Thread: Uninterested band members?

User Info Menu

Default Uninterested band members?

You know what grinds my gears is when I'm really looking forward to the next band practice cuz I've been learning some chops and fills I could incorporate to our songs, I've got lots of groove ideas for possible compositions etc and nobody seems interested in practicing.

We're aiming to play at the Psychology Festival/Jam next term and we've managed to have one session with the new vocalist and suddenly everyone's not interested anymore. We usually practice every friday but this week nobody even bothered to reply to my texts/confirmation
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Default Re: Uninterested band members?

Find new bandmates
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    You know what grinds my gears is when I'm really looking forward to the next band practice cuz I've been learning some chops and fills I could incorporate to our songs, I've got lots of groove ideas for possible compositions etc and nobody seems interested in practicing.

We're aiming to play at the Psychology Festival/Jam next term and we've managed to have one session with the new vocalist and suddenly everyone's not interested anymore. We usually practice every friday but this week nobody even bothered to reply to my texts/confirmation
    I'm assuming that this "Jam" is a freebee? If yes, and if you want member interested, find paying gigs. There nothing more motivating than making MONEY. It also puts a ton of "positive" pressure on the entire band to hone in their skills to prove to themselves and the audience that they are worthy of just compensation.

User Info Menu

Makes sense late8. But I'm in a band that writes its own songs so no money there yet. Might have to go scouting for new bands as scottd suggested.
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

But I'm in a band that writes its own songs so no money there yet.
    There's your motivation. Find others who will make that commitment.

User Info Menu

Makes sense late8. But I'm in a band that writes its own songs so no money there yet. Might have to go scouting for new bands as scottd suggested.
    Take it for what it is, Andreeew. Some folks are just content to play just once in a while, and others like it more often. Obviously, you're the more often type, so I would move on if I were you. Find other musicians who have a similar ideas that you do. In addition, you can even choose to remain with this band...heck, they would never know the difference. If there's ever a conflict, choose the new band...the other band will quickly get over it or just forget about it. Perhaps you should join a cover band (for your 2nd band)...its much easier to find paying gigs.

User Info Menu

I might just do that Nio. Thanks for your input
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Take it for what it is, Andreeew. Some folks are just content to play just once in a while, and others like it more often. Obviously, you're the more often type, so I would move on if I were you. Find other musicians who have a similar ideas that you do. In addition, you can even choose to remain with this band...heck, they would never know the difference. If there's ever a conflict, choose the new band...the other band will quickly get over it or just forget about it. Perhaps you should join a cover band (for your 2nd band)...its much easier to find paying gigs.
    I'm with NIO on this Andreeew. I just met a guy today who was also a drummer. I started talking to him about drumming, kits, etc. and when I asked him if he played out in a band, he immediately replied that he use to years ago, but he prefers to just get together with a couple of his buds and jam out in his garage a couple times a month. He was very content with that setup as I'm sure there are many people here on DC that prefer to play alone or with a select few people as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, I love the thrill of playing out live in front of an audience. I myself like to get together with friends and jam, but I would be wanting more than this scenario. So, as NIO suggests, I'd find other musicians to play with that have similar interests, expectations and drive. If your old band mates still like to get together with you for practice, go for it. It'll keep your skills honed until you find something else that's more to your liking.

User Info Menu

Andrew from my own experience with bandmates who lose interest...move on! find ppl WITH motivation not ppl who NEED motivation. You obviously have the drive. Musicians are a strange, flaky breed lol. Personally i dont care if its a paid gig or a free one, im all in and excited!! Is hard to find ppl who are truly and honestly dedicated but there out there. Trust me ive been through it and been through it. I tend to get with band who write originals (as the one im in now) and theres money to be had in originals, but it takes everyone to be motivated and willing to get out there and now be lazy as alot of ppl are!! come on ppl lets play some music!
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"