Thread: A matter of tuning...

User Info Menu

Question A matter of tuning...

I do not have a question so much about how to tune as it is about tuning itself. When I tune to a specific key, what should be my bass note? and then how do I proceed up the scale afterward? which drums should be tuned above and below, do they all tune to the same note, or are toms in thirds and fifths etc?

User Info Menu

Default Re: A matter of tuning...

If you are going to tune your drums to a specific note, and if you want to go to the extra degree of trouble, you will have to remove all the drum's hardware, hold the shell up inside on two fingers, and strike the shell with your other hand, or a rubber mallet. Try to do this next to a piano, and figure out what note the shell resonates to naturally, then tune the drum to that note. On DW's, they do that at the factory for you, and stamp the note inside the shell. There are drummers who believe in this method, and I've tried it, but I had better luck finding a good resonant sound using a DrumDial. On a kick and floor tom, where there there is not as much of a resonant note, this exercise doesn't seem beneficial as it does on toms.

Otherwise, if you tune your toms about a 3rd apart, it seems to work. An easy test of this is if you can play "Call to the post," (the horse race trumpet call) on your toms. If you are on a 4 piece, it is just the 1st to notes of "Here comes the bride."`
    Last edited by =^-..-^=; 08-21-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Lowest note is the same as the root note:
    E.g. if the key is C Major, your root note is C.

Then you have a decision to make. What interval are you tuning to. I always tune to the dominant triad. Most of the time that is
    (From lowest to highest pitch)
    Root
    4 half-steps up
    3 half-steps up

that's the triad. If you have 4 toms, you can tune the highest to an octave up of your root.

My trick has always been to dampen out the batter head and get your resonant head to the correct even pitch and then dampen the resonant head and do the same for the batter. Hit the drum a few times, make sure the batter and resonant are where you want it, generally the same pitch for me.

The last time I posted this I got a lot of flack for giving the suggestion. Tuning is different for every individual drummer. To my ear this is just the best way to tune my toms.

As far as kick drum goes, I tune to the lowest possible pitch.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

To tell you the truth I know nothing about tuning the 5th apart or 3rd apart that is all confusing to me. I just find the lowest pitch on my toms and they automatically follow each other in sound. I have 12,13 and 16 and they sound great just the way I have them tuned. Some people make it sound so difficult to tune that is ok if you took drum lessons etc. The average drummer does not understand any of that technical stuff. We just go by ear and what sounds good to us. I can play here comes the bride, three blind mice,call the post or any other song that is suppose to be the way to tunejust by tuning by ear.

User Info Menu

i dont tune to a note, i tune to where i want and go from there, my set sounds great...

User Info Menu

Thanks A ton guys, I really appreciate the help.