Thread: What Drum Skin Would You Recommend?

User Info Menu

Default What Drum Skin Would You Recommend?

Hi, I'm quite a beginner drummer, and I still have my stock-heads that came with my kit, but I'm replacing them soon, I just want to know what skins would you reccommend? I'm quite an all-around drummer, I play from Metal to Jazz, so I'm no sure what skins to choose, thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Drum Skin Would You Recommend?

welcome to drumchat Mr Hebe
    if you can give us what set you have
    it will help

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Evans G2's/Remo Emperors are great all-around heads.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Aquarian Satin Finish Texture coated on snare batter Classic Clear Snare reso, Coated Super-2 on toms batter and Classic Clear on reso and Texture Coated SuperKick I Bass drum batter and Regulator reso.

All around combo for beginners. Coated for Jazz and good control of overtone on all drums...
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Mr Hebe!

A lot of the choice will depend on what your own ears like. For instance, I really like an open sound from my toms, so I generally go with Single ply batter. At the moment, I have single ply coated heads on the toms to warm the sound just a tad. On the sanre, I prefer a bit of overtone control, so I general have a coated Evans Genera HD Dry batter.

Since you are a beginner, I wouldn't so much worry about the "right" heads for the right music, as much as experiment to find out what you like.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+1 pb.

User Info Menu

To be redundant, it's what ever sounds good to you. On a maple kit, you cannot go wrong with coated Remo Emperors, or Ambassadors for that matter. Good all around heads. But that's just the sound I like. Let yer ears decide for you. Good luck!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Mr Hebe!

A lot of the choice will depend on what your own ears like. For instance, I really like an open sound from my toms, so I generally go with Single ply batter. At the moment, I have single ply coated heads on the toms to warm the sound just a tad. On the sanre, I prefer a bit of overtone control, so I general have a coated Evans Genera HD Dry batter.

Since you are a beginner, I wouldn't so much worry about the "right" heads for the right music, as much as experiment to find out what you like.
    This, excellent advice
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I didn't expect so many replies, I'll definately check out some of the skins you recommended, and take note of the advice. Thanks again.