    That's why I said "drive a saint to cuss"...I have a good bit of Irish in my background, man...and I've seen more than a few drunken Irishmen in my past, myself included, and it ain't pretty! Besides, if Guinness or Bushmills had to depend on me for their income, they'd be long out of business! (Sorry about that, 1DB...I know you're a Guinness man, but...)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The dude was obviously a liar, but the funniest thing: A liar that KNEW he would be found out! That's just idiotic! At least make a lie about something no one will ever catch you on! LOL Moron...

User Info Menu

I don't even like it when someone wants to play with my practice pad and mess around with my pedals....... I am very territorial My husband and his friends want to use my "set-up" so they can go out for an open mic night. I told them they are on crack if they think somone else is going to touch my stuff LOL

User Info Menu

This is a great thread. I am new and don't know the rules. I had no idea that it is rude to play on other people's stuff. Thank goodness I never have.

User Info Menu

It's only rude if you ASSUME you can. If someone asks me and I moderately trust them i'me ok with it. If I offer, especially because I know someone is learning or whatever, I stand there and watch em'. But if some random guy I hardly know what's to play, nah uh, no way joze'. And that's even with my crappy kit that's been through the ring a few times over. Can't imagine how i might be if it was the kit I actually want.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I dont like to play other peoples kits, makes me nervous. If and when i do play them i always ask in advance or wait to be invited, then i play WAY more gently then i would my own. As for my set, my band mates like to jam on my drums if im in the house or taking a break, I utterly trust them and know if they busted a head they would replace it. The only encounter ive had when i was pissed someone was playing my drums was last week when 2 of my band members and i are walking to my place to have practice ( our other guitarist had just called and said he was in the garage) So i hear my drums and i think ok cool Joey's jammin on my set( the other guitarist) we open the door and its some other dude sittin behind my set not playing my drums BANGING THEM LIKE A CAVEMAN i know this man, i even like him, yet i was quite mad, i didnt yell, i didnt say almost anything. Just sat behind my set and got through practice. Thank goodness the dude didnt bust any heads. i would have killed him!!!!! ok not killed but hurt severely :D

User Info Menu

This just recently happened to me, i was pretty mad when it happened though. I was just jammin quietly on the church drum set, just trying to keep it simple and smooth. then this guy comes and wants to play the drums so he went on and just started WHALING on the drums! and seeing how fast his foot could go and trying to go as fast as he could.. urgh it was so frustrating and he hits the crash and the only splash cymbal like every 2 seconds. i think thats a new pet peeve of mine