Thread: Rudiments Revisited

User Info Menu

Default Rudiments Revisited

This is no doubt gonna sound strange.
    But its been bugging me and some one brought it up recently.

What exactly does a paradiddle let you achieve?
    the way this person phrased it to me is so....
    He said " A paradiddle is supposed to be done in such a way that it sounds like LLLL or RRRR. ie. by playing it in the usual LRLL RLRR it should sound like (if you are playing evenly) your going LLLL or RRRR ."
    what his sentence amounts to is that an L stroke sounds exactly the same as a R stroke. So whats the difference between what is essentially tah-tah-tah-tah and tah-tah-tah-tah. the only thing i can think of is feel and economy. I mean a flam is understandable as its a almost an effect that you can use.....ps. i may be talking jibberish...

so could someone please explain what a paradiddle lets you achieve?

User Info Menu

I was told by my teacher that a parradiddle is an exercise that helps incorporate singles and doubles together. Also, if you do paradiddles with different accents you can achieve different "licks" per say. I do 4 paradiddle exercises:

RLRR LRLL
    RLLR LRRL
    RRLR LLRL
    RLRL LRLR RLRL LRLR etc.

I do this with accenting the first beat or note and it’s a fun and exciting way, for me, to practice paradiddles.

User Info Menu

As well as what Drum Chick said, Paradiddles also build muscle memory which develope your technique. Not only that but, later you can incorporate them into drum set rhythms and sound really 'cool', I guess?
    That last 'cool' part was a joke, but paradiddles do sound pretty awesome between hi-hat and snare/bass drum and snare, that sort of thing.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood

What exactly does a paradiddle let you achieve?
    the way this person phrased it to me is so....
    He said " A paradiddle is supposed to be done in such a way that it sounds like LLLL or RRRR. ie. by playing it in the usual LRLL RLRR it should sound like (if you are playing evenly) your going LLLL or RRRR ."
    This idea sometimes gets overstated and it is only one way of utilizing the paradiddle. Technically, the paradiddle is performed with an accent on each group:

This said, many tearchers still emphasize the value of being able to play it without accents and making it sound as one smooth stream of notes. It's a lesson in stick control and is valuable to your overall learning.

User Info Menu

you know tom my teacher taught to me on my second classand i found it easy

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzrS7...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDyIAvzBIEE

This is why you should practice paradiddles.

No, really.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

i love playing paradiddles around the kit. cowbell, cymbals, bass, snare, ride bell etc. great for coordination and control.

they also expand your thought process and imagination

User Info Menu

well exactly what the link hellsbells58 posted. perfect example!

i saw this video a while ago and couldnt find it again so thanks hellsbells, ill put it in my favourites now!!

User Info Menu

Glad to be of assistance.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Hellsbells58, that was a great help for us beguinners in terms of learning and having fun. Thanks. I'll try to do it all tomorrow morning LOL

User Info Menu

I've found that if you really get a pradiddle down and work it around the whole set it can sound pretty cool. Otherwise, it's only a mind excersize to work your coordination.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alaman
    Hellsbells58, that was a great help for us beguinners in terms of learning and having fun. Thanks. I'll try to do it all tomorrow morning LOL
    No problems mate! Don't get in over you head though, it could discourage you.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Smile YouTube

Watched the two "instruction" videos listed above and they are very educational. I'm concentrating on rudiments right now. I'd like to see more of these, and I noted there are more to find at that place, but since I'm "YouTube illiterate," can somebody educate me on how you manipulate YouTube? I noticed too that you can become a member, but haven't done that yet. I appreciate this. I'd like to find all the stuff on drums, but don't know just how to find them.
    Keepin' the beat,
    Don
    Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FORLEXIE
    Watched the two "instruction" videos listed above and they are very educational. I'm concentrating on rudiments right now. I'd like to see more of these, and I noted there are more to find at that place, but since I'm "YouTube illiterate," can somebody educate me on how you manipulate YouTube? I noticed too that you can become a member, but haven't done that yet. I appreciate this. I'd like to find all the stuff on drums, but don't know just how to find them.
    Keepin' the beat,
    Don
    Well Don, there is a small box in the upper right hand corner of the page entitled "Search". If you are looking for solos or tutorials, simply enter into the box "drum solos" or "drum tutorials". If there are any specific artists you which to view then repeat the process only using the artists name followed by tutorial or solo.
    Congratualtions, you have graduated Youtube basics

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

If you're looking for some online lessons, search for "online drummer". They have a bunch of tutorials for beginner drummers, dealing with all things from reading music to how to play quintuplets.

Hope that helps,
    HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58

i have just seen the light.....!! Thank you !!