Thread: what do you do about a crack in a cymbal

User Info Menu

Default what do you do about a crack in a cymbal

one of myu cymbals has a crack in it, should i throw it way or is there a way to fix it

User Info Menu

don't through it away...if u don't want it send it to me...ill pay shipping...but really u can save it...drill a small hole at the base of the crack that helps it to stop spreading...all my cymbals are cracked but they stilll sound great....one of my cymbals cracked a little on the outside then instead of spreading straight back it went around and eventually made it all the way around and made a 14 inch cymbal out of a 16 inch ....still sounds great...and agian...if u get rid of it send it to me...

User Info Menu

Utopia's right. Don't throw it out - drill a small hole just like Utopia said. A little bigger then the width of the crack. I had a cheap cymbal back in the 80's that cracked. I drilled the small hole and it stopped it. A while later it cracked again on the other side of the hole, so I drilled another and it never cracked again.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

yeah do what they said but utopia said.. if you dont like it still i could always use another cymbal
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

If its a sheet cymbal then drilling the hole probably wont help. If its cast, then yes it does seam to work. Some last longer then others.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I say it's shot. It'll never sound the same. Trash it. Life's too short to play a piece of crap cymbal with a hole drilled it. Buy a new one and move on.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

yeah mine is cracked too but hey it still sounds great.

User Info Menu

cracks do generally change the sound slightly but so what...i've nevr heard a cracked cymbal that sounded bad...change is a good thing...it keeps things interesting

User Info Menu

keep it dude ....cracks ,chips ,keyholing .It doesn`t really matter .as long as you are happy with the way it sounds thats the important thing.....dill some holes as described see how you get in .If you trash it you aren`t gonna loose anything .

dave

User Info Menu

It's 50/50 on whether or not it will still sound good. I've had some cymbals that still sound great after cracking and others that sound horrible. Usually if you can catch it before the crack grows too long, it will always still maintain its original tonality and resonance.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

to u they sounded horrible...but remember opinions are all relative...someone else may have liked the new sound of your cracked cymbal that u hated

User Info Menu

ive got one cymbal

User Info Menu

I spoke pretty in depth about this subject in another topic on this site, I recommend reading it, if you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to help you.