Thread: 8 inch tom tuning

User Info Menu

Default 8 inch tom tuning

Good morning all! I picked up a Sonor 3007 8" tom for my collection. Having a hard time getting any kind of decent sound out of it. Flat and dead tone. I'm running coated Emperors on everything else and they sing. Is this size tom a better candidate for a single ply head like an Ambassador maybe?? Don't have any experiance with this size of tom. Any input appreciated.

SK
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Default Re: 8 inch tom tuning

I like this little method when I cant seem to get a drum sounding right and it has satisfied me everytime.

1) With all tension rods loose finger tighten two at a time from the side twisting them till snug.

2) Take the drum key and lightly go around the head(crisscrossing) until all the rods are just tight enough that that if you where to get them any tighter you would have to apply pressure to the key.

Does that make sense? I only tighten to take out the slack. As soon as a tension rod shows resistance its good.

User Info Menu

8 inch toms generally dont have a lot of sustain.

User Info Menu

Due to the lack of surface on the drum head as well as the small size of the drum you shouldn't get much sustain. Just tune it high, like it's supposed to be. Use it as an accent drum or something.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I used to think 'small tom, little sustain,' but my Gretsch 8" proved me wrong. It sustains well when it is tuned properly. I used to have a 1o" tom that was a bear to tune for any kind of sustain; I got a DrumDial and made sure the drum was in tune with itself. Maybe getting a clear head instead of a coated will help with that drum as well. . .
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I have found that a single ply head on my 8" tom sounds much better simply because a 2 ply head (emperor) and the fact that it is coated, chokes the drum. Put a single ply ambassedor battter head or better yet a diplomat wright head on it and it will sing like the rest of your drum

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to put a single ply head on it and give that a shot. I figured that the Emperor might not have been the best choice for this size of drum. Although they work great on my 10, 12, 13, and 16" toms. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again!

SK

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

I agree with fumbletime except I would give the tom a full turn after the finger tight cause to me that is too loose and you can dent your heads. This is how I tune mine and I have a great sound but not sure how that would work on a 8 tom. Single ply would be the best option for that drum in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I have an 8" Mapex Birch, I was using a EC-2 on all my toms, I put a G-Plus on the 8" with a EC Reso and got a nice sound. I put very little pressure on the tuning key.
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I put a coated Ammbassador on it and I'm happy with the sound now. Thanks for the input!

sk

Proudly Playing

Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes