Thread: Drum stick tips

User Info Menu

Default Drum stick tips

I have been using wood tips instead of nylon and it seems like they just fall apart. The tip breaks little chunks off at the grain lines. They only seem to last a short time. One pair I had started to dent my heads because it got so bad. Should I use nylon tipped sticks and what is the real difference otherwise? Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Nylon tips would give a different sound and feel. Try out regular wood tips with a finish over them to prevent chipping, if that doesn't work out then go for the nylon.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I've always used Nylon tips and never had a problem with them. I've always thought they sound better on the cymbals (the ride in particular).

Try to find what stick size you play with in Nylon tips and try them out, I guarantee you won't go back to wood tips.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Nylons will give you a 'softer' sound on cymbals, but if you're playing the tips you probably arent playing super hard anyway. I prefer nylons just because of the durability... I play a lot of hard-hitting music (but not all).
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

ive noticed the same thing with the wood tips not lasting too long. i did have some nylon tips and did feel alot better on the cymbals especially the high hat and ride. they lasted longer too. next stop for sticks will be for more nylons for sure. other than that i think it just comes down to personal preference

User Info Menu

Hm ive had the same problem torque, i think i might have to try nylon as well

User Info Menu

Hmmm........I tried nylons for a while, I kept snapping the tips off......wood for me.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I've always thought they sound better on the cymbals (the ride in particular).\HB58
    Yeah, that real 'ping' type attack on the ride.

You gotta try carbosticks (carbon fibre drumsticks) - they're tougher than wood sticks, black (which is fundamentally more metal) and sound INSANELY good when you play the ride. There's even more attack in the sound.

User Info Menu

Dude....I've broken Ahead sticks like they were made of balsa wood....I'd probably break those carbon fiber sticks, too!! LOL
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Dude....I've broken Ahead sticks like they were made of balsa wood....I'd probably break those carbon fiber sticks, too!! LOL
    I think they need to make "Big & Tall" sticks just like they do clothing

User Info Menu

Why can i imagine BTG buying a 19 inch stick from that place if it existed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Yeah. They break, but they last longer. And the sound I get on my ride cymbal makes me all goose-pimply. It's that good.

Maybe you could use a couple of giant steel rods!!! That would be very ROCK!!!

User Info Menu

Big, Steel Rods... Oh so metal!

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Smile First sticks

I bought, before I knew better, but which I like and practice a lot with, are ProMark DC12i, 17"ers. They are heavy Hickory, and I saw somewhere that one (maybe especially a newby) should practice with heavier sticks so as to build strength. I'm using a traditional grip; but it seems that building strength and/or speed takes a long time. I'm the one w/out patience, so I know it will take longer for me, and I'm an old f...t, so there you go.
    Don
    Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God