Thread: Drum rolls without gaps HELP

User Info Menu

Default Drum rolls without gaps HELP

I`ve been playing drums for over 10 years and yet i still cant get a
    perfect drum roll with out gaps( starting from snare ending on floor tom).
    How do you get from one drum to the next fast without a pause in the roll.
    It might be a silly question but for some reason i really struggle with this.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum rolls without gaps HELP

Whatever pattern you are attempting, slow it down to the point you can play it evenly. Master the pattern at that level, then try it a bit faster.

Isolating the limbs is always a good way to locate your weaknesses. Check out this video for some concepts of training your hands to go around the drums.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gDjyKoRUCU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gDjyKoRUCU[/ame]

User Info Menu

Do it slowly at first, then when you are comfortable increase tempo bit by bit. There's no shortcut to speed and precision.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andreeew View Post
    do it slowly at first, then when you are comfortable increase tempo bit by bit. There's no shortcut to speed and precision.
    +1
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Do it slowly at first, then when you are comfortable increase tempo bit by bit. There's no shortcut to speed and precision.
    I agree...as you start slow, make sure you stick to the tempo. If you're playing 16th notes, accent the down beats to help you stay on tempo....then gradually go faster. Good luck !

User Info Menu

It just takes constant practice a slow speeds then constant practice at higher speeds.
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

It would help to help if you could post a video so we could see what you are doing. Some tips though, play RELAXED. Keep your elbows close to your body. Get rid of any unecessary motion. Put the motion back in for stage presence and the visual if you like, but after you can get around your kit. Use your elbows only to move from your snare to the mounted toms. DON'T LEAN INTO THE DRUMS. Again, and most important, play relaxed. If you feel your biceps or any tension in your upper arms you are doing someting wrong. And as others have already said, play slow. The point of playing slow is to get comfortable with a fluid motion around the kit. With 10 years, I'm sure you can already pull of a single stroke and it's the motion that's hanging you up.

Consider some lessons in technique. Since you've been playing for 10 years the difficulty you are experiencing suggest technique and not ability. Once more, put a video up if you can.

Also, it can help to draw circles on your drum heads so you have a target to aim for. Years ago this was standard practice with many different uses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Absolutely correct.......nothing but practice, practice, practice.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

How have you tuned your toms? I found that loose tom heads really hinder a good roll across the kit, especially double strokes rolls. Sticks need to bounce!
    One of the problems with starting a roll across the kit is that a roll starting with the snare is starting with the easiest drum to use the head-bounce to effect.The rest of the drums become bounce"absorbers" as you work around to the floor tom(with usually the loosest head of all.) So your wrists have to get accustomed to this variation in heads, too!
    I found a good way to practice rolls around the kit-warm up on the floor tom, then start using the smallest tom. You'll notice the difference in head-bounce right away. A few rolls between toms first then try starting with your snare. At this point your snare's tightness will be amazing!
    Eventually you may retune your toms a little tighter which usually moves their sound to a higher pitch with some ringing that can be irritating. So then you may change heads to control the ringing...and now you go to another thread!
    So keep at it-"it ain't rocket science."
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

don't expect your body to do something epic without warming up

User Info Menu

Myself being a young drummer (in drum years, not age ), one tool that has TREMENDOUSLY helps me out on issues like this is a feature on the BOSS DB-90 metronome. There is a training feature that starts at a tempo that you set, then steps up 5bpm every 4 measures, and will eventually max out at 250, then start backing down at the same rate.

Some other metronomes may have the same feature too, but IDK.

If there is a roll or rudiment in which I am weak, I will train with this feature. I will notice at what tempo I reach technical failure, then my goal is to always push that limit.

For me, when training like this, I notice significant results very quickly!

User Info Menu

Great question and good exercises I will try also. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Whatever pattern you are attempting, slow it down to the point you can play it evenly. Master the pattern at that level, then try it a bit faster.

Isolating the limbs is always a good way to locate your weaknesses. Check out this video for some concepts of training your hands to go around the drums.
    Great find, XS. Thanks for that!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Try thinking about your lead hand as a guide through the drum set. So if you are right handed you can lead your way through a series of 1/8 notes with your lead (right) hand. Then think about filling in the lefts carefully and evenly in the spaces between.

Also, think about moving your lead hand in the spaces that the left hits are occurring. There is time to get there to the next note. Stay relaxed and work up from a slow tempo (as everyone seems to concur)

That's my 2-cents.
    .................................................. ..................................
    Creative Construction Drum Play-Along Method Book/CD
    www.ccdrumbooks.com
    www.chrisprescott.com

User Info Menu

If you're talking about a RR-LL roll down the toms from high to low, just immediately move your R down the line when your L is finishing on the first tom. Start with a slow roll then gradually move it up in speed and on't forget to go back up the toms which is a little harder if you're starting with your R.
    MAPEX Meridian Maple
    Transparent Midnight Black
    Sabian XS 20 Rock