Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you haul your stuff to a gig?

User Info Menu

Default How do you haul your stuff to a gig?

I've just started "gigging" quite a lot recently and I've been making tons of trips back and forth from my truck to where my drums will be set up at the gig. So my question to you is how do you haul your gear back and forth? Do you have cases? Or your own way of bringing your drums and hardware back and forth in less trips. Im just trying to get ideas from people to see what works best to make the least amount of trips. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you haul your stuff to a gig?

It takes me 4-5 trips/loads to get everything moved from car to gig with bags that hold one or two cymbals each:
    1. BD by itself 2. three toms(thank God for bags with handles/straps) 3. snare & rug 4. stands(in gig bag), throne
    It's never quick and easy and other band members helping out cuts the # of trips in half, usually.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Here Ya go ! These are cheap and if packed right will hold a set and hardware in one load ! Under $150 for a big one !

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Gotta have the following :
    1. Hardware case(s) with wheels that will hold all your stands, throne, etc..I have a big one and a small one that holds everything.
    2. Cymbal case that will hold all your cymbals
    This will save you the back and forth trips between the you car and the stage.
    You can get really good deals on used cases...
    Last edited by nio; 08-22-2010 at 04:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Good question! I have a pretty decent method. My first trip is the Bass drum and cymbal bag. The next trip is my pedal and accessory bag; hardware bag, snare and floor tom. Next are the rack toms(2); hi hat and snare stand (I never compact them, I find it easier to set up when I do not have to unpack them. My last trip is the carpet, throne, and my songbook and coffee. Being that I set up every Sunday morning for church, the coffee needs no explanation! On a side note, everything and the wife fit into a 4 door Hyundai Accent.

Larrysperf Guest

I use bags for drums, hardware, and cymbals bag, folding dollie and tool box with spare parts. Plus I have this custom bag that holds spare heads

User Info Menu

2slow,
    It's the stairs that kill you, even with a... cart. Tilt!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Thank God we dont have more than 6 step stairs to deal with when we do our two road gigs.
    I have the Humes & Berg Tuxedo drum bags for my kit...the cymbals go into another Tuxedo bag...the stands also go into a Tuxedo bag for cases...of course, my road gig has only two cymbal stands plus one hat stand...my closed hat stand is stand mounted on my crash and splash stand.
    Our band has a commercially made single axle closed steel band trailer - carpeted floor and walls- for all the gear and everything is transported to and from it using one of those Dolly's pictured above that converts into a 4 wheeled cart. Thats the best thing for transporting equipment that we've found. It folds up into a regular Dolly which doesnt take up much space.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Cases, it only takes me 4 trips from truck to stage. I haul all my gear and my bass players in the back of my Cherokee.

User Info Menu

I usually bring only my pedal, and sometimes my cymbals so its a one trip for me.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I have a laundry basket for the hardware, a round, hollow footrest that nobody uses anymore for my toms, a shipping bag (the bag my ride was shipped in) for my cymbals, separated my pillow cases. Everything else just sits there.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

i use 3 flight cases , 1 with my hardware ,1 for my kick and cymbals ,and 1 for my toms and snare . all have wheels. i can bring my whole kit in ,,, in 2 trips
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Nowhere near ready for gigging... but I do have the bags/cases for it, if that day ever comes
    I have a cymbal bag with wheels, a hardware case with wheels, and regular bags for the rest.
    When I brought the kit home, it took 3 trips from the Trailblazer, as I recall.

Trip 1: Hardware case, with Snare/Throne seat in one drum bag, stacked on top.
    Trip 2: Kick, 14"/16" toms (Really trusting my handles, with this trip. Probably should've split that one)
    Trip 3: Cymbals, 8"/10"/12" toms

User Info Menu

Trip#1-Rolling trap case (throne included) with bass drum
    Trip#2-Bass drum pedals with snare
    Trip#3-cymbals and stands
    Trip#4-tom cases
    Last edited by late8; 08-25-2010 at 11:37 PM.

User Info Menu

make the rest of the band help

User Info Menu

Man the cases look dirty here

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Cases, it only takes me 4 trips from truck to stage. I haul all my gear and my bass players in the back of my Cherokee.
    Does your Cherokee ride a horse lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    How many bass players do you have? And can't they haul themselves to the gig?
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Why take two cars when you only need one?

User Info Menu

i have cymbals in a bag, hardware in a bag, snare in a hardcase and toms and bass loose takes me 4 trips.
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

the best suggestion I have for hauling stuff is to get a hardware bag that has a large pair of wheels on it. I have one made by Warwick called the "Gig Bag". Fits all my hardware(which is a decent amount),fits in my trunk and is easily rolled around to and fro.

User Info Menu

Everything is cased in my situation.

It takes several trips and not much can be done about that, depending on how much gear you intend to bring.

In my next band I've been thinking of becoming the flutest. Less gear for sure.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=bassist learning drums;314021]

My first trip is the Bass drum and cymbal bag. QUOTE]

Take your cymbal bag and lay it on the head of your BD and stretch a bungie cord across the bag from lug to lug and free up an extra hand on the first trip.

The bungie doesnt need to be stretched real tight, just enough to keep the bag from moving around.

Im like most everyone else making several trips, but one drummer Ive seen getting ready to move his stuff inside had all his gear piled on to a 4 ft long cart.......1 trip.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

My friend, there is such a thing as band mates. Mine help me carry my stuff. :p I also have carrying cases for everything. I have cases for my drums, a bag for my cymbals, and i keep all my stuff like my snare stand, tom racks, drop clutch, and any extra little hardware in a gym bag. My double pedal is the only thing i DONT have a case for. I have seen drummers use a pull cart at some gigs. I think i'll stick to giving my band mates hernias like i've always done.
    “Going out and playing music - that's what I do. I don't do much else.”- Dave Grohl

<3---------------------------------------------------------------------------<3
    It goes a little like this: ~Pearl~Remo~Evans~PDP~Vater~Sabian~Zildjian~

User Info Menu

i just have a cymbal case and a box for my double pedal
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts