Thread: Yamaha Oak Custom review

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Oak Custom review

I recently purchased a Yamaha Oak Custom 5 piece shell kit in "Red Oak".
    I had just purchased a Pearl Free Floating 6.5 x 14 Copper shell snare drum so the Oak snare was not needed.

Right out of the box, the batter heads came off and were replaced with the Aquarian Focus-X Coated heads on the Toms.

The wood grain of the Oak along with the beautiful deep Red lacquered finish makes this drum kit a visual Extravaganza ~! To say its Eye-Catching is an understatement.

The Tom mount is a beautiful piece of heavy duty hardware. It not only looks great...it works great. The rack mount itself has 3 holes...the two back holes hold the tom mounts and the front hole will hold the Yamaha accessory cymbal stand...either the short type or the long type. Im sure other manufacturers similar cymbal stands will also fit.
    The Tom mounts are Yamaha's YESS mounts...they are attached to the Toms by means of Two Bolts located at the Nodal Point of the drum, which is the point of minimal shell resonance, thereby allowing the drum to resonate at its tonal peak and at full volume.

These drums easily tune to any range between the higher Jazz tuning to the lowest Rock and Country tuning and have a full deep resonance with more volume than other drums and a sharp attack. And they retain this beautiful tone when played at low volumes. Yamaha says they are the Loudest drums you will ever play and they didnt lie.

The Kick drum....is a marvelous work or art. Its a 22" x 17" Cannon~! The original reso head it came with was White with the Black Yamaha lettering and no offset port.
    I had already taken off my Yamaha Power V Special Ebony reso head with the White Yamaha lettering off my old kick drum and it now resides on my new Red Oak Custom kick drum.
    I replaced the clear batter head with an Evans EMAD Coated and on the inside of the kick, I placed a sheet of 1" x 30" of high density foam to take the edge off the volume and resonance of the kick.
    With the above changes to the Kick drum...the tonal quality is amazing!
    I tuned it LOW and it has all the depth you could ask for in a kick drum, plus its got more than enough volume to be heard over the rest of the band. We play in a hall that seats 250 ...average crowd runs 135 to 150 and we play a mixture of 50s and 60s rock, traditional country and big band and western swing so the kit has to blend in and enhance the sound of the group as a whole.
    It does the job better than I could have imagined it would.
    Mic'ing this kick along with a Yamaha Sub-Kick would make graves open up!
    Yamaha lists this kit as one of their three Handcrafted drum kits in their Professional drum line selection.

I have been playing drums since 1964 and feel I am qualified to make a professional evaluation of a drum kit...and in my honest opinion, it belongs right where Yamaha has it placed.

The quality of the finish, the quality of the sound and the quality of the included hardware is totally top of the line in Professional drum kits.

Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Yamaha Oak Custom review

Man I love your set. And thanks for all the input on it. Very nice indeed

User Info Menu

Great review, and gorgeous drums. Although I just got rid of my Yamahas, I have to echo your sentiments about the tom holder. It's so simple, so functional, and such high quality, it was easily the most surprising thing about my Tour Customs. I can tell you from experience that other brands cymbals arms work with the mount. I believe the one I was using was a Gibraltar and it fit perfectly!

Congrats on such a beautiful kit.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

On your kick drum foam, is it touching both heads? What is the blue I see in there?

User Info Menu

Great review! Love the kit!

User Info Menu

Very nice drums !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    On your kick drum foam, is it touching both heads? What is the blue I see in there?
    The Blue you are seeing is the "Foam"...they didnt have any left in a more neutral color. The foam does NOT touch either head. With the foam being as clingy as it is, it molds itself to the drum and does not move around.

Good question about touching or not touching the heads...~and to make it perfectly clear...It does not touch either head.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Interesting!
    I really love Yamaha..I have a yamaha oak custom X with the same snare drum as you.

User Info Menu

Warren, that is an awesome kit and a thoroughly thorough review. Nice work.

Now you got me taking a harder look at the Yammies. Thanks a lot!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSleath View Post
    Interesting!
    I really love Yamaha..I have a yamaha oak custom X with the same snare drum as you.

Welcome to Drum Chat AndiSleath!

Cool loking kit, and very interesting to have a Roto Tom instead of the traditional tom. What gave you the idea to do it?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha Oak Custom review

Hi! thanks for the welcome.

Well i really like roto toms..due to them sounding great tunned high and low.
    Also you can change the tunning quicker than any other drum.

I got the idea from being into drummers like Alex Van Halen..though i wanted to try something new and instead of having loads of rotos...just one in a larger size.
    this remo roto tom is 14" shame i hear they arent made anymore.

The best thing about my kit is the undrilled 22"x 20" bass drum..i think its only available in europe..its beats the previous nicest kick i ever played which was on a Slinglerland.

Sorry none of my cymbals or hardware aren't pictured.

User Info Menu

Lose that bloody cowbell contraption, apart from that gorgeous set.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Lose that bloody cowbell contraption, apart from that gorgeous set.
    Dont worry about Ratmuycue his dad kicked him of the farm, so he dont like cow bells lol

User Info Menu

Yamaha druns are great but I am not hip to way they install their tom mounts. It looks like they could fail in the field!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buck20 View Post
    Yamaha druns are great but I am not hip to way they install their tom mounts. It looks like they could fail in the field!
    Found this old post while searching for Oak Custom bass drum info.

Thought I'd respond about the tom mounts. Normally the 10 and 12 would be mounted on the bass drum and the center shaft would be way down in the bass drum, for much more stability.
    The 14 would normally be used as a floor tom. Either hanging off a cymbal stand, on a stand of its own, or with legs mounted.

The OP just preferred a different way, which resulted in the toms being way high, due to mounting the 14" on the bass drum.