Thread: Paiste Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Paiste Drummers

This thread is for Paiste drummers obviously. What model do you own? How can you compare them to other cymbal manufacturers?
    I'd specifically like to know if anyone still uses the PST models.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i dont use paiste's but RUDE'S sure do look sweet

User Info Menu

I am debating between Sound Edge hats and Mastersounds... I would like to move away from Zildjian but I like both of the hi hats. I use a Paiste Sound Formula dark crash that I wouldn't be able to live without and my dad has Sound Formula hats that sounds pretty dang good (and they've lasted for quite a long time too).
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

i had a mixed set of rudes and 400 colorsounds in like 1988-89 broke em all in prolly 2 years (yeah i was still a cymbal crushin' noob on a slayer kick) except for the 20" colorsound ride wich i still have but dont use. i really like the sig series and always loved the 2002s. i hear great things about the new alpha series. i hear for a LOUD hard rock cymbal that they sound better/more musical than the more expensive rudes and zil. z customs.

User Info Menu

I would say for hats.. go with the sound edge. I love em. I also use 2002's and Giant Beats ( these are no longer made, the 2002's replaced em)
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

I'm a Paiste player all the way!

I have the Alpha series 14", 16" thin, and 18" crashes, 20" ride, 14" china, and 14" Sound Edge hats, plus a 12" splash and 16" crash from the 802 series. The 14" crash is really splashy with a pretty fast decay. The 16" thin crash is loud and airy, my fav. The 18" crash has a huge rock sound that can be very overpowering if not used correctly . The 14" china gives that great china sound, only a little higher pitched and dies off fast. The 14" Sound Edge hats are freakin' awesome! Very articulate, bright projective chick, and lightning fast response. The 12" 802 splash is a little tinny to me. I might get rid of this and get a better quality/different size splash, but the 16" 802 crash is a perfect compliment to the Alpha crashes. Loud and bright with a medium decay. I might add more in the future (probably more Alpha's or maybe some 2002s) but I'm very happy with the quality and sound of the Alphas.

I have had a PST 3 crash and gave it away. After about a month I could'nt stand the sound of it (kinda like hitting the side of a metal building with a rock). The PST 5 hats I had were not any better (ever bang 2 garbage can lids together?). I have also had a 16" Signature Reflector crash that was very nice quality and great sounding, but it did'nt fit in with the rest of my setup. A few of my friends have some of the 2002 and 3000 series cymbals and I really like the sound of them.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paiste Drummers

All my current cymbals are Paiste. I can't really compare them to other cymbals I have owned as all my cymbals have always been Paiste. I did recently borrow a Sabian HH 18" crash and HHX 16" crash. As a Paiste guy, I won't admit publicly how much I liked those crashes. My Paistes are so shiny though.

Here is my current line-up:
    2002 18" Crash
    2002 10" Splash
    PST 5 20" Med. Ride
    PST 5 16" Med. Crash
    PST 5 14" Med. Hats

User Info Menu

I only have 1 at the moment, but im getting more

Paiste FTW!
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

my favorites were a chestem thompson ride, and a 20" heavy china do they still make the china
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

I got a 22" alpha rock ride and it is imo the best ride ever. After I got the ride I decided to give one of the alpha rock crashes a try. I got he 18" alpha rock crash. I'm very happy with the crash, but I really like the ride.

User Info Menu

Woah another old thread resurrected!

P.S. I love Paiste!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    This thread is for Paiste drummers obviously. What model do you own? How can you compare them to other cymbal manufacturers?
    I'd specifically like to know if anyone still uses the PST models.

I've got PST3 cymbals - as an older hobbyist it seemed to make sense keeping budgetary issues in mind. 13" hats and two 20" rides - 3 rivets in right hand side ride and rivet cluster in other. They sounded good in the drum shop (bought them new), they sound good in my apartment and I'm sure they'll sound good in a room and/or outdoors.

User Info Menu

yeah i've got PST3 at the minute my alphas still haven't came :( they arent bad though
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I have PST 5 10" splash,16" med. 18" thin and 22 med ride 14" med hh. And I love them. They have that old zildjian " A " sound, to me, but thats me.............
    Premier "XPK" 10" 12" 13" 14" 16" 22" Premier 2000 snare
    Aquarian Heads, Responce 2, Impact 2 Bass, w/ reso.
    Paiste PST-5, 14" HH,16", 18" Crash, 20" Ride, 10" splash
    Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
    Tama RoadPro HH Stand
    Tama Double Tom Stand
    PDP Stands
    Isn't wonderful to be one of God's Children

"PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"
    "PAISTE POSSE"

User Info Menu

I've got an old paiste RUDE 18inch C/R. I love it! very dark, trashy sound. I cracked it and cut it out, but its still an awesome cymbal.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

ThePloughman Guest

I played the same Paiste black label 2oo2 cymbals for 25 years. (1979-2004) In 2002, Bought a set of Paiste Signatures, then a set of Traditionals and sold the 2oo2s to pay for the Trads. About a year later 2005 sold both sets to help pay to refi the house. Played on some not so crappy B8 pros for about 6 months, then in 06, bought the nicest set of K Customs a man could ever want to own. And in 08, I sold those and am again playing Paiste 2oo2 cymbals. But I sure do miss those K Customs in a small venue.

User Info Menu

Only Paiste's I have are my hats, which are 3000's. They aren't the Sound Edge however. Don't see many of them around, but I've had them forever and love them.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Haven't looked at this thread in a loooooooong time lol.
    I'm Signature all the way nowadays. It doesn't matter what I look at or play, the sound of any Paiste Signature is music to my ears.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZildjianKid234 View Post
    I've got an old paiste RUDE 18inch C/R. I love it! very dark, trashy sound. I cracked it and cut it out, but its still an awesome cymbal.
    I've got one of them too, totally love it. I am wondering one thing though...

...HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO CRACK IT!!!??? Haha, they're some super heavy duty cymbals.

User Info Menu

Current line up:

--Paiste Signature 14 inch dark crisp hi hats
    --Paiste Twenty (21") ride
    --Paiste Signature 14 inch fast crash
    --Paiste Signature 16 inch fast crash
    --Paiste Signature 18 inch fast crash
    --Paiste Twenty (16") thin china
    --Zil bel (9")
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

ThePloughman Guest

Heh, i forgot to post the cymbals.

2oo2

14 Sound Edge Hats
    16 Crash
    18 Crash
    20 Ride
    24 Ride
    18 Thin China
    12 Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    I've got one of them too, totally love it. I am wondering one thing though...

...HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO CRACK IT!!!??? Haha, they're some super heavy duty cymbals.
    Well, i got it from my uncle as a christmas present, and it was cracked when i got it...the crack got bigger, and bigger, and eventually i cut it out.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

i have paiste rudes and signatures, and will be replacin my ride with a 24" rude ride and my crash with a 18" signature full crash

IMO paiste is defitly the best for any genre of rock
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts