Thread: Noob with a question ^_^

User Info Menu

Default Noob with a question ^_^

Hey there, I am a total noob to drums, but have always wanted to play, and am finally thinking on getting a set and learning the art of the drums.

I was wondering if i could get some suggestions on what would be a good set to start out on

thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Noob with a question ^_^

Well, my advice to you if you're not invested too much in it yet would be to buy used. You can get incredible deals on better kits than your average starter set. You might also consider borrowing or renting a drum set while you're still deciding. Best of luck!

dave0549jv Guest

+1 on used

User Info Menu

used!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum metooky307, I would have to agree with the rest go used if possible. I scored the Tama 5 pcs in my profile pics for $500, Thats the SKB hardcases and all the drums + stands and that nice throne too. Be patient and find a decent kit it will make a big difference. Jmo. F/T

User Info Menu

Used. I've seen intermediate kits (and even some pro level kits) sell for a lower price than what many entry level kits cost new.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Used! unless you are from a very weathly family that will dole out the cash for the most expensive set possible..and then If you decide that drumming is not for you, then
    2slow may be interested in that set!! Ha Ha..welcome aboard
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I'm with the others about buying used, idealy you would want to find drums+hardware+cymbals in the same package. Check your local craigslist, lots of great deals to be had right now. I'd also suggest sticking to the name brands ie: Tama, Gretsch, Mapex, Pearl, Sonor, Yamaha, Ludwig, etc. All these companies have very decent stuff even in their beginner lines, you can't go wrong.

User Info Menu

You defiantly don't want to blow your entire cash wad, or go into debt for your first kit. As somewhat of a noob myself, I am just beginning to get an idea of what I would desire for my "dream kit" (and that will probably change as I progress). Also I have already put some battle scars on my kit, mostly through my negligence and inexperience. Yes that does hurt but, I get some comfort knowing that I don't have a super expensive high end kit.

Used is a good way to go. Also, with Xmas coming up, you will probably see a lot of things go on sale. Many companies change their kits so be on the lookout for great deals on previous year's models.

User Info Menu

Im going to agree with the rest of the guys here and say get a used set.

Any of the major brands would be a good choice. Dont spend a bunch of $$ until you know the drums are right for you.

Then you can upgrade to what you know you will like.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Yep, I totally agree on the used idea. I made the mistake of buying a beginner kit as my first kit. I was fortunate that I could correct that mistake, but it is an expensive mistake.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thanks for all the replies! I have been checking out craigslist a lot and i have found nearby (Mapex Venus Series Blue 5 Pc Drum Set with all Zildjian Cymbals, Tama Stands. Med Thin crash 16", 18" Crash, Med Ride 20", New Beat Hi Hat 14")
    that set up for $450

any thoughts on that set up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by metooky307 View Post
    thanks for all the replies! I have been checking out craigslist a lot and i have found nearby (Mapex Venus Series Blue 5 Pc Drum Set with all Zildjian Cymbals, Tama Stands. Med Thin crash 16", 18" Crash, Med Ride 20", New Beat Hi Hat 14")
    that set up for $450

any thoughts on that set up?
    Wow...sounds like a great deal!

User Info Menu

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me too, and since I forgot before . . . welcome to Drum Chat!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Before you buy your kit, you might consider buying some drums exercices book, a rubber pad and a pair of sticks to practice. It's a good way to test yourself in regard of the music.

I feel it's a wise way to start playing the drums before you buy some expensive material.

The type of music you intend to play will influence the different kits you can buy. Be sure to understand what you need to buy before you buy.

Go to music shops to sound test the different drums size and cymbals. Try different size of toms to ear the difference, listen carefully.

Compare a steel snare sound with wood snare sound, make some jugements on that.

Take time to verify all the different sounds, it's amazing.

I hope i gave you some inspiration. Have some fun

Bye !