Thread: LP Aspires! (good or bad)?! HELP!

User Info Menu

Default LP Aspires! (good or bad)?! HELP!

Hey guys,

Im currently a drummer, but moving to a small apartment so i have to give up my set..*tear*..BUT, with the outing of old, comes new. Looking to buy a set of congas! Been doing some research and came to the conclusion that the aspire's seem to be the best spend for under 300. Comes 10" and 11" with a set for 289.99. Watcha guys think? Anyone who might have a set, do you like them? I know, i know, there the most common congas out right now, but there must be some reason behind that! So, pros, cons? Maybe some alternative congas?.....Thanks so much,
    Jed

User Info Menu

Default Re: LP Aspires! (good or bad)?! HELP!

I have a set and they are pretty good. You can also buy used and get something a bit more professional. The Aspires suit my needs though.

User Info Menu

hmm sounds good, any reccomendations?
    Thanks, jed

User Info Menu

They're good for what they are- a beginner set. You might want to spend some time and go through the different threads on this site to see what makes quality conga drums.

If you learning or just want something to bang on, and are on a budget then they are appropriate for you. If you want 'that sound' you hear in recordings or are going to gig, then those arent going to do.

I have some Aspire bongos that I gave to the kids. They were great to learn on, but don't have that crisp sound I now need.

User Info Menu

I just found a set of aspires for 299, with a "free" set of bongos. How does that sound? Got any better alternatives?

User Info Menu

In my opinion there are better alternatives. With a bit of luck and a little patience you could get a 2 piece set used of top quality. You could also start with one drum. Some of the best congas ever made go for 250 to 300. I got two of them for that lately. A sixties oak Gon Bops and a LP palisades Patato. Both of them are fantastic. You take your chances when you buy old drums, so the best is to try first.
    Good luck whatever you do.
    cat

User Info Menu

Actually, no I don't think there is any better deal than that. The economy is down and businesses want to sell their stuff. If you are happy with entry-level stuff then that'll work! There is nothing wrong with the economical stuff, don't get me wrong. If you have the passion for this type of drumming- then go for it!

It does pay to do some research first like cat had mentioned. But if you need it now, then get it!

Be forewarned that after you learn a few rhythms and look for references on the pros, or want to play publically, the most likely you will want to 'move up' in quality because of the sound differences. This mistake is what happens to people like me who get something on sale, then want to take it seriously.

But like I said if you want it- then get it!

User Info Menu

If you try some at a shop and like them, then go for it.. But I really think it would be worth the extra $$ to save for some matadors, they are a good drum you can be happy with for a long time. The ones I played on had a very warm and almost rounded sound to them, what i'd look for in a conga definitely.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yeah, i think ill wait for a set of Matador's to pop up. Waiting on craigslist and ebay!! They just seem more worth the money, and i do hope to soon record with a buddy of mine, so obviously they seem better than the aspires. Now lets just pray a cheap pair comes up soon!
    thanks to all,
    jed

User Info Menu

Cool Re: LP Aspires! (good or bad)?! HELP!

The name "Aspire" pretty well sums up the purpose of the Aspire line of hand drums, jedkleb. They're designed for people who are starting out or don't have the money for a better set. They are not bad drums for what they are (I have played them and several of our DrumChat brothers play them), but it sounds to me like you're already ready for some better-sounding drums.

Good luck on your search!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

well, it ends up that all in one day ive gone from aspire to matador back to aspire! and ive finally come to the conclusion to stick with aspires. To be honest, I want to develop my skills, so that i can bypass the matador's and get top of the line congas one day. Until then, a set of aspire congas, and matching bongos at a very cheap price will have to do! and im sure they will suit me just fine.
    Thanks for all the help fellas,
    Jed

User Info Menu

jedkleb, Take the advise of many,take your time. The aspires are not going to do the job. Matadors are superior with the right skins. If you select an inferior set of congas the time to develope a good technic will take forever been that a cheap selection will not project a true sound thus frustating your goal.

Invest wise so you don't have to invest twice.

User Info Menu

I'd go for the better drums;you won't regret it and won't miss the extra cost...down the line.

User Info Menu

What happens if you decide to sell them later down the line for the Matador's anyway? You would not be getting much back for your money, and the congas in aspire line are still a lot to spend. If you do decide to get them, some new heads would help a lot I would think.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedkleb View Post
    Yeah, i think ill wait for a set of Matador's to pop up. Waiting on craigslist and ebay!! They just seem more worth the money, and i do hope to soon record with a buddy of mine, so obviously they seem better than the aspires. Now lets just pray a cheap pair comes up soon!
    thanks to all,
    jed
    Where are you located??

User Info Menu

I am currently located just outside of nyc. (westchester). And thanks to all, but my dad is not willing to spend more money on the matador's until he sees im willing to take it seriously. Sucks for me but ill just have to deal for now.
    Thanks to all,
    Jed

User Info Menu

Hey,You will have a long life ahead of you;plenty of time to get fancier gear.Enjoy what comes your way.

User Info Menu

Hey Jed, what about starting with only 1 Conga ? An 11 3/4" any top brand not beginner set. That way you get a decent instrument for the price of 2 aspires, then later you can add a second Tumbadora of 12 1/2" when your Dad sees your honest desire to become a serious percussionist. . Play that trick and work for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedkleb View Post
    Hey guys,

Im currently a drummer, but moving to a small apartment so i have to give up my set..*tear*..BUT, with the outing of old, comes new. Looking to buy a set of congas! Been doing some research and came to the conclusion that the aspire's seem to be the best spend for under 300. Comes 10" and 11" with a set for 289.99. Watcha guys think? Anyone who might have a set, do you like them? I know, i know, there the most common congas out right now, but there must be some reason behind that! So, pros, cons? Maybe some alternative congas?.....Thanks so much,
    Jed
    Aspires are entry level...good for schools etc...but the crowns are famous for warping and making JUNK out of a mediocre drum. U have a Quinto & small conga...and the tones will be small as well. 11" & 12 " approx sizes are more able to produce authentic tones & be actualy funtional for the years you may use them ! LP is just a name...Meinl & Sonar make equivilant drums at simular prices. I suggest you ask a giging professional for advise...not a store clerk !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoballo View Post
    Hey Jed, what about starting with only 1 Conga ? An 11 3/4" any top brand not beginner set. That way you get a decent instrument for the price of 2 aspires, then later you can add a second Tumbadora of 12 1/2" when your Dad sees your honest desire to become a serious percussionist. . Play that trick and work for.
    This is good advise ! learn technique of the one drum...then progress to the 2 drum rhythms as is affordable...Perhaps supplement your drumming needs w/ an authentic Peruvian Cajon ? You can play drum set and ethnic rhythms to acompany small groups in ways Congas cant produce the tones for !? GOOD LUCK JED ! keep playing & learning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What happens if you decide to sell them later down the line for the Matador's anyway? You would not be getting much back for your money, and the congas in aspire line are still a lot to spend. If you do decide to get them, some new heads would help a lot I would think.
    New conga heads run around & $50 each ( pre mounted ) if not more and they are special order otems, not usualy in stock. If the heads are not GREAT sounding to begin with...dont buy the lame item anyway ! Get an experienced percussionist to help you select a good investment. Store clerks...even store owners are clueless in specialized percussion & will sell whatever they can at your expense.

User Info Menu

jedkleb, I gotta agree with what everyone else is saying, the Aspires aren't going to take you very far. The LP matador is an amazingly good bang for your buck conga, I know lots of pros that gig nightly with matadors. A used set can easily be found in the $250-$300 range and will be much more worth it than a new set of Aspires for the same price. You happen to live near one of the largest communities of conga players in the world, NYC. There should be tons of used drums popping up all the time in the area. Take your time and make a solid investment. When you are ready to upgrade to those "high end" drums, the matadors will be worth every penny you spent on them and maybe more, the Aspires will be worth less than half what you pay for them.