Thread: Whats the real diffrence

User Info Menu

Default Whats the real diffrence

Between DW and PDP, their both made by DW, whats the big diffrence

User Info Menu

PDP is DW's entry-level line of drums....HUGE difference. Same as the difference between a Pearl Export and a Masters Custom.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

i'm not as familiar with dw as i am with pearl, but with most companies the dif. between high end kits and intermediate are the features. such as better mounting systems, die cast hoops or thicker flanged hoops instead of thin flanged hoops, better stock heads, 10 lugs as opposed to 8 on kicks and snares...things like that.
    also material is a big price factor. not all maple is created equal, or mahogany for that matter. like african mahogany is denser and more expensive with a richer grain than phillipine mahogany found on alot of cheaper sets...big dif. in sound too. also a a paint job can have a huge impact on price, in the case of dw and pearl masterworks this can equal thousands on a custom kit.
    dw also saves ALOT of money by having the pdp kits built in mexico rather than at thier california facility.

User Info Menu

Wraps vs. Lacquer/custom finishing creates a price difference, as does build quality.
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

Well, i mean, there are professional PDP kits, why make professional PDP kits if theirs a huge diffrence between the DW and PDP?

User Info Menu

Cool Whats the real difference

Same reason that LP has Aspire, CP and LP lines of hand percussion. The PDP line is a (relatively) painless way to get into the dw lines--and funky, you nailed another reason why one is cheaper than the other.

You get what you pay for, but if you can't pay the price for the TOL drums, the lower-priced models will do almost as well....
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Let me think of a different analogy......cars........think of the cheapest PDP kit as....I don't know, let's say......an entry-level Mustang. 6 cylinder engine, cassette player (no CD), roll-down windows, cloth seats, no power accessories at all. Think of a top of the line PDP as the same Mustang, 6 cylinder, power windows and mirrors, A/C, CD player, and fancier alloy rims. Now, think of a DW Collector's Series as a Mustang GT500....fire-breathing, supercharged V8, 6-way power leather seats, power windows, and locks, heated power mirrors, 6-disc CD changer, top of the line aluminum alloy rims with Z-rated tires, metallic paint, racing stripes.......is that better?

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Lol, yea, actually BTG that helped a lot, its like, the top of the line PDP's are just the intermediate kits of the entire DW chain

User Info Menu

pdp has done some some pretty big things in the last year or so. they were getting some bad rep for awhile for some quality issues. the addition of a few exotic veneers finishes and solid single ply snares are nice. and ive heard the hardware is pretty good.

User Info Menu

I use the PDP 900 boom stands that can also be used as a strait stand (theres a hole that the boom arm fits in )

I basically love it, along wit hteh PDP400 pedal, its a beginners, but its quick, very quick, i liked it better than the DW 5000 pedal i used on the DW set, but id have to tune it to get a fair judgment about it (the DW 5000)

User Info Menu

man the difference between the drums is so huge they might as well be different brands, if anything buy a dw
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...