Thread: Conga identification!! help me out..

User Info Menu

Default Conga identification!! help me out..

hey guys, i saw this band live and loved the sound the conga player achieved. heres the video of them live, with a nice fat conga solo too hear.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkhX9CgvQlU"]YouTube- SOJA "Sorry" (extended) - live[/ame]

if you look at 4:19, or 4:33, there both zoom ins on the label of the drum. can someone tell me who makes them?
    and also what kind of congas they are (size wise)...

thanks to all...Jed

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga identification!! help me out..

Closest thing I found was Toca Sheila E.. I'm probably wrong though.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I can just barely make out the badge. Based on what I can see - silver background with yellow half circle, splash of red in the middle of the yellow, text in an arch at the top and straight across on the bottom - I'd almost say that it looks like the badging Meinl was using on their higher-end congas in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Not 100% sure, so take it for what it's worth.

User Info Menu

The are natural finished not white.

Seeing the red label they appear to be the older Supercussion (Alberto de Hond) line.

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X572Mp_r46E"]YouTube- Rest of My Life by SOJA[/ame] also check 24 seconds here. they defo say lp.

hmm, hard to say. i wouldnt be able to tell unless they were the exact same to be honest. i dont know too much about these drums :P. but what size are those small ones?
    Last edited by jedkleb; 08-17-2010 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

hard to say. im looking to buy a cheap 4 piece set similar to this one. 2 big 2 small. got any reccommendations? (spelling?)

thanks again for ur help- jed

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X572Mp_r46E"]YouTube- Rest of My Life by SOJA[/ame]

checkout 23 seconds. another very good view of the same drums.

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X572Mp_r46E&feature=channel"]YouTube- Rest of My Life by SOJA[/ame]

you can see here at 23 seconds. ( that there LP)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gww3ADVx1Iw&feature=channel"]YouTube- SOJA featuring Chris Boomer "You and Me"[/ame]

and here at 2:23, (LP again)..different video but same mini congas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedkleb View Post
    hey guys, i saw this band live and loved the sound the conga player achieved. heres the video of them live, with a nice fat conga solo too hear.

YouTube- SOJA "Sorry" (extended) - live

if you look at 4:19, or 4:33, there both zoom ins on the label of the drum. can someone tell me who makes them?
    and also what kind of congas they are (size wise)...

thanks to all...Jed
    Jed, those are Meinl brand and the sizes are 11,12,& 13 " I could not see the badge clearly but they are not TOCA brand, they look like "Luis Conte" signature model. There are also Meinl Mini Congas / Conguitas ( I never cared for the sound personaly of conguitas )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I can just barely make out the badge. Based on what I can see - silver background with yellow half circle, splash of red in the middle of the yellow, text in an arch at the top and straight across on the bottom - I'd almost say that it looks like the badging Meinl was using on their higher-end congas in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Not 100% sure, so take it for what it's worth.

The lighter wood in the video is probably ASH wood w/ a light stain, very much like the Meinl ~ Luis Conte Model. Great drums & more full range tone than any LP drum in my experience. LP is just a name ! The Meinl head sizes run larger & have more pronounced bellies. nThe heads are the same species of Asian buffalo though...and its a crap shoot to get a set of congas w/ matching & appropriate head weights for each particular drum. I wish I had not sold my Meinls....but if a major company wont take my design critiques and design improvements seriously...I dont want to use thier products w/o an endorsement/ or product developer status. Who likes feeling USED ?