Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Those Of You Who Take Lessons or Have Taken Lessons?

User Info Menu

Default For Those Of You Who Take Lessons or Have Taken Lessons?

Did you ever feel more overwhelmed after a lesson then before? I had a lesson today and now I feel a little more overwhelmed then before....... My teacher seems like he's happy with my progress but I'm a little discouraged now......

BTW, I hate flams, I can't get them! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

User Info Menu

It's like running up and down hills.

When you're on the way up, it hurts like hell and you feel like you're going slow and you can't believe you'll ever make it.

When you hit the top, it's the greatest feeling in the world ... until you start sprinting downhill at top speed.

... and the you reach the next hill ...

User Info Menu

Or like trying to watch a flower grow. You can't see it grow, but you know it is. You need to just relax and have faith that you're making progress. Susan, if you're putting in the time, you'll do just fine!

User Info Menu

yes for sure. i felt like that after every lesson i took! very discouraged and just felt I was going no where. you are improving everyday.

Patience is the biggest thing and one thing that helped me was thinking to myself "today, I am better than yesterday" lol even thought it doesnt feel like it sometimes. the fact is that your improving every day and there is no way we could expect to play like our teacher after one or two lessons.

and those flams lol. i thought i would never get those things right!! but it comes in time with alot of practice and patience

Last edited by livewire80; 04-11-2007 at 11:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Flams are still one of my worst rudiments Susan, and I've been playing a lot longer than you. So believe me when I say you aren't alone.

Just remember not to run yourself down too much and don't make drumming a chore, have fun!

By now you should be developing your drummer's ego. Which can be both a blessing and a curse. It's good to have confidence and belief in yourself, but you can often get knocked off your high horse when you see people better than yourself.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Smile Just starting out

I'm still "tappin" on my practice pads, the homemade ones. Been tryin' to talk myself into getting a "realfeel" real practice pad, but I'm not sure which one to buy. I guess I'm just not quite commited enough yet to spend a little money to get something I might enjoy more, such as a "real" practice pad. I guess the best thing is to stop by the local Guitar Center and see what they have, pound on a few pads, and see for certain what might work for me. I'm tryin' to be patient; something I've truly never been, and keep up the practice I do do, that is about 20 min. per night on the pads. Some of the rudiments are coming easier but some I may never get at all.
    Keepin' the beat,
    Don
    Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

User Info Menu

Just keep at it and it will all come with practice.

User Info Menu

Smile Is that why we use the term

"Practicing" medicine. Or someone's Law "Practice?" Wouldn't it be nice if THEY could get it right?! But we still have to ask these "professional" people how long they've been practicing their trade.
    Don
    Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

User Info Menu

Practice is a noun, practise is a verb.

"The only thing Susan didn't like about drum practice was practising her flams."

Same thing applies to advice and advise.

User Info Menu

well drummer-chick, last lesions i had, i didn't feel like playing the drums or practicing at all because I learned a song and me and my drum teacher were going to jam together and he was playing the bass guitar. I didn't know how to do anything because i wasn't used to hearing just the bass guitar, i needed to hear everything to play it. he said you'll be able to do it with time but i was still so discouraged. so yes i do have those days that are so overwhelming but as jobby said "When you're on the way up, it hurts like hell and you feel like you're going slow and you can't believe you'll ever make it.

When you hit the top, it's the greatest feeling in the world ... until you start sprinting downhill at top speed." thats exactly right. its always a roller coaster. and iv been up hill and down hill so so much and iv only been playing for a a little over a year. And flams.. I know how to do them, but i do not have the right technique at all! so its something i'm struggling with to.

User Info Menu

Never taken lessons in my life. I'd like to learn rudiments from a teacher, but other than that, I don't really like 'learning' art. Same thing with learning guitar- somebody taught me chords and a scale or two and everything else I know is from personal learning.

About flams... what are you trying to do that you can't?
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

Cool For Those of You Who Take Lessons or Have Taken Lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Did you ever feel more overwhelmed after a lesson then before? I had a lesson today and now I feel a little more overwhelmed then before....... My teacher seems like he's happy with my progress but I'm a little discouraged now......

BTW, I hate flams, I can't get them! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    If your teacher is happy, don't worry! It took me forever--or it seemed that way--to master the flams, but I finally got them. Just relax ... keep practicing, and imagine yourself nailing the flams ... and you will!

