Thread: 18 inch bass drum question

User Info Menu

Default 18 inch bass drum question

I am currently looking into buying an 18 inch bass drum kit. I will be playing a gig at a restruant/bar setting out on a deck. I have heard that the 18 inch bass is used for more of jazz playing. Is this correct? Does anyone recommend the smaller bass or have any info for me before I make the purchase. I know that one advantage is easier carry when setting up and moving from gig to gig. Help me guys, what else do I need to know about the smaller bass kit. (It is a Gretsch "catalina kit") Thanks

User Info Menu

The only thing to know is that in most cases you will not get a big sound out of it. If you're in a small, quieter setting, you should be ok.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a great purchase!
    Like drummer said, the only difference is how far it carries, you have to use your kick pretty hard.
    Might I suggest also changing the heads after a few weeks of playing and perhaps buying a woofer to give it more strength.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys. What exactly is a woofer and how does it work. Is it the thing that Russ Miller uses alot on his bass? thanks

User Info Menu

A woofer is sometimes built into a bass head, you can also buy big woofers that attach right onto your bass. All it does is gives the kick a little more "oomph" and carries the sound.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i like my 18" it was once a floor tom but has been converted to a kick. i use it for all my jazz and accoustic gigs. it has an evans superkick1 on he batter and a remo fibreskyn on the front.