Thread: Mapex Janus double kick system

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Janus double kick system

A while ago I bought the Mapex Janus Double Kick pedals with the hi-hat stand attached. It's a pretty handy system that uses only the one pedal for both hi-hat and left kick, switching between the two vie a rotating pedal - left is hi-hat, right is kick.
    Anway, I was wondering if anyone know enough about this pedal to advise on the best way to set it up - i find the left pedal is really hard to use for kick because I can't get it loose enough, or rebounding enough. If i try and reset the system, it throws out the alignment for the switch between hi-hat and kick, and I can't go back and forth the way I'm supposed to. Any advice would be great - thank you

User Info Menu

I myself have never owned a Janus, but am on the market for a new bass drum pedal, so after I answer only part of your question could I get a 'mini-review'?
    To my understanding, if you adjust the cam forwards you should be able to get looser play [how taught the bass drum pedal is], and adjusting the cam backwards, the opposite. But, keep in mind, if I am correct - this will only work to a certain degree, then more extreme alterations may have to take place.
    Hope I Could Be Of Assistance!
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

As for a mini-review - not a problem - it is good on one hand because it is really easy and conveneint to use. No moving your foot around, less bits and pieces involved etc... It really simplifies the process of having and using double-kick. On the other hand, the left pedal is not as natural feeling as it should be because of the system, so for flat out foot work and speed, it is not the best option. For occassional use, triplets, "jogging" (it's a term i heard used for like repeated triplets), occasional blasting and that though it is quite good. It is comfy, and doesn't take long to get used to switching between controlling hi-hat and kick. It has the good old switchable beaters, to go from wood or a quick turn and your using the old fashioned fabric tip. You could even turn it a bit further and use the rounded plastic side for an entirely different sound of you want - so in that sense you could argue it has three-tip beaters. The pedals are a good size (for me) and the way it attaches to your drum uses a nice wide clamp, so it is less damaging to the set - this is pretty typical of mapex pedals. Another feature is that because of the system it uses, it "clamps" the pedals to your feet. if you don't like this however, you can loosen them or take them off entirely.

So it depends on your style and how profficient your are with double kick really - and what ever you start to use is what your going to get used to - like me - although I haven't played in a loooooooooooong time now unfortunately.

Anyway - hope the "mini-review" helps you too. Not sure how easily you will find it though, it seems to be a pretty rare system.

User Info Menu

I've been looking for a little device like that for a while. I think I'm starting to get used to switching as fast as I can back and forth from my hat to left kick though.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Janus double kick system

Old thread back from the dead, thank you Google search.

I just picked up the hi-hat side of this. I thought it was the entire thing, but apparently not. Yay for slightly vague Ebay descriptions. I'll see if the store offers me anything better than a regular Mapex double pedal at store cost. I want the matching pedal because I bought it as a strange novelty item, not for a piece of gear that I'll be using a lot. So hopefully I can get this taken care of...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Mapex Janus double kick system

Oooops...Better Luck Nxt Time...
    Gotta Be Careful On Ebay...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Janus double kick system

I might take them up on their offer for a Mapex double at cost. I'll use that until I can find a Janus pedal. Then I'll slap the Mapex one on my 6-piece with the XS20s and sell it to the guy whose house it resides at.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47