Thread: Kit Comparisons/advice

User Info Menu

Default Kit Comparisons/advice

Anyone had any experience with Mapex? I'm debating on getting the mapex pro m studio set for 1299 with free black panther snare vs. Gretsch catalina maple fusion which is just the shell pack for 699 [URL="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=mapex[/URL]

[URL="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Drums-Catalina-Maple-Fusion-Shell-Pack-with-Free-16-Floor-Tom?sku=445670[/URL]

I am also in need of some bright sounding cymbals, but am a heavy hitter. Any advice, experience, tips, etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks!

User Info Menu

the pro m is pretty nice, but i am a big fan of the catalina. i havnt played the maples but the birch is the best "sounding" intermediate level kit i've played. and that is compaired to the pro m, the sonor force 3005, pdp, yamaha stage custom, pearl export...ect. and cheaper too. with the extra money you can buy a great snare...even a better black panther than the free one offered with the pro m. of the other intermediate kits i mentioned the pro m would rank third under the sonor force 3005.

User Info Menu

I myself own a Catalina birch, incredible set. I bought it with two cymbal stands, a hi-hat, and a crash/ride for only $750. I've never had the opportunity to play the Mapex Pros but they seem pretty cheap for their size. The only thing I really like about Pearl Exports is that they're one of the most expandable sets around.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Complete package of Mapex Pro M's or Shells only of the Gretsch?

Make no mistake, I've heard great things about the Catalina, but I'd probably lean towards the Mapex kit.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

mapex have got some beautiful sounding kits and that deal does sound pretty good on the mapex since the gretsch is just a shell pack.

having said that, i can comment on the catalina birch , im glad i made the choice coz for an imtermediate kit, it sounds great! i have had many positive comments on its sound. you cant go wrong with a gretsch kit but you gotta have the bang for bucks as well. in this case with your decision, sounds like the mapex.

Last edited by livewire80; 04-12-2007 at 02:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Love my Mapex M

I got my Mapex M 6-piece honey amber kit for 699 US dollars, all hardware (and good, sturdy stuff) included, and even free shipping. I love it! The floor tom just sends a boom through my chest--deep and resonant--and the little 8x7 free tom goes in the other direction with that sweet, high sound that accents a fill. The matching snare has a very nice CRACK! with every hit.

Though I've never played a Gretsch set-up, and can't make a comparison, I will say this: I love my set, and wouldn't trade it for any other! (Ok, maybe Neil Peart's....LOL) Its picture has become my computer's wallpaper. (My wife was not happy about this! "What about your kids?!") Sometimes when I'm not playing or when I get home from somewhere, I have to go stare at my kit and just touch it. It's so frickin' gorgeous that it's SICK!

I'll send you the link for the store that sold it to me. I called and asked him if his e-bay starting bid was just that, a starting bid, or if he would sell it to me for that price. At the time, the opening bid was 669, and though he added 30 bucks to that, I feel like I made a steal. Check out the prices on e-bay now: This is the only one at the 700 level. Other M birch sets are going for like 850 now. And btw, I bought it from him on the phone (i.e., didn't go through the e-bay site), and had it at my doorstep within a week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAPEX-M-BIRCH-6-...QQcmdZViewItem

His seller's site:
    http://stores.ebay.com/The-Music-Store

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post and welcome to drum chat. I will check out that link when I get home. That's one heck of a deal it sounds like.

User Info Menu

You're very welcome, Demonslayer! As you could probably tell, I get pretty excited talking about my new kit.
    You're pretty close to me: Murphy is probably only an hour to 90 minutes from Dalton, Georgia.
    Good luck with your search! I was also seriously considering the Gretsch (Mapex and Gretsch were actually the two I had narrowed it down to), and I think, based on other people's comments, that I would have done well either way.
    Later.