Thread: Need some tuning help

User Info Menu

Default Need some tuning help

Hello! First off I just want to say hi and that I am new to this forum.

So on to my troubles. I just recently bought a pork pie big black brass 14x6.5 snare and I'm having trouble getting it tuned the way I like it. I'm not the best tuner out there but every now and then I can get a pretty good tune. Right now I have a Remo Ambassador clear snare head on the snare side and a Remo Coated Powerstroke X on the batter side. I also cut down the snares from a 20 strand to a 14 strand which has greatly reduced the buzz that I was previously getting, but there is still some that I am trying to get rid of. I'm trying to go for a big deep boomy snare sound but I have yet to figure out how to achieve that. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need some tuning help

if you want a big boomy snare sound u shoudl get a deeper snare, something like a 7-9" deep.

for what you have, another option would be to get small pieces of tape and tape the snare to the bottom head. this is not what i would do but it will help get rid of the buzz for someone who is not a pro tuner.

next would be to get the bottom loose and the top loose. no wrinkles. tunes up the bottom with every rod having the same pitch, easiest to do with your palm in the cent and hit the head about 1/2 away from the rim.

turn the drum over and do the same for the top, tune up untill desired soudn is found.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat tamadrummer1242!

I think BL is on it, as far as I can help.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Maybe try the emperor snare-side head. Or tune it above wrinkles. Or loosen the snare wires. Or all of the above.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Puresound makes a Snare Wire called the "Equalizer"...the one I play is the 14 strand...7 strands on the left side....7 strands on the right side and NONE in the middle. No more snare buzz...of course, proper tuning is a must as well. Many of us here us the Drum Dial head tension gauging tool. It helps in the tuning process to get the head tension even at all the tuning lug positions. Its a tool only...in the end, it all comes down to your Ear and what you want to hear from the drum. Tuning the Reso head lower in pitch than the Batter head will give you a deeper tone...
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I think your reso head is the problem. It may be a batter head. Get a thin reso head made especially for the snare side.
    Last edited by VIbes; 08-17-2010 at 08:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I think your reso head is the problem. It may be a batter head. Get a thin reso head made especially for the snare side.
    I'm pretty sure its not a batter head as it says on it "snare side head".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Puresound makes a Snare Wire called the "Equalizer"...the one I play is the 14 strand...7 strands on the left side....7 strands on the right side and NONE in the middle. No more snare buzz...of course, proper tuning is a must as well. Many of us here us the Drum Dial head tension gauging tool. It helps in the tuning process to get the head tension even at all the tuning lug positions. Its a tool only...in the end, it all comes down to your Ear and what you want to hear from the drum. Tuning the Reso head lower in pitch than the Batter head will give you a deeper tone...
    Alrighty then I'll tune the reso head down and see where it takes me thanks!

User Info Menu

I say tighten reso more than batter by at least 1/4-1/2 turns. If nothing else works. You should check out YouTube and punch in Dean Schroeder snare side tuning. He has a unique way of tuning the bottom reso head around the snares this might help you out.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-31-2010 at 07:55 AM.