Thread: Need to quiet the set....sadly

User Info Menu

Default Need to quiet the set....sadly

Hey all!
    I currently have a tama rockstar 2002 edition, and i love it. But, im moving into a small apartment in NYC. To be honest, im not willing to give up my kit for an e kit, because of how different the feel is. To me, nothing about an E kit seems fun, or enjoyable. If you disagree, why? Also, I need to stay CHEAP, because after moving and bills, i really cant afford much at the moment. I was thinking just slap some rubber pads on the drums and cymbals and hi hat, is this still enjoyable to play? Also, once i can afford it, can i set up triggers with the rubber pads still on?! Any other suggestions can only help! cant hurt to brainstorm! Thanks to all who respond,
    Jed

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need to quiet the set....sadly

Quote Originally Posted by jedkleb View Post
    Hey all!
    I currently have a tama rockstar 2002 edition, and i love it. But, im moving into a small apartment in NYC. To be honest, im not willing to give up my kit for an e kit, because of how different the feel is. To me, nothing about an E kit seems fun, or enjoyable. If you disagree, why? Also, I need to stay CHEAP, because after moving and bills, i really cant afford much at the moment. I was thinking just slap some rubber pads on the drums and cymbals and hi hat, is this still enjoyable to play? Also, once i can afford it, can i set up triggers with the rubber pads still on?! Any other suggestions can only help! cant hurt to brainstorm! Thanks to all who respond,
    Jed
    I used to live in an apartment and yeah...it sucked.
    I really recommend the pearl mesh heads. They even make bass drum heads. The down side to them is that they are a little too bouncy and you need to throw off the snare wires(it sounds horrible and it's pretty loud if the wires are on).
    The good part about them though, is that they are really quiet and let you hear the tone of the drums. They are quite durable also.

You can get any kind of mutes for the crashes and the ride but get these kind of mutes for the hats. They quiet them down a lot and it doesn't sound as bad as the other mutes.

As for triggering, I have no idea how the crap that works but I know a couple people on here did it with the mesh heads I talked about.

Good luck man.
    And btw, try to get a place on the first floor so you don't have to worry about the people below you complaining. If you can't though, just know that the people below you WILL be able to hear moderate tapping sounds from the hi-hat.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Here is a video on the rhythm traveller with the mesh heads (for noise comparison). I'd say go with the mesh heads, and throw mutes on the cymbals.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryc5Tafdxj4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryc5Tafdxj4[/ame]

As for an ekit, I know they are nothing like an acoustic set, but for your situation they are ideal. Take a look at a properly set up kit, and try it out. They can be a lot of fun if you go into it knowing their limitations, and more importantly knowing what they are capable of.

Too many people (including ekit manufacturers) compare electronic drums to acoustic sets. They ARE similar but should be approached as two different instruments. Think of an electric guitar vs acoustic, not quite an accurate comparison, but it gets the point across. They are essentially played the same way, but are worlds apart in HOW they are played.

My point is (I do have one...) for the time being (and budget) go with the mesh heads and mutes, but don't rule out a used ekit down the road. Because you could add triggers, cymbals, and a module to your existing kit with mesh heads, but it may (or may not, depends on any bargains you come across) cost more to go that route.

Sorry about the long winded post, just wanted to throw my .02 out there.

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand
    Pork Pie Big Boy Bicycle Throne

User Info Menu

Yeah, the mesh heads do seem to be the best option for me. Are they hard to interchange, and you said get mesh heads, and mutes. i thought the mesh heads alone function as mutes.
    thanks again,
    jed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedkleb View Post
    Yeah, the mesh heads do seem to be the best option for me. Are they hard to interchange, and you said get mesh heads, and mutes. i thought the mesh heads alone function as mutes.
    thanks again,
    jed
    You change them just like normal heads.

The mutes are for the cymbals and the mesh are for the drums.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)