BTW, Jobby, the U. S. spelling of "practice" has the "c"; sounds like you're thinkin' of the British spelling, which indeed is "practise." Sorta like my having to renew my license plate while you renew your licence plate--and to further befuddle the issue, it would be your number plate!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    BTW, Jobby, the U. S. spelling of "practice" has the "c"; sounds like you're thinkin' of the British spelling, which indeed is "practise." Sorta like my having to renew my license plate while you renew your licence plate--and to further befuddle the issue, it would be your number plate!
    You guys should really start using the English language like everyone else does.

It's bizarre all the little differences that America has built into it's usage of English. It's really frustrating editing a manuscript from an American - always takes a lot of extra work to get it right: removing all the extra 'z's, correcting the spelling of colour, and all the rest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    If your teacher is happy, don't worry! It took me forever--or it seemed that way--to master the flams, but I finally got them. Just relax ... keep practicing, and imagine yourself nailing the flams ... and you will!

Thanks BB, my teacher is very happy with me.......

I did practiced for 4 hours today (6-10), I got my flams and flam taps down!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!! I'm still pretty slow but I'm getting it (I'm very proud of myself today! LOL) I also started conentrating more on the "feel" of the music, and I am getting better at reading music....... I have a CD with sample drum beats on it but my CD player broke, however, I was able to read what the music said and play in on my pad :-) (My butt really hurts from practicing that long LOL)

User Info Menu

wow drummer chick, if you keep this up, you'll be the super_chick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    wow drummer chick, if you keep this up, you'll be the super_chick
    I hope so!!!!!

User Info Menu

i just look at a lesson as a new challenge, and i take that challenge with determination and the thought that i am going to get through it

and you shouldnt hate flams, theyre easy!
    if your doing a Right flam, just keep the left stick an inch or 2 above the head, and the right hand father up, and drop them at the same time. Because the left stick is closer to the head, it will hit the head just a second before the Right stick, and it will be softer, because it is not far off the head. And then for the Left flam, do the same thing but opposite (keep the right stick an inch or 2 from the head)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerbock View Post
    i just look at a lesson as a new challenge, and i take that challenge with determination and the thought that i am going to get through it

and you shouldnt hate flams, theyre easy!
    if your doing a Right flam, just keep the left stick an inch or 2 above the head, and the right hand father up, and drop them at the same time. Because the left stick is closer to the head, it will hit the head just a second before the Right stick, and it will be softer, because it is not far off the head. And then for the Left flam, do the same thing but opposite (keep the right stick an inch or 2 from the head)
    For you maybe they were easy, for DC they were a stepping stone, she has stepped up and over by sticking at it, well done. next comes the flamadiddle!! Please dont tell me they are easy too.

User Info Menu

this is a little of topic but..........

what are flams?lol
    PDP
    paiste high hat
    paiste 18" crash/ride
    zildjian 10" splash

"the beat flows through me"

User Info Menu

Just keep trying DC, as you keep practising one day the light will go off and then you feel like you have been playing them all along and you won't know why you struggled so long. Another approach I take is I quit practising a certain thing like in your case flams for awhile, and then when I go back to them I have a fresh approach and sometimes it just comes because I quite fighting it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: For Those Of You Who Take Lessons or Have Taken Lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
    You guys should really start using the English language like everyone else does.

It's bizarre all the little differences that America has built into it's usage of English. It's really frustrating editing a manuscript from an American - always takes a lot of extra work to get it right: removing all the extra 'z's, correcting the spelling of colour, and all the rest.
    http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/14684.htm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Thanks BB, my teacher is very happy with me.......

I did practiced for 4 hours today (6-10), I got my flams and flam taps down!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!! I'm still pretty slow but I'm getting it (I'm very proud of myself today! LOL) I also started conentrating more on the "feel" of the music, and I am getting better at reading music....... I have a CD with sample drum beats on it but my CD player broke, however, I was able to read what the music said and play in on my pad :-) (My butt really hurts from practicing that long LOL)
    Have you got a cam corder, you should make a video progress diary, might help you see your own improvement better. Also you could show it to the more experienced players on here for advice.

Same goes for everyone actually i guess.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not taking lessons any more My teacher (who wasn't really a teacher) kind of backed out on me, not in a mean way, he just figured we could meet when we meet, nothing on a regular basis............ So now I'm on my own, JOY......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhaAw@ View Post

That's freakin' hilarious - I love it. How I WISH that would happen - it would be so funny.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Well, I'm not taking lessons any more My teacher (who wasn't really a teacher) kind of backed out on me, not in a mean way, he just figured we could meet when we meet, nothing on a regular basis............ So now I'm on my own, JOY......

Cheer up DC - it could be worse - you could have a terrible car accident and never be able to play drums again - although on the upside in that event, you wouldn't feel like you need lessons any longer anyway.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?