Thread: Best mini timbales?

User Info Menu

Default Best mini timbales?

Any ideas which are the better of the bunch? The Meinl's look good...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best mini timbales?

The only one's I have experience with are the Tama ones, and they're awesome!
    Matt

User Info Menu

I'd love to try them all out...hahaha.

User Info Menu

I just bought the John Dolmayan Percussion Pack a couple of weeks ago. It's made by LP and comes with two timbales, a cowbell and a mount for a drum stand. They sound good considering the fact that they are mini. But I still totally want the full-sized ones.

User Info Menu

Are you adding to a drumset for an aux efx sound, or are you wanting to learn timbales? The only mini timbs I have owned were Toca, they sounded really nice. I also used to have a set of LP brass timbalitos, closer to an actual timbale they were 9.5" and 10.5" and 6" deep, excellent sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    The only one's I have experience with are the Tama ones, and they're awesome!
    I had those once and I liked em too, thinking about getting them again.

User Info Menu

I am looking to get an add-on to my drumset, but the won't just be for 'effect.' I do Latin stuff and I just can't carry a HUGE timbale with my set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    I am looking to get an add-on to my drumset, but the won't just be for 'effect.' I do Latin stuff and I just can't carry a HUGE timbale with my set.
    In this case I would look into the LP timbalitos. I can understand not wanting to carry around a full size set, but if you are planning to play some latin stuff you will want the closest to the real thing. Especially if you plan on playing cascara patterns on the shell, it is nearly impossible on mini timbs. The timbalitos are full size depth with a smaller diameter making it easier to transport and you have more room to play around with the setup, without sacraficing too much of the traditional timbale sound. Mini-timbs are great for efx and adding accents, but not ideal in a latin situation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    In this case I would look into the LP timbalitos. I can understand not wanting to carry around a full size set, but if you are planning to play some latin stuff you will want the closest to the real thing. Especially if you plan on playing cascara patterns on the shell, it is nearly impossible on mini timbs. The timbalitos are full size depth with a smaller diameter making it easier to transport and you have more room to play around with the setup, without sacraficing too much of the traditional timbale sound. Mini-timbs are great for efx and adding accents, but not ideal in a latin situation.
    This is good advice and it's something I had to find out the hard way. Just like Gretschhead said, the minis are so small that you would likely have trouble using them for anything other than adding accents to your fills and beats. I am planning to buy the regular-sized timbales myself. Now I also will check out the timbalitos before I spend any more money.
    Last edited by Cassandra; 08-30-2010 at 06:10 PM.