Thread: Quick question, help!

User Info Menu

Default Quick question, help!

Hey all!
    Just a real quick question about Pretty Light's previous drummer.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mg3jqgenNk"]YouTube- Pretty Lights Live @ Red Rocks July 2009[/ame]

I realize its hard to tell what type of kit hes playing, but all i wanted to know was what kind of drum pad is it. And how does he produce that non acoustic, sort of electronic sound? I dont think he even touches the pad this song.
    Thanks to all,
    Jed

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quick question, help!

I'm not sure Jed. Are you thinking of the thing to his left that looks like a console?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

yeah thats what im reffering too, and i also wanna know how he gets the electric sound, as apposed to acoustic. thanks again.
    jed

User Info Menu

Sounds like he's using a synth midi sample on his computer. You can run something like that without a set at all if you want, you just need a spec-heavy computer to run something like sonar/cubase/flstudio. If you don't like the stock loops inside of the recording software, you can still use it as a host program for VSTi software to use their samples and loops instead.(don't forget your midi controller as well) Since program to program features vary, it's hard to tell which exact programs he's running without asking him. My guess is he's sampling from a dance/funk expansion pack to Superior Drummer or BFD, and the drummer is backing him.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Im not talking about the DJ! im talking about the drummer! (we are on drum chat :P). That pad he has on lookers right of the drummer.
    jed

User Info Menu

The drummer is in extremely dim lighting and I don't have the time to watch the entire video to try and catch a better glimpse but, from what I can tell, he's using a Roland PD-125 as his snare and is triggering sounds out of the module to his left, which is likely a Roland TD-20.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I think the module he is referring to is on the drummers left. If that is what you are talking about, it looks like an SPD-20 or the newer SPD-30. It is an electronic percussion pad made by Roland. I think Alesis and Simmons also make similar products. You can play the unit itself, or plug other pads into it and trigger the sounds like that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfQf75QOFdk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfQf75QOFdk[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clrizz View Post
    I think the module he is referring to is on the drummers left. If that is what you are talking about, it looks like an SPD-20 or the newer SPD-30. It is an electronic percussion pad made by Roland. I think Alesis and Simmons also make similar products. You can play the unit itself, or plug other pads into it and trigger the sounds like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfQf75QOFdk
    I agree....in addition, you can connect the octopad to another midi-capable synth to obtain additional sounds. Also, if you're referring to those laser sounds, I believe those are standard sounds that are bundled into the device.

User Info Menu

Its also pretty cool how he plays with no toms whatsoever. just the bass snair hi hats and cymbals.
    Jed

User Info Menu

one last quick question...
    just to clear it up. So it looks like hes playing some Yamaha kick, a bunch of real cymbals and hi hat, then the v drum snare?! that sounds like a sick setup.

User Info Menu

Hello i īve seen dave weckl using similar