Thread: Household keys?

User Info Menu

Default Household keys?

Just a question Here... Are there any household items you could use as a key(besides a ratchet/socket wrench)
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Household keys?

Not that I've ever seen/heard/read. Interesting question though.
    Let us know if you find something.

User Info Menu

I remember my old Black & Decker power screwdriver without a bit in it was a great powered drum key.

I've had people see the drum key on my ring and ask why I carry a 'skate key' around. . .
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

A couple weeks before I got a drum key, I had the great idea to tune my floor tom...With pliers...A few weeks earlier, my snare drum got pwnd with pliers also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    A couple weeks before I got a drum key, I had the great idea to tune my floor tom...With pliers...A few weeks earlier, my snare drum got pwnd with pliers also.
    lol! I'm siggin that.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

A small Crescent wrench can work and also, needle nosed pliers work good but you have to be careful to not round off the corners of the lugs when using pliers of any type. Also, be careful to not scratch the chrome on the rim. Dont want Rust appearing on the rims.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

ThePloughman Guest

Just go buy a key. Because in the long run, once you settle on ....... well, I dont REALLY need a key because X will work, your drums are going to suffer. A drum key or the proper sized square head socket is the ONLY tool that should touch your rods.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Just go buy a key. Because in the long run, once you settle on ....... well, I dont REALLY need a key because X will work, your drums are going to suffer. A drum key or the proper sized square head socket is the ONLY tool that should touch your rods.
    Right on! A drum key should not be substituted; unless, you want to trash your lugs. Buy a few. Keep one in your stick bag. I have one clipped to my floor tom. I used a coiled key clip. I have one on my key chain, and a few in my drum room.

User Info Menu

Drum Key...always..but! necessity is the mother of invention! who knows what the future will bring..I've often wondered myself..but then realized you only need quick when removing heads..tuning is all about..FEEL
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Household keys?

That is why they call them drum keys. Would you take a tire off with a pair of plyers, I don't think so. Right tool for the right job.

User Info Menu

Hey, I know!

Weld

a lug bolt

to the top of each tension rod

...and use a 4-way lug wrench!!!

Me, I'll stick with using a drum key.
    2003 Mapex Limited Edition Artist Select
    8,10,12,14 and 16 toms in natural finish
    22x18 kick - 13" Black Panther snare
    Mostly Sabian and Meinl cymbals, with 22" Zildjian Amir ride

User Info Menu

I like that Crossfire, at least you know almost everybody has one of those in his car in case you need one.