Thread: Trying to find a good way to tune my toms?

User Info Menu

Default Trying to find a good way to tune my toms?

I have 12, 13, and 16 inch toms, and I've never really been able to find a good way to tune them. I've heard this certain way of tuning in a few songs that I really dig, and I dunno how easy it is to get without studio EQing. It seems like it's a pitch bend.

It's in the first ten seconds of this song(I don't enjoy the song much but it has a good example) when he does two tom hits.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUgIFKLhe_I"]YouTube- TDWP-Modeify the Pronunciation[/ame]

And then there is a tom fill if you go to 3:10 in this song, you hear a lot of attack but there is also something like the first song with that pitch bend-like style.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osdHg6K4M_M"]YouTube- The Black Mages - Battle Theme (FFVI)[/ame]

How would I be able to get this kind of tuning, if at all?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying to find a good way to tune my toms?

The first one, the toms sound like they're tuned equal pitch. The second one sounds like electronic drums, though you could get a similar sound by tuning the tom reso head lower then the batter head by a half step or full step.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I haven't heard the videos. This could help you and maybe not. This is how I always tune my toms. Finger tight then 1 full turn and tap edges to bring tension same all around. Reso basically the same except I give it 1/2 turn more tighter than batter. This works well for me. If this is not your thng then you can always adjust the tensions by 1/4 turn up or down till you feel comfortable with them. I have used this method on single and double plies and they sound good. You may have to put piece of moongel to kill some overtones or maybe not depending on it sounds to you. Good luck

User Info Menu

Maybe this can help: The Drumdial precision gage. I intent to buy one, it looks like a very nice and precice tool to tune your drums. With that you can ajust the head at equal pressure all around the shell.

There is also tutorial video bu Bob Gatzen

Excellent tutorial to learn to tune.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU&feature=related"]YouTube- Bob Gatzen - Tom Tuning[/ame]
    Last edited by drummer; 09-03-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Commercial Link

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Trying to find a good way to tune my toms?

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    Maybe this can help: The Drumdial precision gage. I intent to buy one, it looks like a very nice and precice tool to tune your drums. With that you can ajust the head at equal pressure all around the shell.

There is also tutorial video bu Bob Gatzen

Excellent tutorial to learn to tune.

YouTube- Bob Gatzen - Tom Tuning
    I have one of those gauges but mine is the Tama Tension Watch which is familliar to the DDial except it measures in mm instead of inches so it is more precise.

User Info Menu

Pearl MCX Man

Does it work well ? i mean do you succed in putting the same tention easely all around the shell and get an excellent resonnance and tone?

What is your overall appreciation of this tuning tool.

Tx

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Trying to find a good way to tune my toms?

Pearl MCX Man

Does it work well ? i mean do you succed in putting the same tention easely all around the shell and get an excellent resonnance and tone?

Tx
    I appreciate it greatly. It has it's downfalls like anything else. It works the best on tight measures all around the head but not as good on looser settings as you may find most all the rods the same except for one or two that is still loose. So I basically tighten them up by hand to the same tension feel as the others. This is where tuning by the feel is helpfull even though it will not register like the rest it still sounds good with the tap test other than that it is a good invention for quick tuning before a gig or session. Once the drums are tuned by the settings they sound awesome with the tone and resonance. It is worth to investigate at your local music store and test it. Hope this is helpfull.

User Info Menu

Pearl MCX Man

Tx

I works "Exceptionally Well"...And it works for any style of tuning you use:

Both heads at the same tension and the same overall "tone" or "pitch"
    Batter head tensioned higher in tone than the Reso head=Overall lower tone
    Batter head tensioned lower in tone that the Reso head.=Overall higher tone
    The drum tuned to a particular "Note" or "Pitch"

The only thing you need ter you use the Drum Dial OR the Tama device is to slightly muffle the center of the head and "lightly" tap around the head about an inch from each tuning lug to hear the actual "Pitch" or "Note" the drum produces at those points.
    If there is any difference in pitch or tone...Pick the one tuning lug that has the best tone to you and then adjust each of the other lugs to match the tone of that one.

Flip the head and do the same process to the other head.

Along with the Drum Dial, there is a distance gauge that attaches to the Dial that keeps the dial at a specified distance from the tuning lugs as well as a Chart that gives you tension readings that most drummers use -IE: Batter head Coated sgl ply = 80-90 etc.
    It lists sgl ply, double ply heads, with or without coated heads and includes Batter head as well as Reso head tensions.

I found these "Extremely Accurate" in that the tensions they listed cover Jazz tuning down to the lowest Rock or Country tunings. and on the flip side you can write down your own tensions you use..so you can refer to it when you change heads.

Most drums, especially the Snare drum, will have one or several lugs loosen off after a night of playing. At the end of every set, I recheck my snare to make sure the tone is the same all around the snare and if one lug has slightly backed off, putting it back to pitch is a quick and easy process.

Dont Leave Home Without It~~~!!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I am going to buy one of these, that's for sure.