Thread: Newbie to the Vibes

User Info Menu

Default Newbie to the Vibes

I picked up a vibraphone yesterday off craigslist for a great deal . I played a little in highschool, but that was 12 years ago, so I'm basically starting new. Can anyone suggest some good books or learning resources for a beginner?

As I had posted in another thread a while back, my teacher and I have started up a drum group, we've been doing traditional African stuff mostly, but are starting to write our own orignals and are wanting to get away from the standards that every other group in town are playing. We've been looking to add some melodic parts, and I think the vibes are going to fill the void. My teacher has a marimba also, so we are looking for some fun duets. If anyone knows a good source for some sheet music please let me know. We'd like to find some pop tunes that the audience will know, I'm thinking "Eleanor Rigby" would be just killer as a vibes/marimba duet.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie to the Vibes

There is a vibes forum where you will find lots of good info, and useful links. Cant give you a link, but just Google the vibes. net forum.
    I am messing around on an old Senegal balafon, and have been thinking of getting a mallet synth. Can never get enough of interesting percussion instruments, can you!
    cat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    There is a vibes forum where you will find lots of good info, and useful links. Cant give you a link, but just Google the vibes. net forum.
    I am messing around on an old Senegal balafon, and have been thinking of getting a mallet synth. Can never get enough of interesting percussion instruments, can you!
    cat
    Thanks Cat, found the forum, very helpful!

User Info Menu

All I can say..is apart from Mallet Percussion books...that you do some ear trainning on " Cal Tjader's Latin Jazz combo recordings....hear the rhythms & style that revolutionised VIBES . Classic tunes...like " A Night In Tunnisia ", " Afro Blue," are great examples....check You Tube ! Vibes are a wonderfull instrument...a virtual Percusion version of the Piano Forte * AND...it's an American Invention !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto Pediangco View Post
    All I can say..is apart from Mallet Percussion books...that you do some ear trainning on " Cal Tjader's Latin Jazz combo recordings....hear the rhythms & style that revolutionised VIBES . Classic tunes...like " A Night In Tunnisia ", " Afro Blue," are great examples....check You Tube ! Vibes are a wonderfull instrument...a virtual Percusion version of the Piano Forte * AND...it's an American Invention !
    I found a cool book with some jazz standards in it at a used book store for $3, has both of those tunes in it! Its not specifically arranged for vibes, but I can probably figure it out using the book and you tube. I'll check out Cal Tjader for sure, thanks!

User Info Menu

Gretchhead, wasn't there the king of vibes named Tito Fuente?? seems to me this guy was a legend, maybe others can correct or confirm for me..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Marty.
    I think you mean Tito Puente. Best known as a great timbalero, but also terrific on marimba. He really has the latin beat. Doesnt hurt to listen to Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson and Terry Gibbs either. The three great jazz vibes players.
    cat