Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back pain

User Info Menu

Default Back pain

Anyone ever experience back pain from sitting on a stool for hours and hours ? I do. Any suggestions ?
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

drink lots of alcheehaul
    max

User Info Menu

Boo, you can buy the stools that have backrests. Or you can buy the backrests only in some circumstances.

Get a book or pamphlet from the doctor with back exercises in it. It helps tremendously.

Also, make sure you're sitting up straight when you play. I know this one's obvious but many drummers slouch (like Buddy!)

User Info Menu

I know this one's obvious but many drummers slouch (like Buddy!)[/QUOTE]

...easy now !
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

I can help here...my profession, LOL!!! Well, the traditional thrones are HORRIBLE on the back. Unless you keep a totally upright posture in order to take the pressure off of your lumbar spine, lower back, you are cruisin for a bruisin!!!

So, like Drummer said, the thrones with the back rest are ideal, also prior to playing a gig or even practicing, you should do some back exercises that will stretch the muscles in all parts of your back, not only will you experience less back pain, but you also will dramatically increase your flexibility around the kit.

I will post some exercises on the board for yall to do. I hope this helps and you will get the relief you are asking for.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Default Back Pain

Might check the height of your throne, too...if your seat is too low, it may put stress on your legs, too.

Another thing you might watch out for is pain in your legs...people who sit too long (like at a computer or a drum set) run the risk of developing blood clots (the kind that some people get on an extended airline flight).

It's a good idea to get up and move around if you can during breaks--that's what they suggest on those long flights, BTW...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    ....Another thing you might watch out for is pain in your legs...people who sit too long (like at a computer or a drum set) run the risk of developing blood clots (the kind that some people get on an extended airline flight)....
    omg is that why my knees have been driving me crazy?!?!? does that effect your knees? cuz for the last couple weeks i noticed that sometimes when i play for a while i get up & i cant walk! sooooooooooo much pain in my knees! i should see a doctor, huh? its pretty severe.. i have to sit back down and stretch out my legs, and then i somehow manage to get across the garage and into my sisters room, and limp around on her old crutches for a little while till it feels better. been meaning to get to a doctor, but havent had much time lately...
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Default Back Pain

Lezzle, I don't think that applies to you necessarily !

In your case, you're probably working your legs for extended periods (and since you're still growing, that adds to the pain--figuratively and literally). Older people (30+) may have issues with blood clots that can result from extended periods of sitting...that's what I was referring to extended airline flights, which was where the first really bad cases were diagnosed.

In your case, you may want to do what you're already doin' anyway--take a break and move your legs around somewhere other than behind the drum set...

If Drummer4Him has the exercises up, check them out...not a bad idea for me either!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

hmm i asked my drum teacher last night, he said its not normal and i should see a doctor... lol
    i think theres just something wrong with my knees, cuz i noticed that since its been hurting on the drumset, they also hurt when i run, or walk for a really long time. ill talk to my dad, see what he says.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

rumitouid artheritis...or however you spell that...i know a young person with that...you might have it...hopefully not though

User Info Menu

oh my god.... i hope not too...
    i go to the doctor on monday, ill let u know how it goes...
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

good luck!

User Info Menu

thanks! (now that u've worried me.... lol jk)
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

opps...sorry...:(

User Info Menu

lol its ok
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    Anyone ever experience back pain from sitting on a stool for hours and hours ? I do. Any suggestions ?
    Get off your duff! I usually try to get up between songs and do some stretching.
    two beats = tempo, three beats = some iPhone app

User Info Menu

K, you've got to get rid of that stupid sig line!

I know... how about, "Computer geeks are homos".

User Info Menu

hey....i'm a computer geek!.......i even have a degree in computers and i have a job as an IT Professional...

User Info Menu

oops! LOL Well, you know it's all in fun right? K is actually a friend of mine. I rib him all the time.

User Info Menu

i said id get back to you on my knees, so i am.
    he told me theres a chance i might have rheumatoid arthritis, which is odd because of my age. hes going to test me on wednesday. i cant beleive i might acctually have it... (utopia that is sooo weird.. i guess u were right. i am soo scared.) it can be permanently damaging to my knees, and if its severe, i may not be able to do any physical activity using my knees. (pretty much everything!!!!) but i may not, and i hope i dont. wish me luck!
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

damit i hate being right...:(...sorry lezz, i'll just keep my mouth shut next time!..but just remember....the mind is a powerfull thing....I once saw someone overcome cancer by just thinking about it...if u do actually have artheritis, don't fret, if ur strong enough u can live a very good life of physical activity and completely overcome it...goood luck and Stay Strong in Mind, Body, and Soul!

User Info Menu

thanks utopia, i really appreciate it!
    its good to know theres someone that doesnt just go "whoa lezz ur skrewed."

its hard to think about, but im just keepin in mind that I MIGHT NOT HAVE IT!!! lol
    ill let you know when i get results.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

doc says i must allow a week today, and its the 27th so ill let u know on the
    3rd thanx again for ur support!!!
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i'm looking forward to the results

User Info Menu

gud luck leslie!!!