Thread: Bongos vs conguitas

User Info Menu

Default Bongos vs conguitas

BONGOS VS CONGUITAS ( Mini congas)

pretty straight forward question. pros and cons.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bongos vs conguitas

I don't play them but I would think that anything miniature wouldn't have the same volume or resonance. And your hands would probably be very big on the conguitas. Might be a little awkward.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bongos vs conguitas

By "conguitas," jed, I am assuming you're looking at the small congas (like the LP Ricardo mini-congas) that you can take anywhere to jam (like a drum circle) as opposed to the tiny ones that are probably more suited for desk-top decorations than serious percussion.

The conguitas make me think of what are called "deep bongos," with heads the size of regular bongo skins but shells that are twice as deep of a regular pair of bongos.

As drummer suggested, the tone and resonance would be way different than standard bongos or congas. If you're using them as additions to your bongos and congas (like extra toms on a regular kit), they might be worth a shot. Or if you're lookin' for an unusual effect, they may be your best choice. Give 'em a try and let us know!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck