Thread: Tension.....

User Info Menu

Default Tension.....

Anyone have any good ideas on how to work on not being so tense when I play (or I should say practice, I'm not really playing anything yet). My teacher wants me to work on this, any good tips besides yoga or a few beers?

User Info Menu

idk..i get the same way..

User Info Menu

i found that relaxing came with time and feeling comfortable around the kit and as my technique improved along with coordination and balance.

User Info Menu

Some think that when you are learning you should always practice relaxed, asn as soon as your arms feel stiff or hurt you should stop.
    Others say that you have to play relaxed, but when you are trying to gain speed the effort causes some pain, no big deal.
    What do you think?

User Info Menu

Smile Try something

That causes "real" tension, like skydiving, and you'll learn to relax when things are not really stressful. Life is stressful enough in the everyday, so you almost have to make yourself relax by using something else; I like shooting target archery which requires lots of steady nerves. Certain breathing techniques work well too. You just have to find something that works for you. Mowing the grass relaxes me. I think the most stressful thing for me is the drive to work. I'm usually running late, so I have to rush, and it takes several cups of decaf, yes, I said decaf, coffee and hot oatmeal to calm me down for the workday. Whew!!! I'm like y'all, maybe; I'm not calm at the "practice pads" because I'm sort of "requiring" myself to do the practice, so I'm consequently a bit tight. So what's a person to do? I do know it helps to talk about it; that relaxed me.
    Don
    Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

User Info Menu

I always really try to be as relaxed as i can when i play. I find it help me play better and means that i dont drop as many sticks and stuff. If ur feeling tense behind the kit just stop for a second, take a few deep breaths and concentarate on trying to get a relaxed stance.

Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

Thanks, these tips will help..... I'm a naturally tense person so I need all the help I can get (I'm only really relaxed when I sleep LOL).

User Info Menu

HEEH. IM a very relaxed person. My mates mates always think im asleep between lessons.

User Info Menu

When I drum, I naturally become less tense. If you try and think about your drumming so much while you're doing it, I find it makes you more tense.

Just sit back and let your subconsious go at it :P
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

Hey DC,

The tension you are experiencing while playing is totally the "norm" for a newbie. Try to loosen up before you start to practice, stretching, walking, and even yoga yes yoga!! My wife dragged me to a class one day... that was two years ago... I go at least three time a week. Yoga has definitely helped me relax and become more focused while behind the kit. I've noticed my playing has become much more "fluid", free flowing. I only wish I started yoga 16 years ago!!!
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Try Stretching before you play. Remember, Warm Up To Drum- Not Drum To Warm Up!
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Cool Tension...

PF, good call on the stretch'n...

drum_chick, I don't know how far along you are--sounds like you're making progress--but one thing that I do when I'm practicing is jamming with whatever's on the radio or the stereo. Practice not only makes perfect, it also makes me relax...I visualize myself with the other musicians on the tune, on stage, playin' loud and playin' proud...

And don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear (okay, it's the Carpenters' line, but it applies here, too). You gotta start somewhere...and you're gonna develop the more you practice.

Go for it!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck